all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Easy Strength Plan - Opinions?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

OldAndWeak

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey all, following up on an older similar thread, I've been doing group training with a lot of focus on principles followed here, and they even just did the TSC (I wasn't ready for it, wouldn't mind trying in the future)

I need to go solo for a month or two and figured I'd embark upon my own routine designed around the Easy / Easier Strength combined with stuff I've read here. Would love opinions. Goal is in and out 45-60 mins depending on the day. Goal is 5x/week but realistically I think it'll be 4x/week. Workout goals are to get somewhat of a HIIT-like high-energy workout for my heart health but really focused on increasing all-around strength. Basically spend more time with resistance, less time on stuff like box jumps or crawls for the next few weeks. I'm worried maybe I'm packing too much in here, but these are things I want to see myself 'get better at'...

Warmups:
Turkish Getups - 1x3 (each side)
KB Swings 15 reps
Pullups 5x5 (with assistance band, can't do 1 solo yet)
Rowing 500m for time x 2
Pushups 20+/day (that's my current max, goal is 100, perhaps break it into sets of 10)

Routine (repeat every 10 days)
Day 1 2x5
2 2x5
3 "5/3/2"
4 2x5
5 2x5
6 2x5
7 6 singles
8 1x10
9 2x5
10 "5/3/2"

Resistance Workouts for the above Routine Cycle
Single Arm KB Press
Deadlift
Snatch
Double Front Squat
Farmer Carry

I'm debating ignoring the routine for Snatches and just "see what I can do in 5 minutes", trying to build up to 100 on the current bell size I'm at.

I recommend S&S by the book or almost by the book. On days you don't want to do it then go for alternate moves like deadlifts, pushups, chinups etc.

Agree with what's already been said, this is difficult strength. I'd programme something like this from easy strength ( I've done this 4x per week).

Tailoring your warm up:
Tgu
Squat (goblet or fsq)

Easy strength:
Deadlift (10 reps total alternating each session e.g 5+5, 5x2 etc and occasional 6x1 heavy singles).
1 arm c&p (123 ladders x 3)
Swing or snatches on alternate sessions s&S style.

You could do push ups and pull ups if you wish later/earlier in the day or GTG or on other days.

That looks more like Difficult Strength to me.
To elaborate, Easy Strength is basically three main lifts plus a couple of accessories. The main lifts are done for about 10 reps total. A hinging movement, a push and a pull. The accessories are an ab exercise like the ab wheel, and some form of loaded carry. For a warmup, some combo of swings, goblets, and/or TGU. The whole workout should only take about 20 min. Train 3-5 days a week.

I’m in the last month of a three month ES stint, where I will rack up 50 sessions. I train four days a week:

Deadlift
Dip
Pull up
Ab wheel
Farmer’s Walk

The rest of the week I’m doing MAF sessions on the bike or run, with one long 3+ hr session. It’s been fantastic, and I’m sneaking up on the best overall shape of my life.

A fine alternative is the DMPM.

The set/rep scheme looks a lot like the one posted in Dan's article "Even Easier Strength":

Even Easier Strength

I followed it two summers ago and it worked very well. Every session left me feeling better than when I started with the exception of six singles day. I opted for "the same but different" approach. For example, two weeks of dead lifts followed by two weeks of trap bar then snatch grip deads with a fat bar for two weeks. I elected to do a squatting movement, alternating two weeks of front squats with zercher squats. Since Dan has said that squats didn't seem to fit for whatever reason I opted to stay conservative on them, sticking to 2x5 for the most part.

If I recall correctly Dan has said that it's more of a pressing workout which was the case for me. My military press resulted in a PR. The other lifts improved, but not like the military. The warm-up usually took longer than the body of the workout.

Warmup
Rower

Double Front Squat 2 x 5
Double Row or Pullups 2 x 5
Press 2 x 5
Double Swings 1 x 20 or Kettlebell Deadlift, 1 x 20
TGU 5 each side.

For HIIT, just do 3-5 sets of 10 snatches at the end as a finisher with 1 minute rest between sets.

Don't complicate.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom