all posts post new thread

Barbell Does strength matter??

My household chores this week consisted of pruning decades overdue tree with a chainsaw and hauling limbs / trunks / logs about 200 feet into the back acreage

Then hacking off the remaining branches with a machete so I could stack the logs into a square coral to start a compost pen.

According to Fitbit, it was about 8000 steps of loaded carries -- some overhead, some too heavy for that, so dragging.

'Household chores' can be extremely YMMV. ;)
Karelin , when asked, said his toughest opponent was his refrigerator. Which he carried up 8 flights of stairs during a move.

Yeah but not as much as we think. If two competitors have equal skill, the stronger one normally wins. Only your sport can answer that question.

In terms of long and healthy life, you don't have to be all that strong. Just strong and mobile enough to not break a hip plus be able to do household chores with little effort.
It's a hard question because the corollary can also be true - in athletes of equal strength, the more skilled will win.

My household chores this week consisted of pruning decades overdue tree with a chainsaw and hauling limbs / trunks / logs about 200 feet into the back acreage

Then hacking off the remaining branches with a machete so I could stack the logs into a square coral to start a compost pen.

According to Fitbit, it was about 8000 steps of loaded carries -- some overhead, some too heavy for that, so dragging.

Oh for sure. Only your definition of chores would dictate how strong you need to be.

Sometimes people are successful in spite of what they do, not because of what they do. The question with some of the examples given would be "was the athletes methodology optimal or could they have been even better with a different protocol?"

There is only 1 sport in the USA where weight training may be necessary for success, American Football. (Note I kind of consider things like Strongman to be hobbies though you might count them as sports.) Even then your mileage may vary by position and person. BUT it definitely helps to have more raw power than your opponent for many sports and many trainers, even marathon coaches, have improved their athletes with it.

I’ve only competed in three sports. Pistol shooting, powerlifting, and strongman.

Obviously strength matters a lot in two of them. The third, you would be surprised how much people spend to control recoil instead of just getting stronger grip and wrist.
That's interesting about the pistol shooting, I remember reading about a guy who used the captain's of crush grippers as training for pistol shooting competitions. He said the stronger his grip became the more his shooting accuracy improved.

Every sport requires a certain amount of strength for optimal outcomes in that sport. Marathoners need less than powerlifters, but they still need some because strength does, in general, make things easier to do, even activities like marathons that don't require much "strength" per se.

Strength training has many uses. It can be a buffer against injury for combat athletes. It can be a posture fixer for cyclists. It can be a durability improver for distance runners. And since almost all sports are asymmetrical in nature (no tennis player moves the racquet from one hand to the other so they can only hit forehands; BJJ competitors generally pass the guard to one side vs another; boxers don't typically switch their stance mid bout) it can, if programmed well, address the asymmetries that build up in all of the above sports and just about every other one.

The amount of time an athlete spends on strength training should be dictated by the amount that that improved strength will help their sports performance. Just about every one of the athletes you listed is/was a champion. Champions work around deficiencies to find a way to win, but that doesn't mean some additional strength won't be helpful. The time spent on strength training should just be equal to the amount of benefit it will deliver.

Strength matters but by itself is no guarantee of anything, including outperforming a stronger subject in anything but direct strength competition (work, fighting, combat sports, longevity, recreation).

Alot of calisthenics guys i follow do high reps, some recomend upto 35, per set! they all look pretty darn good.
Probably pretty strong too

That's interesting about the pistol shooting, I remember reading about a guy who used the captain's of crush grippers as training for pistol shooting competitions. He said the stronger his grip became the more his shooting accuracy improved.
This makes sense as if I am stronger I can control the muzzle better on subsequent shots increasing both speed and accuracy.

This makes sense as if I am stronger I can control the muzzle better on subsequent shots increasing both speed and accuracy.
Yup.

Alternatively you can modify the slide, buy some special ammo that is near squib load, and get faster optics if spending a few weeks getting stronger seems like too much.

Mine used to be carry a bag of green coffee beans through a small stair

Attachments

• IMG_20230625_114625.jpg
    IMG_20230625_114625.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230625_114650.jpg
    IMG_20230625_114650.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 7
Francis ngannou got strong from shovelling sand

Boxers did countless push ups

Andrew tate became kickboxing world champion due to doing countless push ups, burpees and running a lot

I see khabib nurmegamedov's training highlights in a compilation and all i see are high reps

Jan blahovich(ufc), i saw him explain his barbell training on youtube and he did high reps with a rest of 1 minute

These are all high rep so does strength matter much. All these people got really good at the sports they do

Training like this builds resilience/antifragility, which lets the athletes practice their skills more frequently.
That's "all" it is.

Outside of quantitative CGS* sports, skill proficiency is king, weight room strength doesn't matter.
Many, many athletes have found this out over the years.

Outside of that, you hone your skills to capitalize on your natural gifts.
You're big? Learn to use it.
You're small? Learn to use it.
You're fast? Learn to use it.
Good endurance? Learn to use it....

Having said that, if you aren't blessed with natural ability increasing weight room numbers certainly can help.

*CGS = centimeter, grams, seconds

Ive never fired a gun but I can see how it will help. I'm big into grip training and own about 20 grippers and understand that they make the fingers strong.

Grip strength is one of the most important aspects of every sport. The stronger your grip gets the more everything improves.

Back
Top Bottom