all posts post new thread

Dumbell lifting

Then just set on its end on a plyo box. Hex/pro style will still be way easier to deal with but it’ll work.

Looks like the DB capper went out of business so I’m not sure if there is another 1” bar solution out there.
Oh, nice, thank you for the tip! But still, I need to find something universal, for any type of dumbbell. I do have something on my mind, I will share it soon.

I regularly do some hybrid of @Pavel Macek dumbell program minimum and The Best All Around Training Method Ever when I find myself in hotel gyms. I’m almost always guaranteed a 50lbs dumbell to play with. It’s a good use a time!
That is exactly why I started with dumbbell lifting years ago - frequent traveling. First, lifted the dumbbells just like kettlebells, but then I thought that everything that is worth doing is worth doing right. I dived deep into my extensive collection of old magazines, booklets, books, and training manuals, and found out that back in the old days, there was a comprehensive system of dumbbell lifting. Stay tuned for StrongFirst /Hard Style dumbbell - you will like it, guaranteed.

That is exactly why I started with dumbbell lifting years ago - frequent traveling. First, lifted the dumbbells just like kettlebells, but then I thought that everything that is worth doing is worth doing right. I dived deep into my extensive collection of old magazines, booklets, books, and training manuals, and found out that back in the old days, there was a comprehensive system of dumbbell lifting. Stay tuned for StrongFirst /Hard Style dumbbell - you will like it, guaranteed.
I look forward to the SF Hardstyle dumbbell instructions. I have the same training while traveling conundrum and I would love to have something that I can incorporate into my training as a regular hotel-gym alternative

Results are mixed

This is actually a dumbbell (overhead) swing: see the differences here:

Please check out the free tutorial on how to do them the way the old-time strongmen did them in order to be able to them heavy in the future. Hard Style Dumbbell Swing Tutorial [Free Video & .pdf Manual] - SIMPLEXSTRONG

There are many important details - use of the non-lifting hand, pre-swing, drop (or "dive"), use of the triple extension and dipping under the bell, etc. (more details and variations will be covered in the full online course).

The heaviest I've done them with is 48kg and, yeah, I'd just do a double-hand high pull, catch and squat.

All good though. I'm just surprised I'm the weirdo outlier on this, but that's pretty much the story of my training life. lol
I only have kb up to 48 as well. That's what I always do. I have the handle towards me, I like to keep it 1cm in front of my sternum (in the level of the manubrium). I always felt it was easier that way. Only the drop portion is more problematic, I train in my living room... I don't want 48kg through the floor so I better catch it.

Do what you can with what you got. It does it's job.
Atlas stones vs natural stones.
Circus dumbbells vs perfect gym dumbbells vs Apollon.
Different that is all.
If you got better tools for exactly what YOU need, good for you I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
lol but also the big circus dumbbell isn’t a good idea (check my second video). The smaller one works perfect though.

Do what you can with what you got. It does it's job.
Atlas stones vs natural stones.
Circus dumbbells vs perfect gym dumbbells vs Apollon.
Different that is all.
If you got better tools for exactly what YOU need, good for you I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Definitely - when traveling, you should be able to lift any type of dumbbell. But when purchasing a dumbbell for your courage corner, there are better or worse choices. The best type of dumbbell you can get is IMHO a loadable dumbbell similar to what I have or what @John Grahill posted.

Definitely - when traveling, you should be able to lift any type of dumbbell. But when purchasing a dumbbell for your courage corner, there are better or worse choices. The best type of dumbbell you can get is IMHO a loadable dumbbell similar to what I have or what @John Grahill posted.
@Pavel Macek is correct for sure! The Ironmind "Big Boy" DB handles come with what they call "bulldog" collars that have two screws that bite into the iron. Big consideration for overhead work! I have some Olympic handles but I much prefer the "Big Boys".

Back
Top Bottom