all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Getting big on Bodyweight

but isn't to generate lots of tension for a certain muscle group that muscle group should have a good leverage in that activity? Think about a 50 kg female powerlifter with a 150 kg squat, she pushes her knees far forwards to use her quads.

As far as i know, 90% of your 1RM at your most powerful ROM and 90% of the 1RM you're capable of in your weakest ROM register the same to your muscles.

but isn't to generate lots of tension for a certain muscle group that muscle group should have a good leverage in that activity? Think about a 50 kg female powerlifter with a 150 kg squat, she pushes her knees far forwards to use her quads.
Considering the deltoids: Is it easier to lift a 15lb weight by military pressing it or by doing a a strict lateral raise?

A planche push-up is harder because the shoulders have less leverage, not more. Same with front levers.

Having better leverage means it is easier to lift something.

This is why most lifts have you line the weight up as close to your center of gravity as possible. Or at least you line the weight up directly above/under a joint (as in a bench press or push up). As the weight moves away from your body, the lever arm gets longer and your joints see more torque. This means the muscles that act on those joints have to work harder.

I don't think so.
1RM is depended on how you leverage yourself.
What I mean is, your body adapts to the 1RM you're capable of from your strongest position the same way it adapts to the 1RM you're capable of from your weakest position. Two different loads being moved, but your body can't tell the difference.

Considering the deltoids: Is it easier to lift a 15lb weight by military pressing it or by doing a a strict lateral raise?

A planche push-up is harder because the shoulders have less leverage, not more. Same with front levers.

Having better leverage means it is easier to lift something.

This is why most lifts have you line the weight up as close to your center of gravity as possible. Or at least you line the weight up directly above/under a joint (as in a bench press or push up). As the weight moves away from your body, the lever arm gets longer and your joints see more torque. This means the muscles that act on those joints have to work harder.
In the lateral raise, the distance from the weight to the join is long so it creates a large torches.
But the delt is still a main mover.

Consider the unintentional rounded back good morning. It's much harder to finish the lift. But it doesn't mean the glutes fire harder to finish. It means the glutes don't have a good leverage to create enough tension to lift the weight.

I actually start to think many calisthenics movement is like good morning. The main mover in the good morning is still the glutes, but nearly no one do that for glutes hypertrophy. The stability requirement is too hard. Same with planche or front lever.

In the lateral raise, the distance from the weight to the join is long so it creates a large torches.
But the delt is still a main mover.
Yes. My point was that the delt has to work harder in a lateral raise because of the increased torque. The point about calisthenics being that by decreasing leverage, you make the move harder, which makes you stronger and increases demands on the relevant muscles. Tension is tension.

I am not sure I am understanding your points about good mornings though…

Back
Top Bottom