all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Farmer's Walk Implements: Handle Diameter

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm leaning towards the Rogue - using what they use in WSM appeals to me.

I'm happy to deal with the loading/unloading. What I do for barbells here is put on one or two big wheels - 45 lb, 20 kg or 25 kg - and then just add smaller plates to change the load - for most things, that accommodates the range of weights for my training and that of my students pretty nicely.

1/2 bw in each hand - that's like a 32 or 36 kg bell in each hand. I think I'll try 32's see how I do. Weighed 70.5 kg this morning. You know, I've always avoided owning the yellow plates, the 15 kg, but they'd be handy here. I'm going to give this a try this morning and will report back.

-S-

These are the ones I have. They are made very well and I'm pretty sure you get free shipping too. They were only $100.

1/2 bw in each hand - that's like a 32 or 36 kg bell in each hand. I think I'll try 32's see how I do. Weighed 70.5 kg this morning. You know, I've always avoided owning the yellow plates, the 15 kg, but they'd be handy here. I'm going to give this a try this morning and will report back.

Mission accomplished.

I used my Polar H10 and my phone, selected "Jogging" as the workout type so that the GPS function would kick in, and measured out 0.06 miles, which is 97 meters. Measured it by walking to the start, confirmed by walking back. Put the bells in the car, drove them to the start, drove the car back home, walked back to the start, picked up the bells and off I went. Had a little bit of burn in my forearms by the end but definitely could have gone further, although I doubt if another 97 meters. No chalk for me, never is; no gloves or whatever else.

The circumference of my StrongFirst 32 kg kettlebells measured 123 mm, which converts to 39.15 mm diameter, which converts to 1.54 inches, so thicker than a regular barbell and even thicker than 32 mm diameter Farmers Walk implements, but not nearly as thick as, e.g., a Rolling Thunder handle.

I didn't find the size and shape of the bells a distraction, which begs the question of whether or not I need loadable farmers walk implements at all, and further whether I need to train this at all. Today's effort makes me confident I could manage a bit more weight on thinner handles since the grip was the only thing that was tired at the end. It was certainly a pleasantly different thing in my training, and I walked by the same pair of neighbor chatting outside multiple times who seemed amused but were nonetheless encouraging me on.

Love to hear speculation/experiences on whether, if I had thinner kb handles, the kb and the farmers walk implements would be considered equivalent weights/efforts. The whole thing is a nice example of the "what-the-heck" effect we talk about around here.

-S-

Love to hear speculation/experiences on whether, if I had thinner kb handles, the kb and the farmers walk implements would be considered equivalent weights/efforts. The whole thing is a nice example of the "what-the-heck" effect we talk about around here.
I imagine if you didn't want farmer handles then you could probably just carry kettlebells. I think up to a certain point, kb's "feel" heavier. A couple days ago I brought my 28kg to work. I park furthest away from the building which is probably about 100m maybe a little more. So I carried it in switching hands when I wanted to and got it to my office without setting it down. Occasionally, I do the same with the 32 as well. Really wakes me up. I need to bring in my 40kg soon but I might just park close to the building for that one who knows. I've found that just carrying them like this has had big returns on my grip. Just every once in a while take them some where and bring them back. With that said, I do like other carries as well. Sandbag, farmer handles, husafell, atlas stones or random stones in my yard. I think it was Dan John who said carrying stuff really seems to keep people young.

The real benefits, to me, of the implements are the variable loads and how heavy you can load them. That's one of the downsides to fixed weights; I think the benefits of farmer's walks really show through when you struggle with them, at least somewhat, and if there's little struggle, there's probably little benefit to them. Having said that, there's benefit to taking manageable weights for longer walks, just like there are for taking heavier weights for shorter walks. I love taking my sandbags for zercher or bear hug walks, but I also love loading a trap bar up heavy and carrying that for (much) shorter walks. All of it is good.

I think the benefits of farmer's walks really show through when you struggle with them, at least somewhat, and if there's little struggle, there's probably little benefit to them.

I disagree. There's plenty of benefit to easy runs, walks, hikes, bike rides, swims, etc., and to easy powerlifting sessions with 70% 1RM weights. Save the struggle for the competition.

-S-

Having said that, there's benefit to taking manageable weights for longer walks, just like there are for taking heavier weights for shorter walks. I love taking my sandbags for zercher or bear hug walks, but I also love loading a trap bar up heavy and carrying that for (much) shorter walks. All of it is good.
I also said this.

@Steve Freides , when relating to bodyweight I'd go bodyweight in each hand. Hard to do that with kettlebells.

I wouldn't worry too much about the grip. The handles or kettlebells don't revolve. In any case, I wouldn't treat it as grip training. No sense in grip limiting the other developments.

Back
Top Bottom