all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Forearm pain while doing extended farmer walks?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

silveraw

Level 9 Valued Member
I've been having a weird issue pop up and I'm not sure how to handle it. When doing suitcase carries after a minute or two I get a pain in my right forearm. If I pulled up a muscle chart it would be right around the meat of the flexor carpi radialis. It kind of feels like something is "catching" there.

It seems to flare up based on duration. So a farmer walk with a 24kg kettlebell will trigger it after a minute or two as does a 200lb farmer implement carry. I've had it pop up on longer one handed swing sets as well. I haven't noticed it as much if I use a fixed farmer bar (a bar connecting the farmer implements so they do not rotate freely) or trap bar. I first noticed it when doing kettlebell miles.

Anyone dealt with this issue? I'm thinking just hammering it with a theragun or lacrosse ball might be the first step but I'm throwing shots in the dark.

Try rolling out your forearms with a barbell.

Usually works for me whenever I have some kind of myofascial thing.

Do you mean one isn't missing anything by leaving out loaded carries, generally, or just a specific genre of them?
The former, but that could also mean all other exercises. Not just farmers. Nothing wrong with farmers. All I'm trying to say is one exercise isn't the magic key to unlocking all your fitness goals. Forearm strain, tennis and golfers elbow will set you back months. If it hurts, don't.

When SF started out, there was this huge hype about the Zercher squat. Holding a barbell in the crux of my arms isn't for me. Never did them, didn't miss out.

Sounds like an overuse protest from your forearm. I'd forego it for a while, or find another way to carry the weight other than in your hands. For instance, walk with a barbell on your back, if you have the setup for it.

I've been having a weird issue pop up and I'm not sure how to handle it. When doing suitcase carries after a minute or two I get a pain in my right forearm. If I pulled up a muscle chart it would be right around the meat of the flexor carpi radialis. It kind of feels like something is "catching" there.

It seems to flare up based on duration. So a farmer walk with a 24kg kettlebell will trigger it after a minute or two as does a 200lb farmer implement carry. I've had it pop up on longer one handed swing sets as well. I haven't noticed it as much if I use a fixed farmer bar (a bar connecting the farmer implements so they do not rotate freely) or trap bar. I first noticed it when doing kettlebell miles.

Anyone dealt with this issue? I'm thinking just hammering it with a theragun or lacrosse ball might be the first step but I'm throwing shots in the dark.
Give the theragun and smashing a go and try switching hands more frequently with the 24 walk.

The former, but that could also mean all other exercises. Not just farmers. Nothing wrong with farmers. All I'm trying to say is one exercise isn't the magic key to unlocking all your fitness goals. Forearm strain, tennis and golfers elbow will set you back months. If it hurts, don't.

When SF started out, there was this huge hype about the Zercher squat. Holding a barbell in the crux of my arms isn't for me. Never did them, didn't miss out.

FWIW, I've never done a Zercher, either.

Maybe it would build my lagging biceps, though. ;)

Give the theragun and smashing a go and try switching hands more frequently with the 24 walk.
Problem is I've usually got an implement in the other hand. Hope the theragun works! I don't want to be the drunk looking for his keys under the lamp because that is where the light is. (meaning I've got a theragun, no idea if it will address the mysteries of forearms)
Sounds like an overuse protest from your forearm. I'd forego it for a while, or find another way to carry the weight other than in your hands. For instance, walk with a barbell on your back, if you have the setup for it.
Agree, I've gone away from them for a while but it seems that it is right there whenever I come back. So hoping to try another approach. I have been doing a lot more sled drags and yolk walks recently which feel a lot better than a farmer, so definitely a good idea. Thanks!
Don't do farmer's carries. If it hurts, stop. You're not missing anything
I did for a while, but farmer carries do frequently pop up in competition which is prompting me to get a new approach.
I’m not an expert but maybe try finger extension exercises?
I was going to say I do these all the time... But realized I put my finger bands in the closet when I moved my desk a year ago and haven't touched them since. You may be on to something here.

Last edited:
Problem is I've usually got an implement in the other hand. Hope the theragun works! I don't want to be the drunk looking for his keys under the lamp because that is where the light is. (meaning I've got a theragun, no idea if it will address the mysteries of forearms)

Agree, I've gone away from them for a while but it seems that it is right there whenever I come back. So hoping to try another approach. I have been doing a lot more sled drags and yolk walks recently which feel a lot better than a farmer, so definitely a good idea. Thanks!

I did for a while, but farmer carries do frequently pop up in competition which is prompting me to get a new approach.

I was going to say I do these all the time... But realized I put my finger bands in the closet when I moved my desk a year ago and haven't touched them since. You may be on to something here.
Did you build up over time ?

Recently, I have found a bunch of joint health exercises from gymnastics and calisthenics youtube sites that I started doing. These types of athletes often have wrist, forearm, and elbow pain if the joints are not adequately prepared. The keywords are "Prehab" and "Joint Preparation." There are also really good ones on scapular mobility, strength, and stability as well. Not working the extensors seem like a great place to start though. Also, get into a kneeling position on the floor but with your fingers FACING you. VERY gently stretch your forearms by gently rocking back and forth and in circles. This really helps me with the bad combination of grip work and computer work.

If it is specific to one arm and results in pain, it might be worth visiting a physiotherapist. If both arms hurt, then it would more likely be overuse or lack of joint preparation or stretching.

Do you work your obliques much in other exercises? This is an often neglected area. Do you do one arm swings or other anti-rotation exercises regularly? You might be tilting too much and letting your forearms take too much of the load rather than working with your obliques in tandem.

Sometimes when my forearms get tight it just means I was carrying some $#!+ that was either heavier than the $#!+ I'm used to carrying, or with more volume.

Don't y'all ever get tired body parts for doing routine landscaping, moving stones, hauling wood, and such?

Seems pretty normal to me.

Personally, I don't fret about it unless it persists a week or two after self-therapy.

Last edited:
Sometimes when my forearms get tight it just means I was carrying some $#!+ that was either heavier than the $#!+ I'm used to carrying, or with more volume.

Don't y'all ever get tired body parts for doing routine landscaping, moving stones, hauling wood, and such?

Seems pretty normal to me.

Personally, I don't fret about it unless it persists a week or two after self-therapy.
Having had tennis elbow back to back years. Once from too many snatches and the other from a stupid static tow exercise, I'm frightened of it. Theraband made it worse. It just wouldn't go away unless I had cortisone

Recently, I have found a bunch of joint health exercises from gymnastics and calisthenics youtube sites that I started doing. These types of athletes often have wrist, forearm, and elbow pain if the joints are not adequately prepared. The keywords are "Prehab" and "Joint Preparation." There are also really good ones on scapular mobility, strength, and stability as well. Not working the extensors seem like a great place to start though. Also, get into a kneeling position on the floor but with your fingers FACING you. VERY gently stretch your forearms by gently rocking back and forth and in circles. This really helps me with the bad combination of grip work and computer work.

If it is specific to one arm and results in pain, it might be worth visiting a physiotherapist. If both arms hurt, then it would more likely be overuse or lack of joint preparation or stretching.
Thanks I’ll take a look. I know exactly what stretch you are talking about. I hate it which probably means I should do it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom