all posts post new thread

GHFL by Geoff Neupert

Week 3 is done!

I am really enjoying this program. Programs that have a single lift are interesting. I find the repetition of the lift during a session to almost be a meditative experience. (Hard to describe)

Also, the repetition has helped me dial in my form with the DCJs. The duck part of the lift has become deeper and more powerful.

I am running the advanced program with double clean & jerks using 2x24k bells. At the end of the session I have been patterning 2x32k cleans. I did 4x1.

Week 4 is no more!

I am really enjoying the single lift. I find that for the DCJ, I have to concentrate on the cues "Dip" & "Duck". If I don't think those words during the lift, the lift becomes an ugly double dip push press.

I am running the advanced program with double clean & jerks using 2x24k bells. At the end of the session I have been patterning 2x32k cleans. I did 4x1.

Bring on Week 5!!

Are you guys doing long cycle, or one clean and multiple jerks? 10-15 long cycle in 30 seconds seems like a really quick pace. 8-9 reps in 30 seconds seems like the best I can do.

I am doing long cycle.

The way I read the 10-15 explosive reps recommendation (in the FAQ section) is defining what a medium bell is for the various lifts. The other mention of 10-15 reps was for snatches and thrusters.

I am averaging 7 lifts in 30 seconds. If I tried to increase the tempo to anything over 8 lifts, my form would be a mess.

I am currently deciding how I am going to approach the second half of the program. I am either going to stay at the same bells (2x24k) and try for an average of 8 reps. Or I might go up to a pair of 28s. Not sure what to do right now.

@Bonehead74
It just occurred to me that during the last Phase of KB ICT I was doing a full minute of Double Jerks (No clean) with 20k bells. The most reps I ever got was 18 reps. Granted the DJs were during the 2nd 15 minute block...but I doubt I would have gotten more than 20 reps in a minute completely fresh.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I've been running Strong! for C+P and DFSQ for little over a year now, starting with 24's and now at 28's. I've made great strength gains and while I definitely wouldn't call myself 'fat', I need a break and looking to trim off that extra layer over the lean mass I've put on.

Just started this up today, I got the novice and advanced version because I wanted more variety when doing this. Started today with Swings for 24kg, this was challenging but fun! I haven't done swings in forever.

I'm thinking of splitting it up this way:
Mon-C+PP
Wed-Swings
Fri-Thrusters

This hits all the bases while giving certain areas of the body more of a rest.

PP and Thrusters will be done with double 20kg, if my current strength training working weight are double 28's right now for C+P and DFSQ this should be doable.

Week 5 is done.

This week I used the cues "Dip" and "Drop" during my DCJ. I had been using the cue "Duck". Geoff posted here that he uses the cue "Drop" for DCJ.

"Drop" is a better cue. I can't explain why it is better. Perhaps it's more active vs. the more passive "Duck." I found myself having more powerful lifts this week. I felt like the "Dip" portion of the lift went a little deeper. The following "Drop" felt less rushed and more powerful as I finished the lift. (Again really hard to explain.) The lifts felt better this week.

The DCJ is a relatively new lift for me. I began patterning it last Spring and I really struggled with the coordination of the movements of the lift. I find that I still have to concentrate on the cues during the set. If I lose my focus, the set is a mess. The little tweaks of the lift are very helpful for me. Thanks Geoff!

I am running the advanced program with double clean & jerks using 2x24k bells. At the end of the session I have been patterning 2x32k cleans. I did 4x2.

Bring on Week 6!!

Back
Top Bottom