all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Exercises you hate, yet keep on doing

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Really?

I love those!

What do you dislike about them?
Extremely uncomfortable, unable to achieve full range of motion, very little improvements seen in 12 months, I keep at it hoping to see further improvements. Generally my "strength" improvements involving kettlebells and bodyweight are all easily measured compared to improvements in wall slides and other mobility/flexibility issues - although windmills have become a lot easier in last 3 months, not sure why.

Extremely uncomfortable, unable to achieve full range of motion, very little improvements seen in 12 months, I keep at it hoping to see further improvements. Generally my "strength" improvements involving kettlebells and bodyweight are all easily measured compared to improvements in wall slides and other mobility/flexibility issues - although windmills have become a lot easier in last 3 months, not sure why.

Wall slides are unbelievably uncomfortable. I don’t know if it is because they are good or bad? The second most uncomfortable stretch is q/l straddle . For some reason they are both torture to me.

I am curious, which exercises are part of your regular rotation although you don't really like it?

For me it is mostly the KB clean. Being part of LCCJ and C&P, I actually do it a lot. And it seems to hit some patterns and muscle groups that are my weak links.

I am working on my technique but cleans never feel natural to me.

Well, TGUs and Goblet Squats used to be similarly awkward for me, but somehow I got the hang of it. So there is hope.

What's your favourite nemesis?
Hip thrusts. I DO hate them.

But, as a grappling practicioner, I kinda need them. Besides, any exercise that allows you to move a very significant load is always worth it.

One arm (dumbbell) rows. I don't like how they feel, and then I have to do it again for the other side.

I would say Bulgarian split squats but I don't really do them. The dislike is too high and it also takes so long to warm up properly. I don't really have to warm up for the rows so the suck is over relatively quickly.

One arm (dumbbell) rows. I don't like how they feel, and then I have to do it again for the other side.

I would say Bulgarian split squats but I don't really do them. The dislike is too high and it also takes so long to warm up properly. I don't really have to warm up for the rows so the suck is over relatively quickly.
What's the role of one arm row and Bulgarian split squat in your training?

What's the role of one arm row and Bulgarian split squat in your training?
Since I’m from the country that this type of squat is named after, I’ll tell you something. This squat was popularized in America in the late 1980s, when the assistant coach of the Bulgarian national weightlifting team, Angel Spasov, visited the USA and talked about the best training methods for Bulgarian weightlifters. The interest in the Bulgarian system is very high, because the Bulgarian weightlifters win dozens of medals at the world championships and the Olympic Games.
According to Angel Spasov’s explanations, the Bulgarian weightlifters have completely removed neck barbell squats from their training program, replacing them with bench press repetitions and split squats with the rear leg raised. Spasov published an article co-authored with Terry Todd titled “The Bulgarian Leg Training Secret” in which he also recommends this pattern over traditional squats.
Myth and reality
The late Ivan Abadjiev - the most decorated and legendary former head coach of the national barbell team of Bulgaria - subsequently denied the claims of his assistant. During a seminar in 2011, Abadjiev claimed that national weightlifters never used this technique in their training and never stopped squatting with neck weights.
The idea of introducing them was proposed only by Angel Spasov, but Abadjiev did not accept it, as he doubted how effectively they would affect the main goal of the team. Abadjiev’s program focuses on a small number of exercises that the coach believes are most important for honing Olympic sport-specific skills.
However, the assistant coach took the opportunity to promote his idea during the workshop in the USA. And apparently he succeeded, because the exercise has gained popularity and undeniably gives its benefits.

Loaded bulgarian split squats. Makes me feel weak as a child and trembling like senior citizen.

We hate eachother but still benefits from eachother.

Last edited:
Since I’m from the country that this type of squat is named after, I’ll tell you something. This squat was popularized in America in the late 1980s, when the assistant coach of the Bulgarian national weightlifting team, Angel Spasov, visited the USA and talked about the best training methods for Bulgarian weightlifters. The interest in the Bulgarian system is very high, because the Bulgarian weightlifters win dozens of medals at the world championships and the Olympic Games.
According to Angel Spasov’s explanations, the Bulgarian weightlifters have completely removed neck barbell squats from their training program, replacing them with bench press repetitions and split squats with the rear leg raised. Spasov published an article co-authored with Terry Todd titled “The Bulgarian Leg Training Secret” in which he also recommends this pattern over traditional squats.
Myth and reality
The late Ivan Abadjiev - the most decorated and legendary former head coach of the national barbell team of Bulgaria - subsequently denied the claims of his assistant. During a seminar in 2011, Abadjiev claimed that national weightlifters never used this technique in their training and never stopped squatting with neck weights.
The idea of introducing them was proposed only by Angel Spasov, but Abadjiev did not accept it, as he doubted how effectively they would affect the main goal of the team. Abadjiev’s program focuses on a small number of exercises that the coach believes are most important for honing Olympic sport-specific skills.
However, the assistant coach took the opportunity to promote his idea during the workshop in the USA. And apparently he succeeded, because the exercise has gained popularity and undeniably gives its benefits.

I'm not a fan of Abadjiev, but every documentary and interview of people who participated in his system that I've seen supports his position:

That Spasov was lying and that rear-foot elevated split squats were never part of the Bulgarian weightlifting program.

But it's a good exercise.

I'm not a fan of Abadjiev, but every documentary and interview of people who participated in his system that I've seen supports his position:

That Spasov was lying and that rear-foot elevated split squats were never part of the Bulgarian weightlifting program.

But it's a good exercise.
Yes, exercise obviously has its benefits.
Otherwise, even those who trained under Abadjiev were not his fans, despite their medals. It has been stated in many interviews that there has rarely been a competitor who has performed everything on the training system and scheduled workout at all times. Sometimes they trained 3 times a day, 6 days a week. But these were specially selected people who had no other job but to train, eat and rest, for which they received a salary. But it was during the time of communism that Olympic lifting was one of the most sponsored sports in the country. Not so now.

Yes, exercise obviously has its benefits.
Otherwise, even those who trained under Abadjiev were not his fans, despite their medals. It has been stated in many interviews that there has rarely been a competitor who has performed everything on the training system and scheduled workout at all times. Sometimes they trained 3 times a day, 6 days a week. But these were specially selected people who had no other job but to train, eat and rest, for which they received a salary. But it was during the time of communism that Olympic lifting was one of the most sponsored sports in the country. Not so now.

His lifters look depressed in the documentaries made in the 1970s.

The amount of drugs used was pretty crazy, and his "magician" (a doctor who would use a catheter to swap urine in athletes about to be tested) is even crazier.

Ab rollouts.

Hard to decide if I hate them more with the ab wheel or the barbell.

Kneeling or standing?

Do you find them harder or easier with the barbell? (I've only done them with an ab wheel.)

Why do them at all when there are plenty of other exercises you could do for your abs?

-S-

Did you ever watch the discussion with Max Aita about his experience living with and training with Abadjiev?

It feels like the world can be divided into those who:

Love!Hate!
Rowing Machine
Assault Bike
Step Machine

Personally, while I dislike the assault bike, it's the step machine / stairmaster I really hate.

I've never met anyone who either loved or hated all 3.
I don’t think I’ve ever used a stair master lol.

I severely hated doing the “Chad” wod, which is 1k 20” box step ups, so I’m sure I would also dislike the machine lol.

I have always called these wall angels, love them. They make my shoulders feel lubed up.

I’ve had pretty flexible shoulders though, when I was young and dumb I could wait out omoplatas but I’ve lost that super power with age.

I don’t think I’ve ever used a stair master lol.
I've never used any of those things. I've taken a few steps on the stair thing, tried a rowing machine briefly, and have no idea what the third one is, but have never done any training on any of them.

-S-

The second most uncomfortable stretch is q/l straddle . For some reason they are both torture to me.
I struggled with those forever until I realized that there are regressions that work without being evil. Sitting on a cusion while doing them really helped.

Any and all flexibility training. Did anyone see the Gold Medal Bodies post about how many people train flexibility? "Keep following the program until you're absolutely sure it doesn't work, then give up." Then I start again. I've injured myself more in mobility work than just about anything else, thinking I can reach just a bit farther since I've been doing the same junk for so long...SNAP on the shoulder or apparently hinging at the spine instead of the hip...not good times

Back
Top Bottom