all posts post new thread

Dumbell lifting

Bradley Duggan

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi guys.

Today was supposed to be a rest day. Been doing iron cardio with 24s.
I have been noticing Pavels simplex strong on old school dumbell lifting. So I got a dumbell and managed to clean, press the 30kg (66lb) quite smoothly and got 1 not so good rep with the 32.5kg. I simply done 5 reps on each side with the 30kg, followed up by the dumbell swing/press 30kg 5 each side, stretched and left the gym. I felt great and strong and enjoyed this style of lifting. I'm going to try and add a leg movement. I was thinking a B Stance Dumbell squat supported with my opposite hand as the dumbells are more awkward compared to kettlebells.

Anymore information on this style of training or experiences I'd love to hear or get more information please.

These guys love that kind of work and might be a good source of info: Bryce Lane, Ross Enamait, Brook Kubik. Did Steve Justa use a single, heavy DB? I don't think so , but I'm not sure.

I just remembered, Strongfirst France has a dumbbell course that looks really good:

Until Pavel's book comes out, I highly recommend "Dinosaur Dumbbell Training" by Brooks Kubik. I have found that heavy dumbbell training is an awesome experience, not the "little pink ones" as Brooks has described them!

Different pressing groove, slightly different ballistic style but definitely worth a go!

Try the Sig Klein Challenge....
two75 pound dumbbells for 12 reps. From some of my personal research it appears the reps were taken from the floor on each rep. No pre swing. It's a killer. In the 1930s Sig felt that maybe there were only about a dozen men who could nanage it. He was one of them. Amazingly, he weighed 150 pounds so he did that feat using his bodyweight! I find that impressive.

Step 1: Check out the free dumbbell swing video tutorial and manual here: Hard Style Dumbbell Swing Tutorial [Free Video & .pdf Manual] - SIMPLEXSTRONG

Step 2: Follow the dumbbell updates on my social media channels.

Step 3: Wait for the official StrongFirst dumbbell online course named [THIS INFO IS CLASSIFIED] to be released at the end of 2023/beginning of 2024. We are in the process of editing the videos - sneak preview below.

Goblet squats with DBs are even better than kettlebells. The chalice grip is easier and you can easily set up a DB on a plyo box or similar so the pickup is easier.

I've never understood why KB goblet squat are done holding the horns. I just flip it upside down with the horns hanging down like a dumbbell. It's much more comfortable.

I've never understood why KB goblet squat are done holding the horns. I just flip it upside down with the horns hanging down like a dumbbell. It's much more comfortable.
Depends on the weight - when I was doing S&S, I was regularly doing sets of 5 with 56kg: hard to flip and hold. Grabbing the heavy kettlebell by the horns is way easier, as explained here: Kettlebell Simple & Sinister: Tips for Heavy Goblet Squats | StrongFirst

Re: Dumbbell goblet squats - it depends on the type of dumbbell, e.g., loadable vs. fixed (hex) dumbbells. If you have any tips on how to get a heavy loadable dumbbell into a goblet rack, please let me know: I have experimented with a couple of ways, but I am not 100% satisfied, maybe there are better ways.

Depends on the weight - when I was doing S&S, I was regularly doing sets of 5 with 56kg: hard to flip and hold. Grabbing the heavy kettlebell by the horns is way easier, as explained here: Kettlebell Simple & Sinister: Tips for Heavy Goblet Squats | StrongFirst

Re: Dumbbell goblet squats - it depends on the type of dumbbell, e.g., loadable vs. fixed (hex) dumbbells. If you have any tips on how to get a heavy loadable dumbbell into a goblet rack, please let me know: I have experimented with a couple of ways, but I am not 100% satisfied, maybe there are better ways.
It kind of defeats the idea of using widely available implements, but loadable circus dumbbells can stand on their end making it easier to pick up from the bottom position

lol that's so weird to hear... the exact reason I flip them upside down is because the heavy bells are uncomfortable to hold by the horns. Maybe it's because I did a lot of Jeff Martone's H2H drills back in the day, but I feel like flipping and catching is second nature to me.

It kind of defeats the idea of using widely available implements, but loadable circus dumbbells can stand on their end making it easier to pick up from the bottom position
The typical loadable dumbbells are hard to stand on their end (because of the protruding bar). The most common type today - hex dumbbells - easy of course.

Old-timers loved to do these drills (of course - we teach them at SFB ad recommend to use kettlebells or dumbbells):

lol that's so weird to hear... the exact reason I flip them upside down is because the heavy bells are uncomfortable to hold by the horns. Maybe it's because I did a lot of Jeff Martone's H2H drills back in the day, but I feel like flipping and catching is second nature to me.
Flipping the bells is an absolutely valid option, no doubts about that - but holding the heavy (hardstyle) kettlebells by the horns is IMHO way easier than flipping 48kg, 56kg, or heavier kettlebells (please check out the article).

I have done goblet squats with a 68kg kettlebell (at bodyweight 68kg), and we have even heavier bells in my gym - up to 92kg.

Flipping the bells is an absolutely valid option, no doubts about that - but holding the heavy (hardstyle) kettlebells by the horns is IMHO way easier than flipping 48kg, 56kg, or heavier kettlebells (please check out the article).

I have done goblet squats with a 68kg kettlebell (at bodyweight 68kg), and we have even heavier bells in my gym - up to 92kg.

The heaviest I've done them with is 48kg and, yeah, I'd just do a double-hand high pull, catch and squat.

All good though. I'm just surprised I'm the weirdo outlier on this, but that's pretty much the story of my training life. lol

Then just set on its end on a plyo box. Hex/pro style will still be way easier to deal with but it’ll work.

Looks like the DB capper went out of business so I’m not sure if there is another 1” bar solution out there.

Until Pavel's book comes out, I highly recommend "Dinosaur Dumbbell Training" by Brooks Kubik. I have found that heavy dumbbell training is an awesome experience, not the "little pink ones" as Brooks has described them!

Different pressing groove, slightly different ballistic style but definitely worth a go!

Try the Sig Klein Challenge....
two75 pound dumbbells for 12 reps. From some of my personal research it appears the reps were taken from the floor on each rep. No pre swing. It's a killer. In the 1930s Sig felt that maybe there were only about a dozen men who could nanage it. He was one of them. Amazingly, he weighed 150 pounds so he did that feat using his bodyweight! I find that impressive.
Gave it a heat check this am. Warm up was #15',20,30"s , for 12, then 40,40,45,50,40"s, rogue hex db's from the ground, touch and go, 4 mins rest btwn. last three sets, total time 25:56.
I like it.
Thanks John.
And yes, dbl. 75's, crazy impressive.

The typical loadable dumbbells are hard to stand on their end (because of the protruding bar). The most common type today - hex dumbbells - easy of course.

Old-timers loved to do these drills (of course - we teach them at SFB ad recommend to use kettlebells or dumbbells):

Try one of these styles, you can load them up pretty heavy. The big (custom) one we have is 156lb before plates.

Back
Top Bottom