all posts post new thread

Nutrition Fasting

Don't worry, he just likes feeling superior to everyone. Problem is tho I don't even know if he has time to lift or not with as much research that he does. ROFL
I learned a lot from his posts and a few times he was generous and kind enough to answer my direct message questions with the same diligence.

I believe in this forum we all need to show him respect. He sometimes smacks people here and there (that I know for a fact cause I have tasted his bitter side as well) but I see him as a knowledgable experienced person who has all the good intentions and sometimes chooses his own direct way of old school communication. That is all fine by me honestly. That is why, when I reply back, even after getting a bit of “extra attention” from him, I keep my respect and pull back. I think he deserves that. I have no means to be disrespectful to him.

I fast religiously, as in as part of my religion we fast. I do not see it assist with weight/body comp control in others or myself.

I have previously used intermittent fasting of multiple variations - 1 day no eating, 24hr fast, 16/8, 20/4, etc. I found I did lose weight doing it, if I didn't overeat in the fasting window. I also found over time I started developing "binge/purge ideations." I would "punish" myself if I ate "too soon" or even if I ate too much by a longer fast next time ... This eventually became a vicious cycle, I didn't like the relationship I was developing with food or myself, so I largely left fasting (except for the religious requirements). I've later found that my experience is not unique and a lot of people struggle with that when they engage in "fitness fasting" (what I'm calling fasting for fitness related purposes vs. religious fasting), and that engaging in fitness fasting actually increases the risk of developing binge eating and bulimia.

I want to be clear - fasting does not mean you WILL develop an eating disorder or develop an unhealthy mindset or approach towards food. SOME people fast very successfully for their goals and never come close to having an unhealthy relationship with food. I mention it so that someone new to fasting can be aware of this and if they start seeing those tendencies develop they can stop and find a different way to accomplish their weight/body comp goals.
I fast for Yom Kippur. I don't think I could fast for fitness.

I ready Descipline Equals Freedom by Jocko Willink. He says that if there is no healthy food to eat, then don't eat. That not eating will highten your sences like a hungry animal. This whole thread is making me hungry. Time for a bagel break.

I learned a lot from his posts and a few times he was generous and kind enough to answer my direct message questions with the same diligence.

I believe in this forum we all need to show him respect. He sometimes smacks people here and there (that I know for a fact cause I have tasted his bitter side as well) but I see him as a knowledgable experienced person who has all the good intentions and sometimes chooses his own direct way of old school communication. That is all fine by me honestly. That is why, when I reply back, even after getting a bit of “extra attention” from him, I keep my respect and pull back. I think he deserves that. I have no means to be disrespectful to him.
Being helpful is one thing, but just acting like a condescending know-it-all in every single post you make is another. But apparently he's well liked here so carry on. lol

Reactions: Ege
I recently made a strange discovery about fasting. I've always found fasting the most arduous, grueling test of willpower imaginable. Anything after 20 hours was a constant war of attrition as my hunger waited to see when I would be mentally weak enough to give in.

This past week I've been fasting 24-48 hours at a time and it has been almost effortless. My shocking discovery: when I don't work out, i don't get hungry.

I've always worked out on a fast because I'd always read it was the smart thing to do if you wanted to take every precaution to prevent muscle loss. I keep it medium volume and heavy, but easy so I don't create a huge recovery debt. Turns out I was also creating a huge appetite.

I recently made a strange discovery about fasting. I've always found fasting the most arduous, grueling test of willpower imaginable. Anything after 20 hours was a constant war of attrition as my hunger waited to see when I would be mentally weak enough to give in.

This past week I've been fasting 24-48 hours at a time and it has been almost effortless. My shocking discovery: when I don't work out, i don't get hungry.

I've always worked out on a fast because I'd always read it was the smart thing to do if you wanted to take every precaution to prevent muscle loss. I keep it medium volume and heavy, but easy so I don't create a huge recovery debt. Turns out I was also creating a huge appetite.
I always did S&S during my extended fasts and it never made me hungry. I think something like S&S, Q&D, Easy Strength, or PTTP would be easier on recovery than let's say The Giant , ROP, or randomly testing maxes on squats and deadlifts.

I always did S&S during my extended fasts and it never made me hungry. I think something like S&S, Q&D, Easy Strength, or PTTP would be easier on recovery than let's say The Giant , ROP, or randomly testing maxes on squats and deadlifts.
Same.
I've always trained during longer fasts. Hunger consistently drops off after 24 hrs. so business as usual except I probably wouldn't program something like 400m repeats. Maybe I would just for the helluva it.

Same.
I've always trained during longer fasts. Hunger consistently drops off after 24 hrs. so business as usual except I probably wouldn't program something like 400m repeats. Maybe I would just for the helluva it.

I made this incredibly obvious discovery (working hard makes you hungry) after I bought Easy Strength for Fat Loss and decided to implement it, resulting in an appetite that does not rage out of control. I might switch to S&S later, idk.

I made this incredibly obvious discovery (working hard makes you hungry) after I bought Easy Strength for Fat Loss and decided to implement it, resulting in an appetite that does not rage out of control. I might switch to S&S later, idk.
I'd been doing IF for 6-7+ years prior to the longer fasts, made then easy/easier. Currently 40 hrs. into an Eat-Stop-Eat. This am was unweighted step ups, 16" box, 20 steps a minute, 6-4-6-4-6-4 minute sets, around :90 sec. rest btwn. sets. With something like this the fast is unnoticeable.

I often do a 24-hour fast (Friday evening to Saturday evening). I also schedule my weekday meals with a fairly heavy protein rich breakfast and a light dinner in the evening after training. It's helped me drop some weight and maintain my current weight without worrying much about calorie counting/macro analysis etc. I also try to spend more time on the C2 rower for long steady state rows during my 24 hour fast with the hopes of losing a little body fat...in the right light, I can detect a four-pack!

I guess the whole "relationship with food" topic is key here.

Personally, I have never liked eating breakfast. It always felt like a chore. The repeated "this is the most important meal of the day" did not help either. Intermittent Fasting gave me the ooportunity to just skip it and feel good about it. So for me, it was liberating and improved my relationship with food.

Fasting has helped me not to stress when no food (or no quality food) is available. The habit from IF has led to much less snacking, even between meals. Which seems to be really good for my gut and my teeth (give them a break!).

When I want to gain weight, I have to remind myyself of eating more, and including a breakfast. Otherwise I prefer to train fasted before lunch or a late breakfst.

I have never been able to get past 4 days of fasting, feeling somewhat terrible (sluggish, cold, kind of sick) before stopping. But usually I felt unbelievably good afterwards, like a health reboot. I haven't done it in a while as it is pretty difficult when you are the one usually cooking dinner for the family...

Back
Top Bottom