all posts post new thread

Fitness and nutrition "debunk" sources

Anna C

Level 9 Valued Member
Team Leader Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
My first year of delving into strength training and fitness in 2014 I was excited at how much there was to learn.

My second and third year I felt a bit overwhelmed at how much I perceived that I to know, understand, and be able to communicate in order to be a fitness professional. With social media and the ability for anyone to gain popularity and followers with catchy content, those who seemed to be providing valuable information were everywhere. I needed some better tools to cut through to the good stuff. Fitness industry is a secondary profession for me as I work full time in IT, but one I take seriously, getting certified as NASM-CPT/StrongFirst Elite/USAW 1, training people part-time, and attending many professional seminars. I plan to transition into it full time in a couple of years after I retire from my IT career in 2026 at age 58.

My fourth year I started questioning - Do I really have to "know" all that stuff? And I began noticing that there's a LOT of BS out there, and also that there are a lot of good sources combatting the BS and bringing us back to reality, simplicity, and evidence. (I would say "common sense", but honestly that's where we sometimes go wrong. Common sense is only as good as the filter, which is our own perception.) I started understanding that we really don't have to "know" all that stuff that's floating around out there, we can focus on the good quality info and develop our filters to learn to give minimal attention to the rest.

There are good sources of information, and then there are the ones that go a step beyond -- not only being good sources, but actively calling out bad information and providing evidence and reasoning. These past few years I've really come to appreciate these sources and listen to them regularly to keep me grounded. Some of my favorites:
I've linked the IG channels, but i think in some cases the YouTube or Podcasts are the best sources. There are a few others I could mention that do the debunking in more of a mean-spirited way with sarcasm and personal attacks, so I'll leave those off. I'm not as fond of those; I suppose they serve a purpose too, but I prefer a more professional approach which I think the ones above are able to do.

There are also a few others that I love, and I think provide 90% great information, but IMO they sometimes stray a bit outside their lane and put out information that sounds great, but ends up being a little bit off course. Peter Attia, Huberman, Rhonda Patrick, Shawn Stevenson, Squat U, and others. I give them a pass on being 100% accurate because I think on the whole they provide a great service.

Who are your favorite sources for debunking the BS and giving you good evidence-based information?

My first year of delving into strength training and fitness in 2014 I was excited at how much there was to learn.

My second and third year I felt a bit overwhelmed at how much I perceived that I to know, understand, and be able to communicate in order to be a fitness professional. With social media and the ability for anyone to gain popularity and followers with catchy content, those who seemed to be providing valuable information were everywhere. I needed some better tools to cut through to the good stuff. Fitness industry is a secondary profession for me as I work full time in IT, but one I take seriously, getting certified as NASM-CPT/StrongFirst Elite/USAW 1, training people part-time, and attending many professional seminars. I plan to transition into it full time in a couple of years after I retire from my IT career in 2026 at age 58.

My fourth year I started questioning - Do I really have to "know" all that stuff? And I began noticing that there's a LOT of BS out there, and also that there are a lot of good sources combatting the BS and bringing us back to reality, simplicity, and evidence. (I would say "common sense", but honestly that's where we sometimes go wrong. Common sense is only as good as the filter, which is our own perception.) I started understanding that we really don't have to "know" all that stuff that's floating around out there, we can focus on the good quality info and develop our filters to learn to give minimal attention to the rest.

There are good sources of information, and then there are the ones that go a step beyond -- not only being good sources, but actively calling out bad information and providing evidence and reasoning. These past few years I've really come to appreciate these sources and listen to them regularly to keep me grounded. Some of my favorites:
I've linked the IG channels, but i think in some cases the YouTube or Podcasts are the best sources. There are a few others I could mention that do the debunking in more of a mean-spirited way with sarcasm and personal attacks, so I'll leave those off. I'm not as fond of those; I suppose they serve a purpose too, but I prefer a more professional approach which I think the ones above are able to do.

There are also a few others that I love, and I think provide 90% great information, but IMO they sometimes stray a bit outside their lane and put out information that sounds great, but ends up being a little bit off course. Peter Attia, Huberman, Rhonda Patrick, Shawn Stevenson, Squat U, and others. I give them a pass on being 100% accurate because I think on the whole they provide a great service.

Who are your favorite sources for debunking the BS and giving you good evidence-based information?
I like examine.com and labdoor.com.

Examine tells you what works and what doesn't with studies. Labdoor provides the best quality supplements and bang for your buck through independent testing.

Lyle McDonald. In a world of hucksters trying to sell you something, he is a breath of fresh air though an a-hole for sure. He doesn't suffer fools or stupid questions. Plenty of "unprofessionalism" when dealing with BS and hucksters and unsubstantiated claims, but he delivers good content and coaching. He generally stays in his lane and is pretty firmly against claims of knowledge/experience that are heavily PED influenced gains, which is where most other fitness gurus lose me quickly.

Red Pen Reviews is an excellent source for finding out if the new nutrition book is BS or not. They do some cool research reviews and then rate the diet recommendations on scientific accuracy, healthfulness, and overall accuracy.

Some good IG accounts I’ve found:

I agree on your list of almost great sources. Attila’s best stuff is where he discusses where he was wrong.
Huberman I’m liking less the more I look into the basis of his protocols. A surprisingly high amount of it is essentially made up. Very Tim Ferriss 4HB-esque.

Last edited:
Pubmed NCBI.
I immediately downgrade information that comes from an openly declared monetized source, regarding it as biased in some way that allows them to 'own' it - hitching it to their already held beliefs.

If they are citing research, I can usually find it on my own, read it for myself, see who funded it. If they are promoting or asserting something for which they only have anecdotal evidence I file it away as potentially useful...or not. This is a huge file.

I'm pretty jaded toward a lot of the experts, they get paid to some extent by keeping my butt listening to/visiting their podcasts/YT channels etc etc. Since fitness and nutrition cause and effect lay on a continuum, its pretty easy to find research that both confirms and denies a lot of approaches and beliefs. If genuinely curious I'll approach a statement from both sides and weigh the evidence on my own. The basics are the basics for a reason.

I’ve been listening to all of Dan John’s stuff lately, although I doubt that would be a shock to this forum…
DJ - not to say he has no knowledge in that direction, just that he's more about the art, practice, and application than the scientificals.

Fwiw, I'm with you though - I'd listen to a bazillion of his podcasts before I'd invest an hour w. some others that have been mentioned (no offense).

Sohee’s husband Ben Carpenter i fine a breath of fresh air on IG

The fitness chef https://instagram.com/thefitnesschef_?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Luke Hanna

Good ones! Thank you!

I bought Ben Carpenter's book and I've seen him on Sohee's channel but I never thought to look for his. The others look great as well.

Yourself and a good number of SF coaches on here. True lights in the darkness when looking for reliable, proven methods and information.
Thank you! Yes, StrongFirst as a knowledge source goes without saying, but truly it should be said. I've learned more useful things here than anywhere, and it spans the spectrum from facts, knowledge, science, art, application, insight, and dare I say, all the way to downright enlightenment when it comes to training.

@Anna C what don’t you love about Peter Attia ?
Truly very little -- I find him to be extremely knowledgeable, articulate, willing to learn as he goes through life, willing to share his thought processes, generous in giving credit to others, and a rich source with uncommon clarity. I love his podcast and listen to at least half of them (have not yet subscribed to the membership one but have considered it). I think my only criticisms would be in areas where he was a little too forcefully "I'm right about this" in the past (mostly diet and exercise; fasting, keto, a little too zealous on zone 2 cardio and probably still is) and I think he's more critical of his past self than I ever would be.

Lyle McDonald. In a world of hucksters trying to sell you something, he is a breath of fresh air though an a-hole for sure.
Agree and agree. I used The Ultimate Diet 2.0 to reach 6.1% bodyfat in 2012~13. I started at 238 lbs and bought his book around the 200~210 lb mark. I followed it exactly, ending up 188 lbs and 6.1% bodyfat measured on the Bod Pod. I was 49 yrs old and used no drugs or “fat burners” of any kind.

Yes, he can be unpleasant. I spent a little time on his forum but there were just so many “Lyle Jrs” attacking people and flaming almost every question that I quietly stepped out of the room. That said, I’d not hesitate to buy any of his products because Lyle does know his stuff.

Lyle McDonald. In a world of hucksters trying to sell you something, he is a breath of fresh air though an a-hole for sure. He doesn't suffer fools or stupid questions. Plenty of "unprofessionalism" when dealing with BS and hucksters and unsubstantiated claims, but he delivers good content and coaching. He generally stays in his lane and is pretty firmly against claims of knowledge/experience that are heavily PED influenced gains, which is where most other fitness gurus lose me quickly.
Before this forum and others like it, there was the NNTP protocol: newsgroups, many of which you can still find a google groups. On the old misc.fitness.weights, you’ll find Lyle and I going ‘round and ‘round at times.

-S-

Alan Aragon is probably the best source on nutrition out there. His book Flexible Dieting is highly recommended, and he is always very polite, kind, and takes time to talk with folks (like me).

Before this forum and others like it, there was the NNTP protocol: newsgroups, many of which you can still find a google groups. On the old misc.fitness.weights, you’ll find Lyle and I going ‘round and ‘round at times.

-S-
I was on the Supertraining and some strongman listserves back in the day before forums. I probably first knew of Lyle through one of those, but honestly don't recall.

I was on the Supertraining and some strongman listserves back in the day before forums.
The Supertraining list run by Mel Siff (the co-author of the Supertraining book) was great for critical thinking and cutting through the BS, as were the Soma Simple forums for physical therapy related topics. Both had a very skeptical eye for anything that was not backed by solid science and/or empirical experience, and the people involved had enough knowledge and experience to recognize not only outright snake oil, but also old wine in new bottles marketing of common practices from the past the past as branded, breakthrough, proprietary game-changing secrets.

Soma Simple was especially interesting for exploring a more neurodynamic and biopsychosocial model of approaching pain and injury, not just the traditional mechanical model.

Mel Siff's book Facts and Fallacies of Fitness from 1995 was also a great resource for BS detection, although it appears to be out of print.

Sciencebasedmedicine.org is a currently active site that I like for critically examining medical and health related topics.

Pubmed NCBI.
I immediately downgrade information that comes from an openly declared monetized source, regarding it as biased in some way that allows them to 'own' it - hitching it to their already held beliefs.

If they are citing research, I can usually find it on my own, read it for myself, see who funded it. If they are promoting or asserting something for which they only have anecdotal evidence I file it away as potentially useful...or not. This is a huge file.

I'm pretty jaded toward a lot of the experts, they get paid to some extent by keeping my butt listening to/visiting their podcasts/YT channels etc etc. Since fitness and nutrition cause and effect lay on a continuum, its pretty easy to find research that both confirms and denies a lot of approaches and beliefs. If genuinely curious I'll approach a statement from both sides and weigh the evidence on my own. The basics are the basics for a reason.
I get that, but personally I don’t have the time or the skills to dig through mountains of research, evaluate methodologies, guess at why some things contradict, etc.

Pretty much all I can do reliably is ignore in vitro studies and assume RCTs are probably pretty good.

I find people that do go through those studies and provide wrap ups like MASS do give a great value add.

Granted there are a TON of people that try to masquerade as doing the above, but are just fishing for the next fitness/ nutrition trend. They are pretty easy to spot if you stay on the biohacker trends. Just searching for “seed oils” in their past pieces usually gives you some insight into their credibility or tolerance for proof.

Fitness is even easier to spot a charlatan. Do their program for a while. If it sucks you will know quick.

Back
Top Bottom