all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Effort Comparison: Simple vs SFG I

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I´ll post my experience as I think its interesting for the SFG / S&S Simple comparison.

I have been training S&S for the last 2 years and 3 months, and tested and achieved the Simple time standards 2 weeks ago. As I´m planning on an SFG cert in November, I decided to test the SFG tests .These were my results:

SFG Requirement/ test result:

Double front squat: 5 reps 2x24 kg / 7 reps 24 + 28 kg

Double clean: 5 reps 2x24 kg / 8 reps 24 + 28 kg.

Press: 5 reps with 24 each arm / 6 reps with 24 each arm.

TGU: 1 rep with 24 each arm / 1 rep with 40 each arm.

Swing: 10 reps with 24 / 15 reps with 32.

Snatch test: 100 reps in 5min with 24 kg/ 100 reps in 4:30 with 20 kg.

Note 1: I tested with uneven kettlebells because I dont have pairs. I tested 24 + 28 instead of double 24.
Note 2: I did the snatch test with the 20 kg because I dont feel confident doing it with the 24 kg at this point.

About my training: I have done exclusively S&S for the last 2 years and 3 months, but have replaced 1 S&S session per week for snatch practice. I did this to learn to snatch, to prepare for a future SFG and for variety. The sessions consisted in 20 sets of 5 with good rest, with either the 20 or the 24. I have also been doing 3x10 push ups 4 times per week.

I know that testing during the SFG might be more difficult due to the accumulated fatigue, stress of testing, etc. However, it appears that S&S has taken me to a good place to start the SFG prep.

About the recommendations above of doing ROP after S&S by @Pavel Macek and @jef: for my particular case, it appears I´m ok for the press requirement, so would it make sense to do such a press-specific program? Given that the snatch test is the one I´m further from the requirements, wouldnt I be better off doing a lot of snatches in an A+A fashion? Then switching to @Brett Jones prep guide closer to the cert.

@Anna C IIRC you did an SFG preparation based on snatches? what do you think?

Yes, congrats on Simple!

Good testing and good assessment.

@Anna C IIRC you did an SFG preparation based on snatches? what do you think?

I used A+A snatches to prepare for SFG II, which is almost all overhead work (push press, jerk, bent press, windmill, and double snatch). But snatches are so generally useful I would say if you have them in your toolbox, they are a good tool for preparing for just about anything.

100 with the 20kg is good, and the snatch training you're currently doing with 20 and 24kg sounds good. Keep building your volume with the 24kg.

Press: 5 reps with 24 each arm / 6 reps with 24 each arm.

I would say you'll need more press reserve than that. Don't stop working the press -- both weight and volume. You might not need a press-specific program, but keep it in your regular training.

With press, squat, and clean, you want to be able to do 5 sets of 5 without it smoking you for the day. Maybe not all 3 in one day, but at least two. So 24+24kg, 5x5 clean (with rest in between each set of 5), and 5x5 squat. Or as I practiced them (and as I recall, how we tested them at the cert) -- 5 clean + 5 squat, and do that 5 times in a session. Could do a similar combination of squat and press, or clean and press.

The program I did (How to Prepare for and Pass Your SFG Level I | StrongFirst) is another good option for a prep program in the 2 months prior to the cert -- or you could use some or all of it now, and the Brett Jones plan later.

Given you now have a solid foundation for prep, a good idea now is to have targets to hit every 2-3 months leading up to the cert.

All these suggestions are solid, I always recommend ROP when in doubt, or kettlebell workout snacks by Hector Gutierrez Jr. Specifically the 803 and atos series for prep along with some snatch work on separate days

Best of luck and touch base if you need anything

Congrats on attaining SIMPLE

@Oscar
congratulations on reaching Simple.
There are many ways to go from there to the SFG1.

Considering that you did 6 reps with the 24, I would go on a round or two of ROP. At my SFG, I had more than that coming to the cert, but still missed the press requirement (leaned back for the last two or three reps) because of the accumulated fatigue.
It is good to be comfortable with the requirement, which means being able to do multiple sets of 5 in the case of the press.

@Oscar
congratulations on reaching Simple.
There are many ways to go from there to the SFG1.

Considering that you did 6 reps with the 24, I would go on a round or two of ROP. At my SFG, I had more than that coming to the cert, but still missed the press requirement (leaned back for the last two or three reps) because of the accumulated fatigue.
It is good to be comfortable with the requirement, which means being able to do multiple sets of 5 in the case of the press.

One of the reasons why I highly encourage anyone prepping for the SFG to be comfortable doing 4-5 reps in the press a size up their test weight.. If you are comfortable with that load, your chance of doing well goes up

@Anna C @jef @Tobias Wissmueller @q.Hung @Mark Limbaga

Thanks all for your kind words about achieving simple and thorough recommendations. I'm at the moment debating if I truly "own" Simple or not, so in the next few weeks I might try the time standards a few times in a row.

I see what you mean about the press reserve. I'll need more than what I have now. Maybe one or two cycles of ROP would be good.

To be honest, I have doubts about the ROP because I dont like how the ballistics are programmed. I haven't ran the program so it's an uneducated opinion for sure. But they look to me like a peaking program, while I still have several months before needing to peak. But maybe the base is built by the volume of C&P, I dont know.

I see myself further from the snatch test than from the press test, that's why I was thinking on focusing on snatches. But I'm not so sure how a snatch program would look like anyway, maybe A+A with some pressing added to it? Building volume with 24 and 28?

@Oscar
Many people (myself included) see ROP as a pressing program, and do the ballistics on a different schedule. Nothing wrong with that. I am running ROP at the moment. You can see in my log that I do my own programming for swings.

What I would do and why:
- ROP, pressing part only. Clean and presses. Presses on light day.
Why? It builds volume and pressing strength. It also includes a lot of cleans. 24kg may work for the first round, or not. You see. You can also do a round with 20, then the next one with 24.
On non pressing days:
- Heavy swings. 32kg and above.
Why? It builds the engine for the snatch test.
- Light snatches. 20kg and 16kg. Technical work. Sometimes do a few long sets (15-20 reps).
Why? It ensures good technique and timing.
- Variety. Goblet squat, front squat, getup. To keep the groove.

Approximately two to three months before the cert, Brett Jones protocole.
Why?
It covers everything, and prepare very well to endure the weekend. Fool proof.
By that time, you should be able to start density snatch day with confidence, if you have been doing your heavy swings and light snatches.

Ultimately, it is your decision. Many approach may work. I happen to like the one above.

@Oscar
Many people (myself included) see ROP as a pressing program, and do the ballistics on a different schedule. Nothing wrong with that. I am running ROP at the moment. You can see in my log that I do my own programming for swings.

What I would do and why:
- ROP, pressing part only. Clean and presses. Presses on light day.
Why? It builds volume and pressing strength. It also includes a lot of cleans. 24kg may work for the first round, or not. You see. You can also do a round with 20, then the next one with 24.
On non pressing days:
- Heavy swings. 32kg and above.
Why? It builds the engine for the snatch test.
- Light snatches. 20kg and 16kg. Technical work. Sometimes do a few long sets (15-20 reps).
Why? It ensures good technique and timing.
- Variety. Goblet squat, front squat, getup. To keep the groove.

Approximately two to three months before the cert, Brett Jones protocole.
Why?
It covers everything, and prepare very well to endure the weekend. Fool proof.
By that time, you should be able to start density snatch day with confidence, if you have been doing your heavy swings and light snatches.

Ultimately, it is your decision. Many approach may work. I happen to like the one above.
+1 to this plan
@Oscar,
Don't over think SFG testing, honestly it's not that hard, plan the work and work the plan for the physical part, then get your mind strong/ready for the learning and testing, Brett Jones plan will give you the stamina needed to not only survive, but thrive, you have a nice solid base going, I believe you'll thrive there..

@jef thank you very much for that plan. Its sounds great. I´m starting it today. I´ll let you know how it goes.

@Anna C that makes sense and you have convinced me. After 2 years of only doing swings and get ups I´m still a bit emotionally attached to the program I think.

@Bret S. Thanks, I also think I´m well prepared and will do ok. But the snatch test is still a bit scary. The test I did with the 20 kg went very well and gave me some confidence, maybe in a while I can do an easy test with the 24 to see where I´m standing.

Thanks all for the support!

Jef gave you a solid plan..

Remember you want to build enough capacity to be able to pass all the requirements and have some buffer so you can also absorb the lessons and not spend time on recovering

Don't worry too much about "owning" the simple standard . You unlocked it, focus on other goals for now which you laid in front of you, you can always refine s and s after those goals

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom