all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Double kettlbell GPP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Patrik Novák

Level 3 Valued Member
I have a question or do you know any form of GPP with two kettlbeles?Or double kettbell programs is first and foremost for hypertrophy ?

most of the time I train A + A Snatches
I looking for GPP form of training.

@Patrik Novák This is probably your 10th question on the very same topic (GPP).

- select a program
- stick to the program
- after few months, change the program

Otherwise you will just keep running in the circles.

Hi Pavel no...I want a answer that double kettlbell is good also for GPP or just for hypertrophy because nearly every time I see one hand Kettlbell snatches or swings for GPP.

@Patrik Novák Are you using the term GPP to refer to strength endurance? Double KB clean and press (or clean and push press/jerk) can be used as a strength endurance exercise, hypertrophy or power-building protocol depending on the load/volume/frequency.

It sounds like you're really keen on the idea of using two kettlebells for some reason so just go for it and don't worry about whether it's 'GPP' or not. If you've a specific reason for avoiding muscle hypertrophy, let us know and we can make suggestions specific to your case.

If you're after a treid and tested program, you might want to look at trying a modified version of the Javorek Complex:

The Javorek Complex comprises six movements performed with a barbell loaded to 50% of the athlete's Clean & Jerk 1RM but you could make a few small adjustments and use a pair of KBs:
  • A. Barbell Upright Row (KB upright row),  6 reps
  • B. Barbell Muscle Snatch (KB snatch),  6 reps
  • C. Back Squat to Push Press (KB front squat to push press),  6 reps
  • D. Good Morning (KB swing or RDL),  6 reps
  • E. Bent Over Row (KB bent over row),  6 reps
The effect it will have on you depends on how heavy the bells are (trying to do this with a pair of 32kg bells would be an absolute monster but with a pair of 8kg bells could be considered 'cardio' for a tough individual), how many rounds you want to do and how many times per week you do it.
There are a lot of options. To paraphrase @Pavel Macek, just pick a program and do it! Stick with it for a few weeks and don't spend too much time thinking about it. If you're getting the results you want, stick with it some more. If you're not, let us know what you did and why it wasn't working for you and we can suggest meaningful alternatives.

@Pavel Macek is right. Stick to a program and follow it. The last five years I trained the ROP and S&s at the most. A few 4 weeks blocks I did barbell training. I love kettlebell and came always back to them. I do the ladders with 32 kg. Get ups with 48 kg. My cardio is outstanding. Now I give Q&D a try to give my strength more speed and power. I will do this program the next 12 weeks.

Everything on strongfirst is gpp. Just stick to something.

Do your Q&D 3x per week and do the armor building complex by Dan John once a week for 8-15 sets and you are perfectly set.

ABC:
Double KB
2x clean
1x press
3x squat

you are welcome.

@Patrik Novák Are you using the term GPP to refer to strength endurance? Double KB clean and press (or clean and push press/jerk) can be used as a strength endurance exercise, hypertrophy or power-building protocol depending on the load/volume/frequency.

It sounds like you're really keen on the idea of using two kettlebells for some reason so just go for it and don't worry about whether it's 'GPP' or not. If you've a specific reason for avoiding muscle hypertrophy, let us know and we can make suggestions specific to your case.

If you're after a treid and tested program, you might want to look at trying a modified version of the Javorek Complex:

The Javorek Complex comprises six movements performed with a barbell loaded to 50% of the athlete's Clean & Jerk 1RM but you could make a few small adjustments and use a pair of KBs:
  • A. Barbell Upright Row (KB upright row),  6 reps
  • B. Barbell Muscle Snatch (KB snatch),  6 reps
  • C. Back Squat to Push Press (KB front squat to push press),  6 reps
  • D. Good Morning (KB swing or RDL),  6 reps
  • E. Bent Over Row (KB bent over row),  6 reps
The effect it will have on you depends on how heavy the bells are (trying to do this with a pair of 32kg bells would be an absolute monster but with a pair of 8kg bells could be considered 'cardio' for a tough individual), how many rounds you want to do and how many times per week you do it.
There are a lot of options. To paraphrase @Pavel Macek, just pick a program and do it! Stick with it for a few weeks and don't spend too much time thinking about it. If you're getting the results you want, stick with it some more. If you're not, let us know what you did and why it wasn't working for you and we can suggest meaningful alternatives.

Thank you very much this is gold ;)

Or is better do Double KT complex with lighter weight 24kg or so...?
I can press 32kg on one hand 8-11x times and double 32kg 2-3x times

Thank you very much this is gold ;)

You're very welcome!

Rather than guessing based on your current lifts, start practising with light bells and work your way up; you'll soon find out what your 'working weight' is.

select a program
- stick to the program
- after few months, change the program
strong advice

Novák Are you using the term GPP to refer to strength endurance? Double KB clean and press (or clean and push press/jerk) can be used as a strength endurance exercise, hypertrophy or power-building protocol depending on the load/volume/frequency

In this thread is my personal inclination towards double bell work:
Kettle bell thrusters (cross fit)

In spring this year I experimented with heavy clean & pushpress, clean & pushpress & frontsquat. For 2 or three mobths.

I did mostly singles. I approach it the A+A way: rest until breath and hr settled. 30 minutes - a bit over 60 minutes.

That allows for building up great technique, capacity to be getting more work done in the same time period with same heart rates improves immensely.
It is for my a safe and almost convenient way to be be getting a bit more of my bodyweight over my head repeatedly. This should build some strength-endurance.

It is also a great match to the A+A snatches: are the hands beat up from snatches, they can get an almost convenient active rest with the double clean and pushpress. A session has a really nice groove. 2x44kg feels in a way 'easier' than snatching one 44kg for 5 oddly.

I have a question or do you know any form of GPP with two kettlbeles?Or double kettbell programs is first and foremost for hypertrophy ?

As the name implies, GPP is not a specific type of training. It is just any training that lays the foundation for your SPP. So depending on the needs of your specialized sport or activity, GPP may vary greatly.

However, since GPP is general, there are certain kinds of training that carry over to many different specific sports/activities, and the term has been adopted by people with no need for more specialized training at all (Dan John's Quadrant 3).

ANY double KB training could be considered GPP, depending on context. For instance, I think double KB front squats are one of the best exercises for basketball players, and I also do both A+A training and Q&D using double cleans. On the other hand, if you are a competitor in Girevoy Sport long cycle, then using double KBs in your event practice would be SPP.

By the same token, ANY hypertrophy training could be considered GPP, depending on context. For instance, an American football player trying to add muscle. Or myself, a (chronologically) mature person interested in maintaining what I consider a healthy and aesthetically pleasing level of muscle mass that is also useful for my recreational sport. On the other hand, if you are a competitive bodybuilder, then hypertrophy training is more SPP since it is one of the main things you are judged on.

Last edited:
strong advice

In this thread is my personal inclination towards double bell work:
Kettle bell thrusters (cross fit)

In spring this year I experimented with heavy clean & pushpress, clean & pushpress & frontsquat. For 2 or three mobths.

I did mostly singles. I approach it the A+A way: rest until breath and hr settled. 30 minutes - a bit over 60 minutes.

That allows for building up great technique, capacity to be getting more work done in the same time period with same heart rates improves immensely.
It is for my a safe and almost convenient way to be be getting a bit more of my bodyweight over my head repeatedly. This should build some strength-endurance.

It is also a great match to the A+A snatches: are the hands beat up from snatches, they can get an almost convenient active rest with the double clean and pushpress. A session has a really nice groove. 2x44kg feels in a way 'easier' than snatching one 44kg for 5 oddly.

Mr.Harald apprecieate your advice...
Thank you...

Better is always dependent on context..

The quality of the reps and sets will always be the indicator which is better and more beneficial for the individual.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom