all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Favorite morning recharge and favorite evening mobility routines?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Georgiaoutdoors

Level 5 Valued Member
I'm curious about people's favorite morning recharge and evening mobility routines/movements? These are separate from any main training sessions. In my mind both have some of the following goals:

• maintain mobility and flexibility
  • preventative/prehab and corrective for lifestyle issues (i.e. my profession requires I sit a lot, so I include movements and stretches to counter that)
Additionally morning recharge has the purposes of:

• Energize for the day (put gas in the tank) to start it off well
  • Possibly also prevent major imbalances in the body due to training styles
And the evening mobility routine has the additional purpose of:
  • winding down for the day more effectively than just sitting on the couch
Are there other reasons for these two types of routines?

And what are your favorite moments/routines for each?

Morning recharge: 9 Minute Challenge

Evening routine: parasympathetic breathing because if I'm not recovering from my workouts there's no point.

Morning: The GFE from Ground Force Method

Evening: P3 Protocol, Couch Stretch and Bretzels

(Although you probably could do either for Morning/Evening

Some combination of:

- 90/90 stretch
- malasana (bottom of goblet squat hold)
- downdog
- Cossack squats
- single leg rdl
- couch stretch
- banded shoulder dislocates
- bird dog/tiger stretch

All unweighted. Everything feels better after.

I think it depends on goals and approach to training.

For me
AM is a get ready for the day and involves firstly still mind meditation for a few minutes (mental relaxation into calm) followed by some exercises around postural alignment and (secondarily) engaging metabolism. Sometimes, I will add in areas I think are not getting enough during general training during the day.
PM may be completed at end of main training session and so tends to be range of motion often as flexibility. It involves postural alignment on the basis that muscles have been tightened by the main training session and need to be reset\released to restore postural alignment.
Typically, still mind meditation has been completed prior to the main training session in late afternoon so that does not need to be redone.

My main goals are health and longevity and this is reflected in these sessions.

Morning routine: Coffee (black).

Evening routine: S&S stretches (9090, Straddle QL). Lacrosse ball "pin and pull" treatment of upper back, pecs, and glutes. Some OS resets: Rolling, neck nods (cobra position on elbows), breathing. Stretching my pecs, biceps etc. while rolling around or with arm bars.

Whenever I feel the need for movement prep, I like to use OS resets (sometimes modified for my purpose). If I need to wind down (after work for example), I focus on breath work, rolling and rocking. If I need to be more alert, I tend to use marching, rocking, crawling (and its regressions), and skipping.

Morning:
1) Couple of black coffee cups. No sugar
2) 10-15 min mobility: will move whatever feels necessary, there’s always GSQ, Cossack squats, SLDL, shoulder dislocates, egyptians, cat cow, bird dog, some OS resets, and so on
3) 2-3 min very cold shower (this always feels like a bad idea going into it and is probably the best of the three)
Evening:
Reading, working on adding a little bit of Flexible Steel

Morning; P3 protocol, modified for my yoga purposes, usually spaced over a day, sometimes over a course of many days.

Evening: modifications of Happy Baby Pose, Upward Facing Dog and Straddle Sit with diaphragmatic breathing and neck nods... Finished with Siddhasana and meditation

Stu McGill + Foundation Training + Strength University + P3 + Human Garage + SF Mobility + Flexible Steel Standing + Catalyst Athletics + Zack Telander + Leopard + Supple Leopard + Brettzel + Steve Cotter + OS + The Genius of Flexibility + AthleanX + Kabuki Strength + Attia-Schwartzman + Hangs + other stuff. Usually bits and pieces, sometimes 1 or 2 or 3 in complete form.

Last edited:
Don’t do much in the morning other than a few stretches after my training session. Some mornings I get in the sauna which really seems to help with everything mobility based for me. In the evening I used to do lots of yoga but have replaced that with the P3 protocol.

Morning:

Coffee with collagen, milk, and cod liver oil.

Couple of rounds of sun salutation, 50 air squats, a quick 1000m row, and then clean and snatch position drills with the war bar.

Evening:

15-20 minutes of hip, shoulder, and thoracic spine mobility work. Specific stretches vary according to what needs work. All done nude or semi-nude in front of the Joov light.

Maybe I'm too young to think I need to have a morning joint/ROM routine
M: black coffee and a good book

E: a few stretches (bretzel, 90/90, QL), tea, and a good book

and when in doubt, OS. A few rolls, a few rocks, and problem solved

In the morning, I like to do some from GGP and sometimes some OS. It's also a time that I try to schedule some of the more energetic parts of my martial art.

Before bed, I'll try to do the more calming parts of my martial art. If I'm lucky, I'll motivate myself to do some relaxed stretching. I have trouble with before-bed consistency. It's when I'm tired.

Between those two times, all the other stuff: sedentary job, intermittent activity, walk break in afternoon, sometimes martial arts school or lesson, sometimes lift weights (Iron Cardio for the time being), family time, read, play guitar, etc.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom