all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Farmer's Walk Implements: Handle Diameter

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
I took a look at two Farmer's Walk implements. Titan's is 32 mm, Rogues is 1" Sched 40 pipe, which turns out to have about the same outside diameter - online tells me 1" Schedule 40 OD is 1.315 inches, which is 33.4 mm. Both of those are the same as my Texas Squat Bar, 32 mm.

Is this an accepted standard, e.g., in WSM is this what they use?

Just curious, not thinking of buying any real soon but perhaps once the weather gets nice here. Carrying a kettlebell for distance is definitely different because the thing bumps into your hip/leg.

Thanks.

-S-

To my knowledge, there are so many different implements they have used through the years that I don't know if there's any set diameter. I do know Rogue makes the farmer's walk implements for WSM. 32 mm seems like a good educated guess.

The ones I've used in competition and practice have handles either taped to the same size as a standard PL barbell, or a bit skinnier. WSM does do thicker handles, but more as a function of the size of the weight and the competitors. I wouldn't start with one of those as it would put too much of a limit on grip and you would miss out on the magic of heavy farmer walks.

But like Wes said, it is a sport of odd object lifting. Standards aren't really a thing yet. Although with the growing popularity of the sport and more of the big competitions being sponsored by equipment manufacturers it is trending more to standard implements. At the very least it is trending towards standard lifts. As of now, the farmer implements used in almost every WSM (AFAIK) are unique to the competition. They do play around with a balance of handle thickness to reward stronger grip and more athletic competitors and weight to reward the brute strength competitors. Since its introduction the WSM implement has gone from a thick handled 80kg each to the last time being a thinner handled 160kg each.

The ones I've used in competition and practice have handles either taped to the same size as a standard PL barbell, or a bit skinnier. WSM does do thicker handles, but more as a function of the size of the weight and the competitors. I wouldn't start with one of those as it would put too much of a limit on grip and you would miss out on the magic of heavy farmer walks.

But like Wes said, it is a sport of odd object lifting. Standards aren't really a thing yet. Although with the growing popularity of the sport and more of the big competitions being sponsored by equipment manufacturers it is trending more to standard implements. At the very least it is trending towards standard lifts. As of now, the farmer implements used in almost every WSM (AFAIK) are unique to the competition. They do play around with a balance of handle thickness to reward stronger grip and more athletic competitors and weight to reward the brute strength competitors. Since its introduction the WSM implement has gone from a thick handled 80kg each to the last time being a thinner handled 160kg each.
If you have a light plate, take it to Home Depot or Lowes and head to the plumbing section. You can make your own in about five minutes for a few bucks.

In the picture the model is using only 35 lb plates. I wonder if that’s an issue, I.e., if you’d bump into your legs with 45’s.

-S-
I have the same model (but cheaper option). No problem whatsoever.
It is hard to turn ar corners with that model, but it ain't supposed to be easy ;)

Edit: i hate things that has moving parts, you can remove the handles from them...? Why? Another piece that can break?

I load it up with 45 lb plates all the time, no issues. The handle is adjustable so you can have a lower pick up height, if you like. Nothing on these things are breaking, they are very solid.

It is also vastly easier to change weights with the top loaders. There are no collars to mess with, and the weight plates don't sit on the ground like they do in the side load version, so you don't have to lift up the bar and pull the weights off awkwardly.

I used to train middle school and high school kids with my side load handles and it was a pain to change weights between lifters. That's why I bought the top loaders and I have no regrets.

WSM does do thicker handles, but more as a function of the size of the weight and the competitors. I wouldn't start with one of those as it would put too much of a limit on grip and you would miss out on the magic of heavy farmer walks.
Grip isn’t usually my limiting factor. What’s “heavy” in comparison to one’s deadlift?

-S-

Bodyweight in each hand is about right. I don't remember what weights I started using, but I think 75 lb each hand. I weighed around 135 at the time. I'd start somewhat light, just to get a feel for it, then move up accordingly. But bodyweight in each hand is my goal.

Bodyweight for distance is a Dan John standard i believe
I heard @DanJohn say he had a test for his athletes to walk 100 meters. But I don’t know if it was bodyweight total on a trap bar or farmer walk implements in each hand.

I think I heard bodyweight in each hand is a good goal for Strongman Novice division when I was interested in looking to compete in Strongman. Maybe I will feel like I’m strong enough to enter a contest this year.

I heard @DanJohn say he had a test for his athletes to walk 100 meters. But I don’t know if it was bodyweight total on a trap bar or farmer walk implements in each hand.

I think I heard bodyweight in each hand is a good goal for Strongman Novice division when I was interested in looking to compete in Strongman. Maybe I will feel like I’m strong enough to enter a contest this year.
Do it! Loads of fun, good atmosphere at those comps.
100 meters is no walk in the park (unless we are talking abou a very small park) with any weight.

Do it! Loads of fun, good atmosphere at those comps.
100 meters is no walk in the park (unless we are talking abou a very small park) with any weight.
He had a discussion that said he would test athletes with basically farmer walk for 100m and standing long jump before doing easy strength. And he said if those two got better then he knew the program worked really well. But I doubt that would be bodyweight in each hand for 100m.

I’ve really wanted to do a strongman competition for a couple years. I’ve been patiently trying to make strength gains hoping I can get strong enough to enter without destroying my body doing it. I made a goal to enter one before the end of this year!IMG_0343.png

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies.

If you're thinking about buying farmer's bars you should really consider getting the top loading version. They are vastly superior. They are more expensive but they are worth it. They're on sale right now at Titan for $187.

It is also vastly easier to change weights with the top loaders. There are no collars to mess with, and the weight plates don't sit on the ground like they do in the side load version, so you don't have to lift up the bar and pull the weights off awkwardly.

I used to train middle school and high school kids with my side load handles and it was a pain to change weights between lifters. That's why I bought the top loaders and I have no regrets.

I'm leaning towards the Rogue - using what they use in WSM appeals to me.

I'm happy to deal with the loading/unloading. What I do for barbells here is put on one or two big wheels - 45 lb, 20 kg or 25 kg - and then just add smaller plates to change the load - for most things, that accommodates the range of weights for my training and that of my students pretty nicely.

1/2 bw in each hand - that's like a 32 or 36 kg bell in each hand. I think I'll try 32's see how I do. Weighed 70.5 kg this morning. You know, I've always avoided owning the yellow plates, the 15 kg, but they'd be handy here. I'm going to give this a try this morning and will report back.

-S-

Back
Top Bottom