all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Fixed my knee!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Paul Sellers

Level 5 Valued Member
Sort of.

Recently got back into KBs after a loooonnnnggg layoff following the birth of our second child and a rather nasty bout of illness.

I piled on the weight over Lockdown so the motivation wasn't strength it was self preservation. Having said that the feeling of strength returning and growing has been like a banquet to a starving man.

Over lockdown I developed a knee. Friends have always told me that, because I am tall, I would inevitably get "a knee". Always a keen runner I dismissed the idea. The lifelong feeling that I am and always will be bulletproof didn't help either. So when I woke up one day last October with my left knee twice the size it should be I thought, oh, I've got a knee. After my doctor drew off a couple of pints of fluid and I treated myself to a bit of elevation and Ibuprofen I knew I had to do something to address the weigh and the knee. He advised that he could refer me but the orthopods would do nothing to try to repair any damage to the cartilage, which he said was almost certainly toast, due to my age as they rarely surgically intervene on anyone past 40yrs. Charming. Kick a man while he's down, why don't you.

Swings only caused pain followed by days of hobbling about. I was gutted. Were my lifting days over? After growing desperate I gingerly tried a different tack and what I discovered was that what didn't hurt - and here's where my brain just melts - was squats. Front squats with double 16s to be accurate. I had (past tense, now) a busted knee so how could loading it with a squat let alone a weighted squat not hurt like heck and heal the damage into the bargain? I dunno but it did. I could barely walk up stairs. I had to come down on my backside but now my knee is 90% pain free. I can understand that strengthening the supporting structures around the knee can stabilize the joint and reduce pain that way but I'd expected pain in the early days of the rehabilitation process while the joint strengthened but none occurred.

It seems kettlebell really are good for what ails you.

Now for S&S (again).

I am a bit younger, and have never had surgery on my knees but have always had times of knee pain due to combat sports and high activity levels. It always gets worse when I get heavier (as expected), and the one thing that has consistently improved my knees just like you are squats. I typically used barbell low back squats, but with the same result as you. Some people say squats hurt their knees, but for me they have always been therapeutic.

I'm glad you have found something that works and allows you to continue doing something you enjoy and that is so important to overall health.

Sort of.

Recently got back into KBs after a loooonnnnggg layoff following the birth of our second child and a rather nasty bout of illness.

I piled on the weight over Lockdown so the motivation wasn't strength it was self preservation. Having said that the feeling of strength returning and growing has been like a banquet to a starving man.

Over lockdown I developed a knee. Friends have always told me that, because I am tall, I would inevitably get "a knee". Always a keen runner I dismissed the idea. The lifelong feeling that I am and always will be bulletproof didn't help either. So when I woke up one day last October with my left knee twice the size it should be I thought, oh, I've got a knee. After my doctor drew off a couple of pints of fluid and I treated myself to a bit of elevation and Ibuprofen I knew I had to do something to address the weigh and the knee. He advised that he could refer me but the orthopods would do nothing to try to repair any damage to the cartilage, which he said was almost certainly toast, due to my age as they rarely surgically intervene on anyone past 40yrs. Charming. Kick a man while he's down, why don't you.

Swings only caused pain followed by days of hobbling about. I was gutted. Were my lifting days over? After growing desperate I gingerly tried a different tack and what I discovered was that what didn't hurt - and here's where my brain just melts - was squats. Front squats with double 16s to be accurate. I had (past tense, now) a busted knee so how could loading it with a squat let alone a weighted squat not hurt like heck and heal the damage into the bargain? I dunno but it did. I could barely walk up stairs. I had to come down on my backside but now my knee is 90% pain free. I can understand that strengthening the supporting structures around the knee can stabilize the joint and reduce pain that way but I'd expected pain in the early days of the rehabilitation process while the joint strengthened but none occurred.

It seems kettlebell really are good for what ails you.

Now for S&S (again).

Well done! You might get some explanation and validation by looking up the videos by the "knees over toes guy." But first, go through this review of his approach:

@Paul Sellers

The knee is most often the victim of either upstream (hip complex) or downstream (foot / ankle) dysfunction. Obviously the extra weight contributed as well, but it sounds like just working the squatting movement pattern allowed your glutes, hamstrings, hips and ankles to open up which in turn relieved the knee. More than likely, your gait while walking improved as well. Glad to hear it worked for you.

Well done! You might get some explanation and validation by looking up the videos by the "knees over toes guy." But first, go through this review of his approach:

Thank you, barrak - I've seen this on my recommended list. I'll definitely check this out.

I am a bit younger, and have never had surgery on my knees but have always had times of knee pain due to combat sports and high activity levels. It always gets worse when I get heavier (as expected), and the one thing that has consistently improved my knees just like you are squats. I typically used barbell low back squats, but with the same result as you. Some people say squats hurt their knees, but for me they have always been therapeutic.

I'm glad you have found something that works and allows you to continue doing something you enjoy and that is so important to overall health.
Thanks, BJJ Shawn 80)

@Paul Sellers

The knee is most often the victim of either upstream (hip complex) or downstream (foot / ankle) dysfunction. Obviously the extra weight contributed as well, but it sounds like just working the squatting movement pattern allowed your glutes, hamstrings, hips and ankles to open up which in turn relieved the knee. More than likely, your gait while walking improved as well. Glad to hear it worked for you.
Thanks, Nathan! My gait has drastically improved since I started squatting. I suffer with tight hamstrings as I have a desk job and it's a constant fight to keep mobility high. With a 36" inside leg I don't have the best levers for the squat so it was never something I was comfortable with however I foresee many, many squats in my future.

barrak - thank you so much for this. Just watch his first video and it was a revalation. It seems in 1978 the risk was recognized and everyone has been avoiding ever since. They should have gone for mitigation - strengthen in the weakest point of the range of the joint. I think I'll try walking backwards and report back. But... me being me I'm already wondering if performing Farmer's Carry backwards would be even better?

barrak - thank you so much for this. Just watch his first video and it was a revalation. It seems in 1978 the risk was recognized and everyone has been avoiding ever since. They should have gone for mitigation - strengthen in the weakest point of the range of the joint. I think I'll try walking backwards and report back. But... me being me I'm already wondering if performing Farmer's Carry backwards would be even better?
Haha... You need to slow-up my friend.

Tendons need to be gently coaxed over time... they'll rebel against brute force.

By the way, primal squatting for time and GTG style did a lot of good for my knees and ankles mobility and health.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom