Get a little dicey with your kettlebell press ;-)

Discussion in 'Kettlebell' started by Gary Music, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Gary Music

Gary Music Triple-Digit Post Count Team Leader Certified Instructor

NoahMarek, fractal and SuperGirevik like this.
  2. Gary Music

It is easy to progress this. You can do things like add a one or two to all shakes. So for instance for the first 2 weeks simply rep the dice number, week 3 add one to all dice rolls, week four add 2 to all dice rolls.

Another way first two weeks rep to the number of sets you rolled on your set roll. Then week 3 add one set to the dice number, week 4 add two sets.

Moving up the weights when ready is another way to progress. When I want to go to the next heavier bells I will move both bells up if able if not move up the heavy and leave the light bell same weight.

Use good judgement and if you are not proficient with kettlebells this would not be the pressing program for you.

3. SuperGirevik

SuperGirevik Triple-Digit Post Count

This reminds me of when I first started with ETK. Some days those dice rolls were just plain cruel...

4. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Strong, Powerful Member of the Forum Certified Instructor

first roll is for the bell weight 1-3 light 4-6 heavy

second roll is for sets

third is for reps

did I get that right??

5. Gary Music

You are right except when you roll for reps that will tell you which set of bells to use. So roll first to get the number of sets for the day. Then roll for your first set, if you roll a 1,2,3 then you are using the heavy bells, if you roll a 4,5,6 you use the light bells. You can also use 3 sets of bells light = 1 or 2 medium = 3 or 4 and heavy = 5 or 6

6. Gary Music

We do this in our kettlebell class regularly in one form or another. If it is summer and class is small we have lots of extra bells so we do light medium and heavy pairs. Fall we start to get a bigger class so we go to light and medium and when class gets huge in the winter we go to singles. Keeps us changing up and fresh.

7. Mark Limbaga

And you keep the reps no higher than 3?

Gary Music likes this.
  8. SuperGirevik

SuperGirevik Triple-Digit Post Count

Gary, wouldn't it be: heavy = 1 or 2 medium = 3 or 4 and light = 5 or 6? I thought higher reps would use the lighter bells and lower reps would use the heavier bells (to balance the volume).

Mark, if I understand correctly, 6 is the max reps. Basically when you roll for reps, the amount of reps would dictate the bell size. So rolling 1-3 (low reps) = heavier bell and 4-6 (high reps) = lighter bell.

Gary Music likes this.
  9. Gary Music

Yes it is the way you are thinking. If two sets heavy 123 light 456 three sets of bells 1,2 heavy 3,4 medium 5,6 light thank you

SuperGirevik likes this.
  10. Gary Music

Heavy can be 1,2, or 3 and light 4,5 or 6 reps So that many reps of double press plus matching sea saw reps and x 2 of the dice value for the swings.

11. Mark Limbaga

recommended frequency is 3-4x a week?

12. Gary Music

2-5 depends on the person and goals. I do it twice per week sometimes 3 plus variety days

13. Mark Limbaga

Person, goals and the dice rolls yea??