all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Do push ups give you breast-like pecs?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The logic here is questionable….

It seems to me that the advice is to exclude any exercise that does not emphasis the upper peck over the lower peck in a training plan so as to avoid over developing the lower peck - an imbalance that people believe will result in breast like pecks.

I agree -- the logic is sus.

I'm not seeing a lot of breast-like pecs on those Chinese weightlifters who do huge volumes of dips.

May be off, but I think this physical trait is compounded by having forward shoulder posture more so than the result of developing the pectoral muscles. However, overdevelopment of the anterior musculature in relation to the posterior does contribute to this issue.

When looking at old school bodybuilders, their posture was impeccable and few, if any, suffered this problem, which can perhaps be attributed to the fact that pectoral development was as P describes it, “just a hint of pecs” and bench pressing didn’t exist yet.

Also, I don’t think many modern everyday trainers need to worry that their pecs are going to overshadow Arnold’s.

Pavel also notes in BB that lifters who focus solely on horizontal pressing to the detriment of overhead work will suffer this rounded shoulder look. The solution - overhead and upper back work. Unless you’re doing way more horizontal pressing than pulling, a common neophyte mistake, I wouldn’t worry to much about this problem.

When looking at old school bodybuilders, their posture was impeccable and few, if any, suffered this problem, which can perhaps be attributed to the fact that pectoral development was as P describes it, “just a hint of pecs” and bench pressing didn’t exist yet.

How old are you talking about?

Arthur Saxon?

The post-WWII bodybuilders like Reg Parks and Steve Reeves were already bench pressing in the 1950s.

Unpopular opinion:

If you're not benching at least 2 plates for reps, you don't need to worry about any of this.

You don't have big enough pecs to worry about them being breast-like.
Agreed.
If it IS a concern, just eliminate dips, powerlifting bench technique, level pushups, along with decline and flat bench and or eating to gain mass.

I freely admit this is one reason I do mostly incline bench and do my PU with a hollow body.

BTW. Pavel also sed that overhead presses and dips giv a hint of pecs like 5he old school bodybuilders like Eugene sandow hav.

Sorry - grammar grandpa stepping in here. I just earlier today saw this word also misused in Tim Anderson Pressing Reset..

When you allude to something, you are indirectly referring to it.

Eluding... is when you make it out of the kitchen before your kids realize you got the last piece...

Attachments

• grammar natzi.jpg
    grammar natzi.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: Kev
Sorry - grammar grandpa stepping in here. I just earlier today saw this word also misused in Tim Anderson Pressing Reset..

When you allude to something, you are indirectly referring to it.

Eluding... is when you make it out of the kitchen before your kids realize you got the last piece...
Thanks for the correction. I’ve been up since 2am extinguishing a large structure fire so my brain is practically mush. Arson was suspected so we’ve been also dealing with reports all day as well. I just try to reply on here using my phone on some of my down time.

@Boomer 373737, you've chosen an odd way to word your question.

Hypertrophy of the pectoral muscles in men does not result in "breast-like" protuberances unless perhaps _fat_, and not muscle, is at issue, and exercise is not known to cause the addition of fat to the best of my knowledge.

NB: I find myself now wondering how many posts besides mine it will take before I will have to close this thread. I'm guessing it won't take many.

-S-
I could probably help you along, on general principle.

Pavel's answer: "Yes. Especially as you grow older. There is no convincing reason for a bodybuilder to do declines at all. And even the ever so popular flat bench could do the same for some bodybuilders." He goes on to recommend incline benches and keeping flat benching to low sets and reps, and concludes, "Needless to say, the recommendation to avoid decline presses altogether and just do a moderate volume of flat benches are just opinions. But hanging pecs are a fact."

So I guess I need to add "old age" to "fat" as possible reasons.

It's worth noting, I suppose, that for flat bench, some folks get a big enough arch that it's almost like performing a decline.

-S-

BTW. Pavel also sed that overhead presses and dips giv a hint of pecs like 5he old school bodybuilders like Eugene sandow hav.

Or weightlifters.

maxresdefault.jpg

klokovmuscles-e1431233837204.jpg

Decline benches give you breast-like pecs and flat benched may give them according 2 beyond joy building by pavel. But do push give you breast-like pecs.
Well everyone’s natural anatomy can differ, I’ve always been “barrel chested” as I was told as a child. But I also have a propensity to have “man breasts” when I let my weight balloon. My brother on the other hand has the smallest pecs around

Well everyone’s natural anatomy can differ, I’ve always been “barrel chested” as I was told as a child. But I also have a propensity to have “man breasts” when I let my weight balloon. My brother on the other hand has the smallest pecs around

But getting man boobs because you gained body fat isn't the same as getting "breast pecs" because you did push ups.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom