all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Front squat discussion.

Whey

Level 1 Valued Member
I'm currently training for SFG1 and while I was watching vids on youtube I saw this one:

It's Brett Jones talking about the Goblet Squat and the kettlebell holding position. To keep the counterbalance he put the kettlebell just a little away from the chest to descend perpendicular to the ground. The question is, does this apply to the double kettlebell front squat aswell? Or do they want the kettlebell in the rack position? what do they look for in the SFG1 certification?

And if possible can you post a video with a lateral view?

Thank you so much for the help.

does this apply to the double kettlebell front squat aswell?
No.

And if possible can you post a video with a lateral view?
There is a side view at about the 48 second mark (near the end) of the video.

Or do they want the kettlebell in the rack position? what do they look for in the SFG1 certification?
Watch the SFG-1 Standards video on the StrongFirst channel on YouTube - come back with any questions you may have after seeing that as regards the front squat.

-S-

No.

Watch the SFG-1 Standards video on the StrongFirst channel on YouTube - come back with any questions you may have after seeing that as regards the front squat.

-S-
Hi! I saw the full video, i meant a side view of a front squat, not the goblet squat.

I saw the Zar Horton video 2000 times, just there isn't a proper side view. The bells seems to be in the rack position but I can't really see the spine.

Thank you so much

Last edited:
Hi! I saw the full video, i meant a side view of a front squat, not the goblet squat.

I saw the Zar Horton video 2000 , just there isn't a proper side view. The bells seems to be in the rack position but I can't really see the spine.

Thank you so much
Like this.

Like this.

Yeah, I saw that aswell the point is for example in my front squat, my trunk is more flexed than this one. I'm working already on my ankle and hip mobility. I guess it's just my femur lenght the problem since I can't verticalize my squat even more. I just want to understand what you look for in the SFG1 certification.

Thank you so much

No.

-S-
Yeah, I saw that aswell the point is for example in my front squat, my trunk is more flexed than this one. I'm working already on my ankle and hip mobility. I guess it's just my femur lenght the problem since I can't verticalize my squat even more. I just want to understand what you look for in the SFG1 certification.

Thank you so much

I just recorded a front squat. It was just a pair of 12 kgs but I wasn't training at the moment and I didn't activate myself as usual so I'm stiffier than usual but I wanted to show you what I was talking about. What do you think about my Front Squat? My form is SFG1 worthy?

I just recorded a front squat. It was just a pair of 12 kgs but I wasn't training at the moment and I didn't activate myself as usual so I'm stiffier than usual but I wanted to show you what I was talking about. What do you think about my Front Squat? My form is SFG1 worthy?
They look fine to me.

It doesn't look too bad.

Are you having trouble keeping the bell from spilling forward out of the rack? That's what happens when you have to incline your torso forward too much.

You can raise your elbows a little away from your body as you descend to keep the bells in the rack, but you can't move the bells themselves away from the body like counterbalancing with a goblet squat (and I don't see how this would even be physically possible with more than very light bells).

Your stance seems a little narrow. Too narrow a stance doesn't give you room to sit down between your feet and forces you to sit back further behind your feet. This puts a premium on ankle dorsiflexion and makes it harder to stay balanced without leaning your torso forward (which then makes it harder to keep the bells in the rack).

Try experimenting with a wider stance and with your degree of foot turnout, and see if making more space between your legs helps.

They look fine to me.
Thank you!

It doesn't look too bad.

Are you having trouble keeping the bell from spilling forward out of the rack? That's what happens when you have to incline your torso forward too much.

You can raise your elbows a little away from your body as you descend to keep the bells in the rack, but you can't move the bells themselves away from the body like counterbalancing with a goblet squat (and I don't see how this would even be physically possible with more than very light bells).

Your stance seems a little narrow. Too narrow a stance doesn't give you room to sit down between your feet and forces you to sit back further behind your feet. This puts a premium on ankle dorsiflexion and makes it harder to stay balanced without leaning your torso forward (which then makes it harder to keep the bells in the rack).

Try experimenting with a wider stance and with your degree of foot turnout, and see if making more space between your legs helps.
Thank you for your analyses. No I can keep the bells in the rack position, I was just wondering if I can use the bells as a counterbalance as I do in the goblet squat. I'll try with a wider stance and I'll let you know, thank you so much!

The noteworthy thing, which you should try to emulate, in Louka‘s video is the fact that his forearms remain vertical the entire time. In your video yours come out away for your from your body at an angle. Don’t focus on where his elbows end up in relationship to his knees because that will be different for everyone depending on how they’re built and also depending on the depth they’re able to achieve.

-S-

The noteworthy thing, which you should try to emulate, in Louka‘s video is the fact that his forearms remain vertical the entire time. In your video yours come out away for your from your body at an angle. Don’t focus on where his elbows end up in relationship to his knees because that will be different for everyone depending on how they’re built and also depending on the depth they’re able to achieve.

-S-
Ok, thank you. I'll try to squat with those tips and I'll post a video with a kettlebell snatch test size

Back
Top Bottom