all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Extra stretching exercises?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Smile-n-Nod

Level 5 Valued Member
Do the stretches in Simple & Sinister (if memory servers: squats, halos, hip bridges, 90-90, and QL stretch) provide a decent full-body stretch? If not, what additional stretches can I do? It would be great to have a most-bang-for-the-buck stretching routine to complement the most-bang-for-the-buck kettlebell workout in S&S. Thanks.

They target large parts of the body and work very well to release the tension from the exercises. Thus they are sufficient for your general needs. However, if you have more specific goals such as splits or specific issues you need to modify your selection accordingly.

Hello,

@Smile-n-Nod
Do the stretches in Simple & Sinister (if memory servers: squats, halos, hip bridges, 90-90, and QL stretch) provide a decent full-body stretch? If not, what additional stretches can I do? It would be great to have a most-bang-for-the-buck stretching routine to complement the most-bang-for-the-buck kettlebell workout in S&S. Thanks.
As always, it depends on your goals.

To a certain extent, they are more than enough because they cover all the basic moves of the human body and are conceived to be "minimalistic and functional".

However, you can add some mobility/ flexibility (Relax into Stretch, Flexible Steel) if you aim for some gymnastic moves or if you are into certain sport such as MA with high kicks and so on.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'd add Brettzels and full bridges... rotation & extension, respectively.

I do a series of stretches before and after each S&S workout. I've found it helps with recovery, mobility, and also serves to warm me up/prepare for work.

Disclaimer: I have a ballet background (childhood) and the norm is to stretch beforehand, so my body is basically conditioned to operate at way. Plenty of people say it's dangerous to stretch a cold body, so I can't necessarily recommend it for you.

My routine:
---Overhead shoulder stretch: stand in a doorway, reach both arms to the top of the doorjam. Push your chest out and lean forward/up so your hands are now behind your head.
---figure eight shoulder stretch: reach one hand behind your head and down your back. Put your other hand behind your waist, then reach it up to grab your first hand.
---I'm sure theres a name for this: Stand eet shoulder width apart, grab your hands behind your back/waist. Fold your torso forward, allowing the weight of your arms to provide a shoulder stretch.
---Pec stretch: Go back to the doorway, and grab each side with one hand. Press your chest forward.
----Side bend.
---feet shoulder width apart, straight back fold forward.
---Feet together, bend knees, fold all the way forward. Keep torso in place, slowly try to straighten your knees.
---Kneel down, and us your hands to pull your back foot up to your butt. Shift your hips backwards and feel it in your quad.
---From that position, press your hips forward, roll your shoulders back (chest out), and stretch your hip flexor.
---From there move into a half pigeon (one leg straight back, one leg "Indian style" in front of you). Hold the top position and then fold all the way forward.
---Front split.
---Feet wide apart, side splits and fold forward with a straight back.
---Some sort of torso twist.

Jon Engum's Flexible Steel is very good for extra mobility and stretch. He also offers a four week progressive plan.

I have found original 90/90 and QL to be difficult for me, due to my injuries and other restrictions. I do Windmill stick and Stoney Stretch instead. And some Banded lateral walks and Banded Olympic Wall Squat.

I always do the pump stretch (see Enter the Kettlebell) instead of the hip bridge.

Hello,

Nothing specific, just try to delay my decomposition as long as I can.
In that case, plus if you are short of time, S&S by the book will get the job done ;) You can add some back bridges and split (frontal and lateral) if you want to, plus a little crawling. It still will be short, and a bit more "complete".

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom