all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Fundamental exercises

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Patrik Novák

Level 3 Valued Member
I greet all strong ...
I have a question about exercises like TGU and loaded carries...

as most of the time here, the brightness grew up on a regular daily dose of swing + Tgu and now after a few years my routine is either Q&D or A + A swings / snatches and fundamental exercises that built my kettlbell passion, I somehow succumbed

Dan John lets his trustees do TGU only with their own weight or shoes exceptionally maximum 16kg bell per guys.

What offer TGU with heawier Bell and loaded carries ?
How I Can put this exercise to my own regiment and Are someone here who do some form od Easy Strenght for long tíme with Bells and with good result?

I can’t speak to TGU because I don’t do them. I’m not convinced that heavy ones have a favorable risk to reward ratio, nor do I know what would qualify “heavy.”

Loaded carries have been a game changer for me. Along with swings, nothing has paid off so amazingly well for so little effort. My version of “Easy Conditioning” that Ive been doing now for a few months is alternating sets of swings with a carry. I add it in after lifting, or before rucking. I’ve even alternated a few minutes on the rowing erg as well.

They all seem to tie the body together into one unit better than anything else I’ve tried.

I've gone as high as 34kg TGU just to say I hit 1/2 BW,, and regularly lifted the 32kg at a body weight of 67-68kg. Didn't find much carryover to anything with regular 32kg practice, honestly. Maybe it helped my press, but the OAOLPU had WAY better transfer to my press than the TGU ever did.

I don't think I'll really go that heavy again unless I have to, which means likely never. I love doing 2-3 on each side in the warmup with a 16-20kg semi-regularly, it's the sweet spot for me.

Define "good results".
TGU = pure GPP - mobility, flexibility, stability, balance, general strength, core strength, grip strength, etc.
Loaded carries = stability, core strength and dominating share of general and grip strength
I did both as GPP for quite a while, loaded carries was a forced choice, because of the injury that prevented doing my tgu. I combined often 2-3 deadlifts into loaded carries, which was a killer combo.
Both are great choices for simple strength and GPP, each with their specifics.
Being back to TGU, I can say I'm happy to reclaim this great overhead stability development element, which contributes a lot to snatch.

I stopped TGUs once I got to 32KG. I found the progression from 0 TGUs to 32kg really helped me learn control of my shoulders and gain upper body mobility. I moved on to snatches and C&P and have not looked back.

I always try to put some loaded carries at the end of my workout. My regulars are farmer walk, suitcase walk, and double KB rack walk. Favorite is 80lbs of salt in a duffleback - bearhug walk. Bearhug walk is for that "anaconda strength."

Certainly, loaded carries will make you better at carrying heavy stuff, if that happens to be something you need in your life.

The heavy TGU has been a topic of much debate lately...

TGU = pure GPP - mobility, flexibility, stability, balance, general strength, core strength, grip strength, etc.

+1 to all that. I would also add mental focus and confidence.

But, to be fair, there are other methods to achieve all those goals that are less "risky" than heavy TGUs. If you already feel like you are working on those areas in other ways, you won't be missing much by not including heavy TGUs.

I believe that heavy TGUs build durability/toughness - but that's just what I believe, it's not scientific.

When I was training with KBs daily, I worked up to 40kg in the TGU at a bodyweight of 64kg (5 per side, each rep on the minute). I used to get sore wrists from the design/shape of the particular bell I was using but I felt mostly benefit.

I mostly train Olympic lifting now but I'm sure the stability demands of the TGU have conditioned my shoulders to handle heavier overhead squats and probably carries over better than any kind of pressing movement because both the barbell snatch and clean & jerk involve receiving the bar overhead with locked arms and supporting the weight on the 'structure' rather than with the muscles, much like the TGU.

The 'risk' inherent in performing a Get-up arises from moving up to a weight you're not ready for or from losing your concentration. Respect the weight but don't fear it.

I'm not going to suggest that you won't get similar benefits from other exercises, but unless you've got a good reason to not include TGUs in your kettlebell training, I'd strongly recommend them.

I have the same doubts about TGU, I dont know exactly what they improve. What I do know is that when I was doing S&S with weights from 28 to 40 kg I was feeling great, and also it was when I best felt playing football. I then switched to a more intensive SFG prep, gained some weight and didnt feel so good or played so well.

I wonder if a program of swings and presses, or any other TGU substitution, would have worked as well.

Hello,

Like most of the above, I ramped up until I hit 1/2 bdw (which was 32kg). Then did daily Timeless . I did not have any incentive to go heavier. Plus beyond this weight to bodyweight ratio, it then becomes a matter of pure technique and the risk to benefit ratio sounded less favorable to me.

Therefore I then switched to C&P and squat, plus flexibility and mobility. I find this covers everything just as well as TGU with little to no risk of injury.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I can’t speak to TGU because I don’t do them. I’m not convinced that heavy ones have a favorable risk to reward ratio, nor do I know what would qualify “heavy.”

Loaded carries have been a game changer for me. Along with swings, nothing has paid off so amazingly well for so little effort. My version of “Easy Conditioning” that Ive been doing now for a few months is alternating sets of swings with a carry. I add it in after lifting, or before rucking. I’ve even alternated a few minutes on the rowing erg as well.

They all seem to tie the body together into one unit better than anything else I’ve tried.

Good point Loaded carries tie body together
i feel so

Agreed on all this, and another reason to program them regularly.
[/QUOT
Yes
For me heawy Tgu means 36-40kg and plus
.But usually I do "Slow-long" TGU with 28-32kg Bell with 10second pause in each position

After some time I feel Really that 80% percent rule Has true meaning

I think We Can say that powerfull KB swing/snatch is a Deadlifth which save body and loaded carries and TGU and Presses and other exercises Are accesories exercises right ?

I just trusted to the S&S book. It was stated there that heavy TGU's will do wonders. And everyone confirmed that.
I do S&S only occasionly, mostly on my deload weeks and do it with 40 kg. But TGU's I do only outside, because of the risk of the falling the kettlebell to the floor. I'm not 100% secure with the 40kg like with 32kg yet.
I think it's, like swings, a great GPP exercise and, like swings, it can be replaced with other exercises, but for GPP this combination is great.

What I like about TGU - with heavy weight you have to concentrate fully on the exercise or you will fail. Swings you can do while half-sleeping, but TGU's are sort of awareness practice.

I've done more than a few Get-ups in the 19 years I've been using KBs and have taught them and had them the foundation of my work with clients from High School athletes to Senior citizens and professional athletes. Even created Kettlebells from the Ground Up 1 and 2 etc....
Personally I've performed Get-ups up to 60kg and have practiced with every weight in between.

Partial get-ups are important—performing get-ups to the elbow or hand (especially to the elbow) is the place to start whether learning the get-up or progressing to a heavier weight.
Performing get-ups with presses teaches you to be able to pull the KB to the rack regardless of which step of the get-up you are on which is another great skill to have as progressing up in weight.

Get-ups should not be performed to fatigue or failure and if you are unsure of the next rep you should not do it.

This is a great way to look at the Get-up.

I personally perform 1-5 get-ups per side each training day. Sometimes as a "warm-up" and sometimes to build by Get-up and get the benefits Alexander noted. And I program them for my clients in a similar fashion.

Get-ups should not be performed to fatigue or failure and if you are unsure of the next rep you should not do it.
This is why I don't understand all the recent get up hate. If you have any doubt in your mind that you can't complete the rep, you simply safely reverse the movement. Things don't just 'give out' when you treat your session like a practice.

Things don't just 'give out' when you treat your session like a practice.
They can "just give out" and have for me. That's why I went to only doing them very lightweight. One shoulder is prone to impingement when overhead and packed forcefully. I learned the hard way (not hardstyle LOL) that this can cause the muscles to go limp in an instant. It only takes one time. For me that one time was, fortunately a learning experience only.

This is why I don't understand all the recent get up hate. If you have any doubt in your mind that you can't complete the rep, you simply safely reverse the movement. Things don't just 'give out' when you treat your session like a practice.

It sounds like you are saying, "As long as you use good judgement, nothing bad will happen"

I don't think that is quite true, but suppose it is. And then suppose that I do TGUs five days a week for the next year. What are the chances that I have good judgement for 2500 reps?

I plan on continuing strength training for the next 25 years. I'm going to make mental errors. Some days, I'll be distracted and tired, and not appropriately evaluating my ability to complete a rep. When my days of bad judgment come, guess what, I won't be in the middle of a TGU, surprised by a kettlebell looking to fall through my head or chest. Because I don't do TGUs anymore -- they don't provide anything that I can't get with less risk.

Also, keep in mind that Simple & Sinister is often encouraged to people inexperienced with training, not having developed good judgement about risks in this context. Telling a beginner: "Do this 14 step exercise, and do it correctly -- if you make a mistake and break something, you didn't do it right" is completely unfair. Why not develop strength (and judgment) with safer exercises, and introducing the TGU for those that have accomplished a standard of strength? Seems better than making the TGU up to 32kg the standard "Do this first".

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom