all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Experiences with Shoulder Injuries

Not a medical advice - I am a coach, not a doc - but when I injured my shoulder couple of months ago (missed spinning back fist in a MMA sparring), the thing that helped me most was a combo of hanging drills and kettlebell bent arm bar.
Hang, Armbar, pretzels seems to be top stretches for shoulder mobility am I right? Would you add an other one to this list?

Physio diagnosed Impinged Shoulder approx 1 month ago and gave me various stretches. Am currently banned from overhead press on RHS, however physio tells me pushups & swings and biceps curls are fine, am going to ask about Cleans on next session. Seems to be getting slowly better, less painful, but gradually.
Looking on bright side have been doing some pressing with LH so that it will eventually "catch up" with dominant arm.

If you can do dips without pain I can recommend Geoff Neupert program "Easy muscle ". The schedule C consist in Swing / chin ups/ dips and, for me, is a perfect program to do when you need to avoid overhead work ( as I'm currently doing)

If you can do dips without pain I can recommend Geoff Neupert program "Easy muscle ". The schedule C consist in Swing / chin ups/ dips and, for me, is a perfect program to do when you need to avoid overhead work ( as I'm currently doing)
Haven’t done any of Geoff’s programs but they look brilliant. Fabio’s as well.

To the contrary general belief or perception (which I had as well) Hypertrophy programs with fewer selection of exercises are superior to more comprehensive ones for a very large portion of the population. And it is not always easy to admit such things, but I am a part of that population. And I think anybody who is not taking Bodybuilding as a career should try a minimalist BB program before they draw a conclusion about a program.

You are not selecting a sub optimal program when u select a hypertrophy program w few exercises.

You are selecting a superior program for your needs and level of existing lean mass.

There is so much room to grow with a few compound exercises that, it is almost impossible to beat the ROI of fewer compound moves anabolic effects.

With a strongfirst dice driven minimalist hypertrophy program and a few tips from SF news letter, give me the best and quickest results.

My body and I try to maximize hypertrophy for a push, a pull and a squat…. Dialing in the technique, ability to lift a very little volume w same moves during your off days, none of us has perfect recovery, my body tries to recover only for most bang for your buck muscles, , famous mind muscle connection which is doable w this few exercises etc etc

Last edited:
Physio diagnosed Impinged Shoulder approx 1 month ago and gave me various stretches. Am currently banned from overhead press on RHS, however physio tells me pushups & swings and biceps curls are fine, am going to ask about Cleans on next session. Seems to be getting slowly better, less painful, but gradually.
Looking on bright side have been doing some pressing with LH so that it will eventually "catch up" with dominant arm.
I observed the same for me to. Stopped vertical pressing in all training. However, I am able to do TGU without any pain. I can hold weight on top without pain and the pain is main while I pass through the sticking point. So incorporated pushups, TGUs, swings a lot. Also did snatches a few times, but decided to cut out snatches.

I was not pressing with my right (left shoulder is impinged) as I was worried about asymmetries :) my right is my stronger side. so dont want to give it an even more lead ;)

I have incorporated a lot of hanging, and other shoulder focused exercises (focusing on internal and external rotation). Arm bars are fine but bent arm bars are painful. So I avoid doing them for now. I do feel the pain in external rotation a lot more than internal rotation. So arm bars yes but not much of bent arm bars. Its getting better, so I gotta continue doing this and not load the joint while it heals.

All this time I thought my injury was because of over use of the pressing motion under heavy load. However I realised that I changed my racking technique slightly to avoid wrist pain. Earlier I was catching the bells a bit closer to the midline, which was hurting my wrist as the loads went up (on the left side). I started changing that while I was using double 32s. I started racking the bell with my forearm a bit more vertical. This definitely puts more load on the shoulder for external rotation. Which is where my pain was. The overall pain is reducing but when I started racking the bells I could feel the pain in this position.

Note to myself: if changing technique do that with lighter bells and then build up weight. Duh !!!

Some shoulder tears will not heal... Ever. Such was my situation. Surgery was the only viable option.

My left shoulder tear has never healed, but I elected not to have surgery.

Instead, I spent several years working up all the supporting structures and movement patterns to where it has became a non-issue most of the time.

As long as I remain externally rotated and have good thoracic extension and fully functional scapular patterns, I can OHP, OHSQ, snatch, clean, jerk, push ups, ring push ups, dips, etc.

Barbell bench, on the other hand, quickly turns pathological.

Indeed!
My other shoulder (also left by the way) also has a small tear. On this one I too opted not to have surgery, doing exactly what you have done. And, like you, have been successful in my efforts where it has become a non-issue most of the time.

I had a rotator cuff surgery for my left shoulder, and then had the same problem with my right shoulder, and was getting ready to see an ortho. I was getting an adjustment from my chiro and told him my plans, and he asked if he could look at it. After two weeks of treatment, I was in good shape.
The key here seems to be finding a chiro that is trained in ART- Active Release Technique.
I can’t promise anything, but I was up and running in two weeks!
YMMV

Sharing a quick update regarding my progress rehabbing and getting my shoulder strength back. Today I was able to strict press 24kg for 5 clean reps with no pain and a good pressing groove. This is great progress. From being unable to press a 16kg I’m back to 24kg. I plan to continue to do all the accessory work that I’ve been doing as a part of my rehab. I’ve found some great help from many places and sort of have a blended program that seems to be working for me. I’m push pressing 32kg with no pain which is also a big deal for me. I want to press 44 this year and it was timely that I went through this process as it uncovered issues that I have to work as I progress weights.

There is a guy in Australia named Andrew Lock, or Locke. Look him up and Contact him...he is simply awesome for shoulders. He will help

This is unfortunately so true. Every now and then, there is an issue in my left shoulder. It gives all sorts of different signals coming from nowhere and for no reason.

I can tell when and how I gave myself an injury so I learn from mistakes except shoulders.

Every part of my body, I can tell why its nagging, what I have done different that my body did not like it, almost to the moment of injury itself except shoulders.

My left shoulder is like throwing a die every morning, to decide its status.
Since this post of mine received a few likes, I would like to throw in my recent experience/learning on this matter.

For me the case of my shoulder pains that come from time to time might be totally due to my form issues. Rather than being random happenings.

Recently I have posted my TGU video to the form to receive feedback. After the feedbacks, I have revisited TGU videos from SF KB fundamental’s and @Hector G TGU videos from his Swing Strong! Course.

I have recognized during roll to elbow, and elbow to tall sit, I was not keeping my shoulders properly packed (there are other feedbacks to my TgUs such as not engaging the lats, I will work on it separately as well)

So in my case, maybe my poor shoulders are not problematic on the opposite side they are healthy but I am torturing them with bad form….

Ps:Strong as Hec course videos, are extremely detailed. So much that honestly after watching for the first time a few of his videos I found them on the longer side and did not utilize that much, but now I understand his videos are extremely valuable .

Last edited:
Bro science 100% - get graston and or ultrasound on it while it's healing to clean up the injury site. That will help keep the pain down. Manual therapies and isometrics will accelerate healing time and the last bit here is very important, makes all the difference in the world for creating balance in the muscles, imbalances cause the impingements - get some crossover symmetry or 4kor bands and run the protocols. Personally I got the 4kor because crossover symmetry protocol is easy to memorize and find online and the 4kor has 3 bands. Promise you you'll bulletproof your shoulders, my background is deep tissue and instrument assisted bodywork and have healed my own shoulder injuries with the above methods in conjunction with kbs and functional fitness.

Last edited:
Update:
The strength is back ... almost.
28kg for 5 reps without pain (this was 9-10 reps prior to injury)
32kg for 1 rep .... mild mild pain >>> this is a big big win for me. I just couldn't move the 32kg bell out of the sticking point with intense pain. This is the biggest sign that things are heading in the right direction.

There are so many things I learnt from this injury, not just about the shoulder anatomy but also all the rehab exercises and strengthening exercises. I plan to write a post on my sub soon.

I will continue to do all the accessory movements that I've picked up along the way, a few with stretch bands, a few with therabands, a few with light kettlebells. Also all the stretching of the musculature that can limit the shoulder movement.

Not a medical advice - I am a coach, not a doc - but when I injured my shoulder couple of months ago (missed spinning back fist in a MMA sparring), the thing that helped me most was a combo of hanging drills and kettlebell bent arm bar.
I am doing something similar. Skin The Cat on the rings every day - my hanging drill, plus regular bar hands - and pressing from the elbow and hand positions of a getup.

-S-

One of other note I'll add:

DB bench doesn't cause my shoulder any issues.

And it's easier for me to use my chest more, anyway, because I can lower the weight past my sternum.

The main downside is that I can't load my dumbbells with more than 30 kg per side (unless I do 1 arm DB bench, where I can fit 45 kg on 1 DB), so I have to do higher volume / more reps to get a stimulus.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing for prehab and wellness reasons, given I already go heavy overhead.

Bro science 100% - get graston and or ultrasound on it while it's healing to clean up the injury site. That will help keep the pain down. Manual therapies and isometrics will accelerate healing time and the last bit here is very important, makes all the difference in the world for creating balance in the muscles, imbalances cause the impingements - get some crossover symmetry or 4kor bands and run the protocols. Personally I got the 4kor because crossover symmetry protocol is easy to memorize and find online and the 4kor has 3 bands. Promise you you'll bulletproof your shoulders, my background is deep tissue and instrument assisted bodywork and have healed my own shoulder injuries with the above methods in conjunction with kbs and functional fitness.

+1 to Crossover Symmetry or similar.

I've been doing this for 6 months or so and have now upgraded the band resistance to the point we're I'm beyond what they sell, but still getting great results.

Completed an 8-week isometric training block, including overhead press. I aimed for at least 70% of 1 rep max force per 6-second hold, for 6 reps. At the beginning of the training block, any dynamic overheard press felt like a 5 out of 10 in pain, with 10 being the worst pain ever.

I also did some Geoff Neupert and GMB inspired mobility work, and swings with a 4lb RMT club, eventually progressing to circles with the club.

My shoulder went from about 80% back to over 90%. Feeling good enough to do partial range KB presses over head. I did some test presses with my 16kg KB at the start of Week 7 and was able to press about 3/4 of the way without pain. By the end of Week 8, I feel I can press much closer to lockout.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom