all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

If we are talking about a need to switch to singles due to fatigue/RPE; I think if you do reasonable jumps while running the program in it’s entirety, it’s manageable/static RPE and there’s no need to switch to singles. I am actually beating my PRs from 2x60# with 2x30kg.

It also depends upon the definition of heavy. Maybe this changes when I hit a heavier weight, as eventually there will be a ceiling in potential.

Just finished 1.2. I am very pleased with the results in my strength and physique after running the giant all the way through. This was my first real kettlebell program I have completed. Initially I did 2 rounds of 3.0 to bring my 20's up to a 10RM, upping the reps a little on the second run through.

Just finished 1.2 and here are my reps. I followed the format suggested in here of;

Wk1: 20 mins (103 reps)
Wk2: 25 mins (116 reps)
Wk3: 30 mins (135 reps)
Wk4: 25 mins (130 reps)

Took my 10rm to a 15rm using this program!

Thank you @Geoff Neupert for the great program. I have maximorium which I am keen to give a run through after a break. I think I will do a month of something in between like some calisthenics and some light snatches.

Last edited:
Hey all,

Reporting back in with my results following 1.1. This seems to really be ticking all the boxes for me (other than my desire to go lift barbells sometimes). Really happy with the results so far with an increase in strength and improved body composition at a fairly low recovery cost. The weights are going up easier and easier. I really didn't think I could do the straight sets of the higher reps for 1.1 when I started. However, when it came time, I knocked them out. My weight has stayed relatively the same, varying within a 5 lb. range over the past few months and I've noticed an increase in size in my shoulders, arms, thighs, and even my calves. Based on this I'm fairly certain my body fat percentage has gone down as muscle mass has increased. No official data on that however. Also I have noticed a sharp increase in my endurance as well when I am doing my aerobic workouts on the off days. This I have attributed to the Giant sessions because I have actually cut back on the volume of cardio training I was doing the past few months.

To follow this, I have actually decided to run Giant 2.0 instead of 1.2. I was curious to see how my body would handle the ladders instead of straight sets and thought a slightly different stimulus might be good. I have been trying this for a week now and it's interesting to see how much more volume I am able to squeeze into a session this way. Once I wrap up 2.0 I plan to switch things up for a bit and do an 8 week run-through of Built Strong Minimalist. However, I know I will be keeping some form of the Giant in rotation. It's been too successful for me to not come back to it.

Also for reference here is a chart of the total work performed per session measured in total kg's moved. This timeframe covers Giant 1.0 -> 1.1 and the first week of 2.0. As you can see I doubled the amount of work being done per session.
1686948831923.png

Hey all,

Reporting back in with my results following 1.1. This seems to really be ticking all the boxes for me (other than my desire to go lift barbells sometimes). Really happy with the results so far with an increase in strength and improved body composition at a fairly low recovery cost. The weights are going up easier and easier. I really didn't think I could do the straight sets of the higher reps for 1.1 when I started. However, when it came time, I knocked them out. My weight has stayed relatively the same, varying within a 5 lb. range over the past few months and I've noticed an increase in size in my shoulders, arms, thighs, and even my calves. Based on this I'm fairly certain my body fat percentage has gone down as muscle mass has increased. No official data on that however. Also I have noticed a sharp increase in my endurance as well when I am doing my aerobic workouts on the off days. This I have attributed to the Giant sessions because I have actually cut back on the volume of cardio training I was doing the past few months.

To follow this, I have actually decided to run Giant 2.0 instead of 1.2. I was curious to see how my body would handle the ladders instead of straight sets and thought a slightly different stimulus might be good. I have been trying this for a week now and it's interesting to see how much more volume I am able to squeeze into a session this way. Once I wrap up 2.0 I plan to switch things up for a bit and do an 8 week run-through of Built Strong Minimalist. However, I know I will be keeping some form of the Giant in rotation. It's been too successful for me to not come back to it.

Also for reference here is a chart of the total work performed per session measured in total kg's moved. This timeframe covers Giant 1.0 -> 1.1 and the first week of 2.0. As you can see I doubled the amount of work being done per session.
View attachment 21729
How did you log your workouts?

Hey all,

View attachment 21729

Thanks for your report!! I am interested in hearing about your progress with 2.0.

How did you log your workouts?
I utilize excel for workout tracking. I used to write things down in journals or on my notes app in my phone, but I found it hard to be consistent with those methods. I like excel because you can fit a lot of information in there quite easily which can then be analyzed using charts like above. I added a sample below of the columns that I use and one row of sample data. I like to use the column labeled "Planned Sets..." to project out my plan for weeks/months into the future. Then once a session is completed I add the actual reps and work performed in the column labeled "actual completed..."

However, the great thing about it is that this is infinitely customizable to include whatever information the individual deems important. I hope this provides some ideas. Maybe other folks have a better way of doing this.

MesocycleProgramDurationProgram WeekDateDayPlanned sets, reps, time, etc.Completed (Y/N)Actual completed workout notesTotal repsWeights used (kg)Total Weight moved (kg)
Power/Strength DevelopmentGiant 1.04 Weeks33-Apr-23MondayGiant 1.0: sets of XY20 minutes, X sets of X, still sick (20 and 16 kg)
30​
36​
1080​

Thanks for your report!! I am interested in hearing about your progress with 2.0.
No problem, I am constantly inspired by yours and others' posts here so I feel like I owe it to post my progress as well.

Great run @Ben Strong !!! Especially impressive increasing tonnage while increasing reps. 2.0 is a favorite, something about the ladders makes it more fun.
Thanks Hrungnir! I appreciate the kind words. I was impressed when I started calculating it. It certainly never felt like I was increasing the workload that much. Props to Geoff's programming.

I agree regarding 2.0, I have been enjoying the extra challenge of completing the ladders. It's a nice mental change up from the straight sets.

Anyone here run the GIANT with Clean and Jerks? I am thinking of doing that next.
I just started 3.0 with DLCCJ. I have an interesting observation:
Last week I did 5 sets of DLCCJ with the 32s. I did sets of x5, 2, 2, 3, 5 for 17 total reps. I was doing this with the ambition of getting to 5x5 with the 32's. I was thinking I could progess one rep a week until I was at 5x5. This was a stupid idea. 5 CJ reps with double 32's really smoked me.

Today I started The Giant 3.0. With reps of 2 I got to 20 total reps and I am not smoked at all, though I did get a nice feeling. It's such a beastly exercise and it feels so good to throw that weight around. The Giant seems well suited for the exercise because the reps are programmed to push you "just right."

Last week I did 5 sets of DLCCJ with the 32s. I did sets of x5, 2, 2, 3, 5 for 17 total reps. I was doing this with the ambition of getting to 5x5 with the 32's. I was thinking I could progess one rep a week until I was at 5x5. This was a stupid idea. 5 CJ reps with double 32's really smoked me.

Today I started The Giant 3.0. With reps of 2 I got to 20 total reps and I am not smoked at all, though I did get a nice feeling. It's such a beastly exercise and it feels so good to throw that weight around. The Giant seems well suited for the exercise because the reps are programmed to push you "just right."
Funny you call it “beastly”. I found the same when I first starting practicing them. They’re somehow fun yet punishing… I can see why a fighter or soldier (remember Pavel said this of the Russian Troops with the 2x24kgs) would use them!

Funny you call it “beastly”. I found the same when I first starting practicing them. They’re somehow fun yet punishing… I can see why a fighter or soldier (remember Pavel said this of the Russian Troops with the 2x24kgs) would use them!
It’s the best description of them. Especially when they are heavy.

Double 32 LCCJs are already a different ballgame..

Going 3.0 would definitely be a wise idea and then see where you land once done :)

Question: How does everyone manage “getting more reps each time”? Could you do that over a week and just increase the training period? It seems like a bad idea to try and push for more reps every session. Especially with 3.0.

Question: How does everyone manage “getting more reps each time”? Could you do that over a week and just increase the training period? It seems like a bad idea to try and push for more reps every session. Especially with 3.0.
I look at that from week to week, not session to session. For example, I’m running 1.0 right now. I need more rest on day two than on day one, because of the higher reps per set. So comparing the two days’ volume is not helpful for me.

And I change the amount of time week to week. Week 1 is 20 minutes, week 2 is 25, week 3 is 30, and week 4 will drop back to 25. Obviously the goal is to have more reps in week 4 than week 2. But meanwhile, I try to increase reps/minute from week to week.

I look at that from week to week, not session to session. For example, I’m running 1.0 right now. I need more rest on day two than on day one, because of the higher reps per set. So comparing the two days’ volume is not helpful for me.

And I change the amount of time week to week. Week 1 is 20 minutes, week 2 is 25, week 3 is 30, and week 4 will drop back to 25. Obviously the goal is to have more reps in week 4 than week 2. But meanwhile, I try to increase reps/minute from week to week.
That makes sense.

I can second that, I also only compare week to week. I have been roughly trying to hit certain rest intervals while still following the autoregulation signs. Each week I try to compress those intervals a little bit.

As far as session to session I usually try to keep the same number of sets for each week period. That way I am emphasizing the effect of having the heavy, medium, and light days. So that way I have more reps on a heavy day, and the fewest of a light day (ideally for me). But to each their own.

Back
Top Bottom