all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Gada/Mace Swings for ROP Warm-up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jason Whitford

First Post
Hello All,

First post here on StrongFirst! Wanted to try and get thoughts or opinions on using Gada/Mace Swings to practice before I get into the strength portion of ROP. Do you believe it would be too taxing before the workout or something that would help to prep for it, or could they be substituted for swings & snatches on training & variety days? I've always been intrigued by the Gada from watching Indian wrestlers on the Akhara and really wanted to find a good spot to include them into my practice.

Best,

Jason

I have allot of success preping for bent press and push press with Indian club swings. I follow the FMS club swing essentials template

I guess it would depend on how heavy your gada is or the volume with which you're swinging it before your ROP practice.

I love swinging my gada as a warm-up, makes my shoulders/upper back/core feel amazing.

I think as long as you use it as a warm up and the size of the Gada is comfortably with in your abilities you should be ok.

What weight do you believe would be something to start off with? Not knowing too much about the weight and how it's distributed I don't want to get something that may cause more harm. I was even looking into putting my own Gada together, but I'm skeptical since the weight may be too much since I'm in no way a pro at using the Gada.

Best,
Jason

What weight do you believe would be something to start off with? Not knowing too much about the weight and how it's distributed I don't want to get something that may cause more harm. I was even looking into putting my own Gada together, but I'm skeptical since the weight may be too much since I'm in no way a pro at using the Gada.

Best,
Jason

Very smart! It definitely takes a little bit to get use to the way the weight is distributed. I made my first one by screwing together some black iron pipe - it was more of a club than a mace, but it was good for a start.

From there, I purchased a 15lb mace from ONNIT, which I used for a couple of months. (I don't recommend their maces, as they are too short)

Then I graduated to a 10kg and a 12kg mace from Wolf Brigade. Wolf Brigade Mace

The wolf brigade maces are awesome, and worth every penny paid.

Also - I wanted to share my Mace Warm Up circuit that I have been using for about a year now. I use this almost daily, even when not training as it makes my joints feel good.

360's 10 Left + 10 Right
Barbarian Squats x 10
Static Squat with Mace Extended :30
Repeat 2-3 times as needed

Including a video of the Barbarian Squat for reference:

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom