all posts post new thread

Barbell Does strength matter??

Weight

Level 1 Valued Member
Francis ngannou got strong from shovelling sand

Boxers did countless push ups

Andrew tate became kickboxing world champion due to doing countless push ups, burpees and running a lot

I see khabib nurmegamedov's training highlights in a compilation and all i see are high reps

Jan blahovich(ufc), i saw him explain his barbell training on youtube and he did high reps with a rest of 1 minute

These are all high rep so does strength matter much. All these people got really good at the sports they do

The weight room when you're dealing with athletics is more about supporting the sport than chasing numbers in the weight room, however, I would venture to bet those you listed (especially modern day fighters) have at least a block or 2 in their off-season where they're getting stronger

Joel Jameson talks a lot about that in his MMA book, he dedicates around 12 weeks a year to traditional lifting

Hello,

+1 to the above comments.

One can increase strength endurance by
- increasing near max strength. There will be a natural transfer - meaning creating the potential to - strength-endurance. However this statement is true only if we assume one does some specific strength endurance work to make this transfer happen.
- working directly on strength endurance (high rep)

You can also work on contrast training using light weight (1.5 - 2kg) to do shadow boxing at moderate speed, then doing shadow boxing without weights, at max speed. This will create a lot of speed, power and endurance using specific movement patterns.

Kind regards,

Pet'

You have to be really careful when looking at/analyzing top level athletes.

* They are generally already very good athletes. They are stronger, better conditioned, more coordinated than the average population. They come into the game stronger. These are not regular people training to get stronger. They are strong people training to get better.
* Because of their genetic advantages they can get away with a lot. I might not get "stronger" from doing a lot of push ups. They will.
* Training for elite sports doesn't always develop athletic ability but more so culls out weakness. (Think hell week for SEALS. You aren't doing all that to get better. You're doing all that to see who can handle it. Many top level athletic programs are similar)
* Lastly - we almost never see the whole picture for what top level athletes do. Only snippets.

Andrew tate became kickboxing world champion due to doing countless push ups, burpees and running a lot

I see khabib nurmegamedov's training highlights in a compilation and all i see are high reps

Jan blahovich(ufc), i saw him explain his barbell training on youtube and he did high reps with a rest of 1 minute

These are all high rep so does strength matter much. All these people got really good at the sports they do

How important strength is, and what type of strength you need, depends on your sport.

Which I think everyone already knows....

Since this is the "barbell" section, barbell strength is most applicable to sports that use a barbell (weightlifting, powerlifting), some contact field sports (American football, rugby), throwers (shotput, etc), strongman, probably a few others I'm missing, and after that the translation is diminishing.

I think that perhaps you may be conflating 'strong' with 'big numbers in specific RT lifts'
Many athletic endeavors require 'strong enough'. Their training, while perhaps not perfect, may get them there.
And to be honest, when it comes down to it - strength for many athletic sports/events is secondary to skill/technique. @Boris Bachmann said it best

Way back when I actually did sports I was significantly stronger than most of my peers. A bit faster too. But.. the strength wasn’t sports specific. Sure it helped that I was a beast at the basic powerlifting movements, but after a certain point the skill in the sport matters more, along with focusing on drills to translate better into the field and court.

So I was middling at best in the sports I pursued. If there was a powerlifting option I should have done that.

Now for confidence, health, and durability the extra muscle and strength was invaluable.

Yeah but not as much as we think. If two competitors have equal skill, the stronger one normally wins. Only your sport can answer that question.

In terms of long and healthy life, you don't have to be all that strong. Just strong and mobile enough to not break a hip plus be able to do household chores with little effort.

Reactions: oab

After about 20 years of BJJ training, I would say strength is definitely important. However, you may look at the level of strength that a fighter has in the weight room is probably not very impressive. But if you got in the ring with them or on the mat, you would for sure see they have strength and technique where it matters. Most likely what you see in an athletes training preparation for a competition is a mix of some different sport specific exercises that are helping them peak for a very specific event. Most of strongfirst principles are geared toward general preparedness and not sport specific even though GPP alone will give you plenty if you aren't training for a world title or an Olympic medal. What you see is people at a very very high level of their sport specific career training for some of the most important events of their life so their training, diet, and life style are drastically different than 98% of other people. It is nearly impossible to model the training of such an athlete. Many of us barely used weight training when I was competing in Jiu Jitsu tournaments, with that said many of us dealt with a lot of injuries from over training and not understanding how to implement strength training into our training. Pavel has made mention in a number of his books of Steve Baccari a coach of many high level MMA fighters who use PTTP in the training of his fighters. They may perform exercises such as heavy deadlifts with ten minutes of rest or grease the groove with Captain of Crush grippers for their strength training. But if you look at Russian fighters who are dominant in wrestling, MMA or even a lot of top jiu jitsu fighters have been using kettlebells for their strength and conditioning.

If you haven't heard of Aleksander Karelin, needless to say he was an absolute beast. And I can't help but think strength was on his side big time.

That HGH and other PEDs didn't hurt, either. ;)

Yes, he's a genetic freak. But it was the Soviet system with PEDs being ubiquitous and there is a genetic component to PED response, as well.
Yes I agree. That’s why pro level training is undeniably impossible to even hold into any comparison to what the rest of us should be doing. Many pros coaches are injecting them with the best concoction. Unfortunately, many of us don’t realize this until reaching a high level. That is the dividing fork where you decide do I want to risk everything to be the greatest or accept where my body is capable of reaching without all that stuff.

Just strong and mobile enough to not break a hip plus be able to do household chores with little effort.

My household chores this week consisted of pruning decades overdue tree with a chainsaw and hauling limbs / trunks / logs about 200 feet into the back acreage

Then hacking off the remaining branches with a machete so I could stack the logs into a square coral to start a compost pen.

According to Fitbit, it was about 8000 steps of loaded carries -- some overhead, some too heavy for that, so dragging.

'Household chores' can be extremely YMMV. ;)

Back
Top Bottom