all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed EASY MUSCLE (Geoff Neupert)

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
We had some excellent and immediately useful answers in the thread already. I am still curious to hear what @Geoff Neupert has to say specifically on his program. As someone using swings and dips without a large collection of KBs or a dip belt I will probably need that answer too on the day my RMs get too high. I'd like to know what the upper limit is on reps would be before GN says "that's too light to be effective on this plan." A 15 rep max? 20 rep max? Would it be different for upper body and lower body exercises?
Without sounding like I'm having a go at you, GN has already listed the "optimum" RM for the intended outcome for his programs - the more you change it, you aren't doing the program any more. Adding or reducing a few reps by a % based on your RM with that movement won't matter much when it's say your 12RM for a 10RM program, but making your 15RM fit a 10RM is probably going to change the outcome quite a lot more.

Not saying not to do it, but it bears keeping in mind.

Without sounding like I'm having a go at you, GN has already listed the "optimum" RM for the intended outcome for his programs - the more you change it, you aren't doing the program any more. Adding or reducing a few reps by a % based on your RM with that movement won't matter much when it's say your 12RM for a 10RM program, but making your 15RM fit a 10RM is probably going to change the outcome quite a lot more.

I agree that the intended results come from the intended program. However, Geoff Neupert has clicked "like" on people mentioning his newsletter and other mods that change the percentages, so close results apparently come when close to the program:
Some highlights from the GN "liked" posts include:
"You can adjust any of GN’s programs (the auto reg ones with specific reps at least). For example" and showed how to apply the percentages
"Geoff has recommended this approach (reducing reps per set according to your RM) a couple of times in his publications, so this is not just DIY tinkering."
And the third "liked" link has a plan that includes a 15 pushups RM. This changed both the rep range AND a changing specific exercise from the plan.

So this type of mod to the program is not something he objects to. I actually want to run Schedule C until my swing is so heavy I have to lean back with a shoulder to ankle plank to counterbalance the weight. Then I'll switch to Schedule B. But heavy kettlebells are expensive and I'm not sure how much I want to load dips with my current setup. Knowing how far I should take each exercise's reps would be helpful.

Last edited:
I agree that the intended results come from the intended program. However, Geoff Neupert has clicked "like" on people mentioning his newsletter and other mods that change the percentages, so close results apparently come when close to the program:
Some highlights from the GN "liked" posts include:
"You can adjust any of GN’s programs (the auto reg ones with specific reps at least). For example" and showed how to apply the percentages
"Geoff has recommended this approach (reducing reps per set according to your RM) a couple of times in his publications, so this is not just DIY tinkering."
And the third "liked" link has a plan that includes a 15 pushups RM. This changed both the rep range AND a changing specific exercise from the plan.

So this type of mod to the program is not something he objects to. I actually want to run Schedule C until my swing is so heavy I have to lean back with a shoulder to ankle plank to counterbalance the weight. Then I'll switch to Schedule B. But heavy kettlebells are expensive and I'm not sure how much I want to load dips with my current setup. Knowing how far I should take each exercise's reps would be helpful.
Fair enough, and I wasn't trying to say not to do it, but you did ask about the upper limit for reps, the way I read the program is that it is designed for a certain RM with some wiggle room. I'd also be curious as to what GN says, but TBH I've paid for his programming expertise so I try not to butcher it too much.

I started EM this past Monday and took on @John K 's advice - thanks to everyone that provided me with input.

I didn't mean to butcher Geoff's program, and wouldn't have bought two of his programs if I didn't think they were good. However, I didn't have a 10RM so I had to somehow adapt it. If Geoff has a different suggestion, I would very much like to hear it.

They dang sure are!! Have you considered a T-Handle? I built this one for a few dollars. Best thing is that you can adjust the weight, mine is pictured w/ four 25lb plates:
This is exactly what I need. I can even borrow the plates, making the setup ridiculously cheap. FANTASTIC!
1706905968658.png

@Geoff Neupert thanks for your helpful response. Can I ask one more question? I plan to do Schedule B and just tested my RM for the FSQ:

2x20kg 15 reps
2x24kg 3 reps (3-4 mins after the 20kg RM, could have gotten to 5-6 but I would not have reached 10reps)

What should I do for my 10RM squat? 2x20kg but slow down the eccentric? Paused Squats? Any other suggestions?
Apologies, just seeing this now...

Pause squats and/or 1 and 1/2 squats should work nicely.

Pause for 2 seconds in the hole and then stand back up. Or -

Squat, stand until you hit the sticking point, and squat back down into the hole, and then stand back up.

Or combine the two.

Hope that helps.

I've found the 4-5RM for strength the most reliable.

And the 10RM for hypertrophy the most reliable.

But, there can be a range on either side of them:

Strength 5RM --> 4-6RM

Hypertrophy 10RM --> 8-12RM

Why?

It simply accommodates for individual's training backgrounds and genetic [pre-]dispositions for force production.

Hope that helps.

It's not something I object to, but these "likes" are all in the context of modifications that need to be made, like "heavy kettlebells are expensive" and users' other current limitations.

They are examples of what my coach, Alfonso drilled into my head: "Any system can work, if applied properly."

So these are all examples of having a system, and applying changes to that system to keep the system intact.

The reason I use RM specifications is because that's what I've found works the best for the results we're after.

It doesn't mean other RMs won't work, they just won't work the way I want them to work for the goals I'm trying to achieve with the programming.

The goals of the modifications are to get the users as close to those programming outcome goals as possible, with their current limitations.

But again, the goal is to use the program specs whenever possible for the optimum outcome.

Hopefully that clears up any confusion.

I'm in my second week of Easy Muscle. I opted for Schedule B. I'm 54 and have been training consistently for 7 years. My clean & press 5RM with my weak hand (left) is 55lbs/25kg. My problem is that I can't do a double clean with this weight. One arm at a time is fine though. I can't get the double clean off the floor into the rack position with the left hand. I can only double clean 40lbs/18kg with good form. I'm going to do single c&p with the 25kg to build the strength in my left side. Should I do Dead cleans or cleans with a swing?

For dips I'm using a 10lb plate on a dip belt and squats I'm doing 1-1/4 goblet squats with a 32kg kettlebell. I love goblet squats! Chin ups, just bodyweight.

On the first day after the lifting portion I decided to do the advanced version of Dead Bugs. My core got hammered and was sore for 2 days after. I didn't do Dead Bugs the next 2 training sessions and realized how much my core is getting hit with just the training exercises.

I was skeptical about this program at first. I've never done so few exercises. The last kettlebell program I did was 8 weeks, 4 days a week, full body, 7-8 exercises at 4 sets each. Each training session lasted 90 minutes. Some days were easy to get thru. Other days I thought I was going to die.

I'm going to continue Easy Muscle as it was written till the end. I got the 8 week version. I want to do it for 12 weeks. Should I just repeat the last 4 weeks.

I'll say this and then I'll shut up. Getting back to my skepticism, I've never done c&p or dips this heavy. I've never seriously done chin ups before. I'm amazed at how many different muscles these exercises hit. I'm excited that I'm done in 30 minutes (with warm up). I'm no longer a skeptic. I'm a believer! BOOM!!

I'm in my second week of Easy Muscle. I opted for Schedule B. I'm 54 and have been training consistently for 7 years. My clean & press 5RM with my weak hand (left) is 55lbs/25kg. My problem is that I can't do a double clean with this weight. One arm at a time is fine though. I can't get the double clean off the floor into the rack position with the left hand. I can only double clean 40lbs/18kg with good form. I'm going to do single c&p with the 25kg to build the strength in my left side. Should I do Dead cleans or cleans with a swing?

For dips I'm using a 10lb plate on a dip belt and squats I'm doing 1-1/4 goblet squats with a 32kg kettlebell. I love goblet squats! Chin ups, just bodyweight.

On the first day after the lifting portion I decided to do the advanced version of Dead Bugs. My core got hammered and was sore for 2 days after. I didn't do Dead Bugs the next 2 training sessions and realized how much my core is getting hit with just the training exercises.

I was skeptical about this program at first. I've never done so few exercises. The last kettlebell program I did was 8 weeks, 4 days a week, full body, 7-8 exercises at 4 sets each. Each training session lasted 90 minutes. Some days were easy to get thru. Other days I thought I was going to die.

I'm going to continue Easy Muscle as it was written till the end. I got the 8 week version. I want to do it for 12 weeks. Should I just repeat the last 4 weeks.

I'll say this and then I'll shut up. Getting back to my skepticism, I've never done c&p or dips this heavy. I've never seriously done chin ups before. I'm amazed at how many different muscles these exercises hit. I'm excited that I'm done in 30 minutes (with warm up). I'm no longer a skeptic. I'm a believer! BOOM!!
No, don’t repeat the last four weeks. Just increase the reps, that’s likely the 12 week version anyways…

Notice how the reps are increase from phase 1 to phase 2 by a specific amount (1)?

Do the same thing from phase 2 to phase 3…

Hello, all!

49 y/o, 6', and 288# as of yesterday.

I am on week 6 of Schedule B and really enjoying it. Although it might seem like a waste, I am doing this first round with double 16s, and pushups and TRX rows in lieu of dips and pullups. Double 20s would be more in-line with the prescribed loading scheme, but after almost 3 years of a rough divorce, a completely out-of-control diet, and almost no training, I gained around 75 pounds and became pretty deconditioned.

This has let me ease back into training, and with a much cleaner diet, I'm down about 23 pounds since the New Year. I'm moving better and feeling pretty good. I'm really enjoying the program plan to repeat it with the 20s and then 24s while working up to the dips and pullups. That should take me into mid-summer, and then I'll re-evaluate.

Other than Easy Muscle, I am walking 20-60 minutes/day and doing some light swings/snatches on off days, as well as some hanging leg raises. This feels very sustainable, and has me moving and feeling better than I have in quite a while. Geoff has hit it out of the park with this program, IMO. Anyone looking for a well-rounded program (that has some fun variation built in by incorporating bodyweight movements along with the kettlebell work) can't go wrong with Schedule B.

I’ve always had great results with Geoff’s stuff by going a bit on the lighter side, as I’m an average mid 40’s bloke with a dodgy knee. That includes the Wolf, Giant 3.0 and phase 1 and 2 of Strong. Going lighter ( 2x16, then 2x20 ) on Giant 3,0 allowed me to build enough reps to get me through the first 2 phases of Strong ( 2x24 ) which has allowed me to start using my 28’s as my standard C&P and FSQ weight. And I plan on using the same to get up to my 32’s.

The only problem is now I have to work more overtime to buy a 2nd 36kg and 40kg bell.

Bonehead74 congrats on your success. I hadn't been walking much in addition to the EM program (I'm on Schedule C now) but I suddenly found it is an almost meditative activity that pairs well with the unexpectedly meditative simplicity of EM.

This is long overdue.

After reading Strength Shortcuts 2.0 when he released it, I started asking @Geoff Neupert if he would consider writing up the Easy Muscle plan he described within. So when he produced this product, I was definitely going to buy it. Unfortunately he released just as I was scheduled for surgery, and it was uncertain what limitations I would face afterwards. Waiting was forced upon me. After regaining most functionality, but still having some limitations, I gave Schedule B a run.

Not going to cite my stats. Between age and lifting age (plus yeah, the last year), this was all about regaining, not new gains. But I did keep data and make notes to report.

The good:

VERY sustainable. Never got to the point of feeling like a deload would be a good idea.
Spine health felt very good - those B days work.
Upper body strength was regained as well as any other program I've tried, including for lifts not done.
Fat mass and waist decreased - not needed, but still a positive.
LBM was increased.

The acceptable:

LBM (re)gains were not as not as great as with certain other programs used in recent years. This is not surprising, as lower body loading was less. This was tied to the sustainability. The programs which had greater LBM gains were not as sustainable, and were in any case not realistic options for me at that point.

I suspected that my results had been somewhat limited by not having regained more strength and functionality prior to starting the program. Following a week off, I did a few weeks dedicated to regaining both, and simply doing squats and deadlifts resulted in more LBM (re)gain than the recent run through EM. Time to try EM again.

I made a second run through Schedule B, this time with a heavier KB for C&P and using regular squats, for a heavier lower body loading. The results:

Still very sustainable, though at the end it became clear that a deload was going to be needed. That may just be me needing an extra guard rail on squats, or it may be normal.

Spine health still felt very good, with the B days seeming even more valuable.

LBM (re)gains were 50% to 100% better than the first time through. (There is so much potential error in measurements and calculations.) Still not as great as for others but certainly good.

Geoff, thank you for putting out this quality product.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom