all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed EASY MUSCLE (Geoff Neupert)

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I think my year is planned out now. Currently doing DBL cleans only, and want to do Strong ( again ) later in the year, so I think schedule B will slot in between the two. Im in between RM with pressing so I’ll try heavier bells with push press. Can always drop it back.

Is it normal in the 3rd phase of Schedule C for the dips and chins to get brutally hard on the highest rep day? I was expecting just to keep getting better, as things had before. To stick with RPE8 I only got 4 sets and in one set the dips couldn't quite hit the target reps.

I think it depends on what your rep max was before you started Schedule C. So if my dip rep max was only 5 at the start, I would expect the last couple of weeks to be nasty. If OTOH my rep max was 10-12, I'd have better odds of getting through the final set of workouts - not that they would be easy workouts but at least I'd be able to do all the reps.

This is assuming one is following the guardrails. I've seen other people here mention struggling to stick to the autoregulation rules - that is, peeps who can't help but push harder and turn the workout more into a metcon.

Last edited:
Perhaps there is a learning curve to autoregulation. When cardio is involved, as in swings and cleans, I can tell when I'm puffing too hard. On grinds-only days I may have to practice to try to fit a given RPE.

Perhaps there is a learning curve to autoregulation. When cardio is involved, as in swings and cleans, I can tell when I'm puffing too hard. On grinds-only days I may have to practice to try to fit a given RPE.
I do not find breathing is a great indicator for when to go for grinds like squats and presses. Some people recover breathing wise very quickly but if they were to try a set again, they’d fail. It may have to do with how much “cardio” you do, or it may just differ person to person.

I use the talk test to help determine when to do another set of grinds, as well as a general feeling of readiness to begin each rep explosively (fast concentric, followed by controlled but not super slow eccentric). It seems to coincide with the burning sensation going away - that burning feeling that I get from breathing hard due to effort.

I did have previous experience using the talk test - the Simple and Sinister program.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom