all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Fundamental exercises

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Eric Wilson, I love TGUs but I agree with you about the exercise selection for a beginner program. I understand from a strength and conditioning stand point the out come is GPP as well as it being a minimalist program, only using two exercises with limited equipment while also filling a lot of holes. But, I usually never even get my athletes or gen pop clients to these exercises unless they show an actual interest in kettlebells. As @brettjones was referring too, i don't really push many people past elbow, hand, Hip, or 1/4 Getup. I also tend to stick to 2 handed swings with clients.
Just personal experience and probably why I need to get my SFG 1 Still to better teach these.

@Eric Wilson, I love TGUs but I agree with you about the exercise selection for a beginner program. I understand from a strength and conditioning stand point the out come is GPP as well as it being a minimalist program, only using two exercises with limited equipment while also filling a lot of holes. But, I usually never even get my athletes or gen pop clients to these exercises unless they show an actual interest in kettlebells. As @brettjones was referring too, i don't really push many people past elbow, hand, Hip, or 1/4 Getup. I also tend to stick to 2 handed swings with clients.
Just personal experience and probably why I need to get my SFG 1 Still to better teach these.
At the certs. they refer to getting your architecture squared away, meaning pillars of support perpendicular to the ground. Very helpful teaching tool regardless of weight used and ability of student.

From my perspective the TGU is a wonderful tool to use with beginners. It teaches one a lot about movement and positioning. Isn’t this is why using a shoe first (as per Pavel) is a good way to learn before graduating to heavier weights?

Why wouldn’t a person use good judgement (or focus, or concentration, or intent) with every rep of their training, (or anything really) regardless of the modality used.

Can accidents and misfortune befall us? Of course they can, but by engaging in our practice with mindful intent, helps to mitigate those mishaps, not to mention deepen and enlighten our experience.

Everyone has their own risk/reward tolerance level.

At the end of the day however, the TGU isn’t going to be for everyone.

Why wouldn’t a person use good judgement (or focus, or concentration, or intent) with every rep of their training, (or anything really) regardless of the modality used.

I wish I were like you. I'm going to assume that you've never had an automobile accident, never dropped your phone, never spilled your milk, never gotten angry with your kids.

Seriously, I don't know how to begin to have a conversation about the reality of lapses of concentration and judgment that has characterized my 48 years on this planet, given that it is such a foreign concept to you.

All I ask is that you try to remember, when one of your family members burns the toast again, that most of us find it difficult to live such a focused and disciplined life.

2) This is why when we are new to things we should take the time to learn and build experience before we subject ourselves (and possibly others) to hazardous situations... but of course we don’t because we...
1) We are human

I wish I were like you. I'm going to assume that you've never had an automobile accident, never dropped your phone, never spilled your milk, never gotten angry with your kids.

Seriously, I don't know how to begin to have a conversation about the reality of lapses of concentration and judgment that has characterized my 48 years on this planet, given that it is such a foreign concept to you.

All I ask is that you try to remember, when one of your family members burns the toast again, that most of us find it difficult to live such a focused and disciplined life.
Eric...
I certainly did not mean to offend...
And not really a foreign concept to me at all. In 63 years I have had plenty mishaps in my life from motorcycle accidents, bicycle accidents, serious climbing accidents, been shot at, dropped my phone, spilled my milk, and gotten angry with my kids. All my fault. Why? All because of lapses in concentration and judgement.

But that does not mean I don’t try to live a life with concentration and focus, especially in situations I have a greater degree of control over.

Again, please accept my apologies for my commentary.

I think there's an interesting philosophical distinction here that flew past pretty quickly.

Why do you drive your car? Because you need to be somewhere, and it's faster than walking? Or because you want to be an excellent operator of motor vehicles?

Why do you make toast? Because you're hungry and you want something to eat, and toast happens to be nearby? Or because you want to maximize you skill in the fine art of lightly dehydrating bread?

Why do you train? Out of a sense of obligation, because you fear that something bad will happen later in life if you don't? Or because you are trying to hone a particular quality to its finest point?

People do different activities for different reasons. To some, it is not unusual to train mindlessly. To some, it is.

My general thought is, whatever decision a person makes about the TGU, or any other modality, they probably made the right one.

Eric...
I certainly did not mean to offend...
And not really a foreign concept to me at all. In 63 years I have had plenty mishaps in my life from motorcycle accidents, bicycle accidents, serious climbing accidents, been shot at, dropped my phone, spilled my milk, and gotten angry with my kids. All my fault. Why? All because of lapses in concentration and judgement.

But that does not mean I don’t try to live a life with concentration and focus, especially in situations I have a greater degree of control over.

Again, please accept my apologies for my commentary.
Not offended -- I think that as @WhatWouldHulkDo was indicating, communication is often difficult because of the different contexts that we approach training.

And sure, I try to keep my focus when I train, and when I drive my car. But it is a car, not a motorcycle, for the same reason that I do presses and carries, not TGU.

Every rewarding experience contains a certain risk. It's up to the person - how to mitigate it, how to program your fail-safe mechanisms for each session, how to plan an escape route from the bell, or how to involve a second hand.
Or you can just consider it unsafe and that's it. Every choice is valid. Neither can't be absolute truth.
Just for a fact - most of the injuries in sports come from neglecting technique and not respecting the light weight, being confident about what one do - ie from the potentially safe situations. The is danger of injury always diminishes, when you are conscious about what you are going to do.
That's to say, everyone's choice is respected, and there's absolutely no need to turn the personal experience into statistics, either positive or negative.

But it is a car, not a motorcycle, for the same reason that I do presses and carries, not TGU.

Ha, great analogy! In truth, that's actually what I loved about riding a motorcycle back when I had one - you are there, and there only, in the ride, truly mindful of the road around you, not jamming along to the radio. Or, you are a pancake.

I'm definitely getting a bike again soon. Might be a good idea to wait till 2020 has rolled out of town, though...

Ha, great analogy! In truth, that's actually what I loved about riding a motorcycle back when I had one - you are there, and there only, in the ride, truly mindful of the road around you, not jamming along to the radio. Or, you are a pancake.

I'm definitely getting a bike again soon. Might be a good idea to wait till 2020 has rolled out of town, though...
This is the thing I miss most about riding, for sure.

Personally, I don't do get ups because I just don't enjoy them and never have. I don't really care about the benefits, risks or anything else. I trained them enough to get certifed and recertified when Pavel was with that other organization that rhymes with Bragon Boor, but don't think I've done one since.

Life is short and in many situations we don't have free choice. In choosing training drills we do.

Why do you make toast? Because you're hungry and you want something to eat, and toast happens to be nearby? Or because you want to maximize you skill in the fine art of lightly dehydrating bread?
Well, it's really more about the Maillard reaction than dehydration, but point taken.

Mindfulness and attention to detail are all well and good, but you don't want to be this guy:

Artisinalpencilsharpening.com

Years ago snatches and bent presses were the s***. Then swings and presses. Then swings and get ups. Get ups were all the rage. Now they're being hated. I don't really get it. Lots still train heavy get up. Some don't. Do what you can. Get ups day in and day out, like everything get boring (at least to me). Do them if you can light if you have to. Heavy if you can and want to.
As far as I'm concerned the core moves are swings, presses, squats, and carries (the tgu falling somewhere in between most of those exercises)
I'm just wondering what the new "IT" move is going to be

Somewhere on the wild, wooly webz there is a short video of Dan John getting his prancercize on, gamboling down his street.

Get ups were all the rage. Now they're being hated
Every thing that becomes popular, involves more participants. The more people, the more cases, positive and negative. I don't think that get-ups are being hated, it's the small number people at this forum, who consistently vote against, because of their own negative experiences.

I'm just wondering what the new "IT" move is going to be

Luckily, I don't care about the "Pop" trends, everything we need was invented long ago. Something that becomes more or less popular doesn't make it better or worse. It's like after pandemic started, suddenly majority of the pop fitness sites start to "enlighten" us, how kettlebell is great for everything.
Do I really need a kick in the a#@ to start understanding something, or do I need society's approval to like or dislike something? Not really. And if each Pavel's book was accepted by someone like a trend, well, I'm firmly disagree with that.

I've done more than a few Get-ups in the 19 years I've been using KBs and have taught them and had them the foundation of my work with clients from High School athletes to Senior citizens and professional athletes. Even created Kettlebells from the Ground Up 1 and 2 etc....
Personally I've performed Get-ups up to 60kg and have practiced with every weight in between.

Partial get-ups are important—performing get-ups to the elbow or hand (especially to the elbow) is the place to start whether learning the get-up or progressing to a heavier weight.
Performing get-ups with presses teaches you to be able to pull the KB to the rack regardless of which step of the get-up you are on which is another great skill to have as progressing up in weight.

Get-ups should not be performed to fatigue or failure and if you are unsure of the next rep you should not do it.

This is a great way to look at the Get-up.

I personally perform 1-5 get-ups per side each training day. Sometimes as a "warm-up" and sometimes to build by Get-up and get the benefits Alexander noted. And I program them for my clients in a similar fashion.

Thanks Master Brett I appreciate your words.

My question is Are you added a KB presses to your weekly schelude even nowdays ?

Best
Appreciate IT

Patrick

Just a thought I had. Many recommend the tgu, but may programs don't include it (aside from maybe warming up). Most programs have a squat, a press, and a hinge. Pavels work is the only one I can think of that readily includes the tgu. But Pavel also has the programs that get us from point A to point B safely and effectively and allow us to get ready for other non tgu programs. Never forget where you came from and who got you there.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom