all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Exercises you hate, yet keep on doing

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
But the same could be said about almost any grind, couldn't it?
It depends, I think. I can say for sure that my deadlifts did not carry over much to my squat or bench press. But my SQ and my BP feel like they helped my DL.

-S-

Last edited:
I think most grip people would tell you that grip training is kind of specific. I have found, e.g., that things shaped like a barbell but thicker do have some carryover for me so I will do deadlifts on an axle and pullups on a pair of Rolling Thunders, not grippers.
Same.
Grip has never been much of a limiting factor for me on deadlifts, but grippers have never done anything for my static grip on a barbell or axle.

Perhaps different with Oly and powerlifting - I find heavy deadlifts and heavy squats plenty most of the time. But my Oly weights are still very light.

-S-

In order to have a strong jerk your core has to have good integrity so doing the accessory work is key IMO. But not at the cost of your back and legs. Cause we use those for pulls and squats too :)

-Mira

Back squat.

And KB snatches.. I get it, they’re good for all sorts, I just don’t like them. There, I said it.

Kettlebell front squat. I really dislike them and I find them much harder than presses with the same weight. A double 16kg press is easy but double 16kg from squats are brutal. Is it just me?

What's the role of one arm row and Bulgarian split squat in your training?

I think the one arm (dumbbell) row is the best row there is. Easy to do, easy to load, easy to support, easy to get a good ROM. Definitely worth it. I try to do some kind of row, horizontal or vertical, every session or close to it. Though the time spent on it in a session is typically minimal, often just a single set.

The BSS is good for unilateral leg training, finding and possibly fixing or preventing some imbalances. I like to do such a block at least once a year. The BSS is typically too much of a pain to do, though. I rather use some machines, leg press, knee extension, hamstring curl.

Back
Top Bottom