all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

So Giant 3.0 it seems it will be.
I just finished up a cycle of 3.0 with ~7RM and had great results, so definitely think 3.0 would be a great fit for where you’re at.

Before 3.0:
- 2x28kg for a solid 7, plus a shaky 8th rep.
- 2x32kg for 1 HARD rep.

After 3.0:
- 2x32kg for a solid (but hard) 4RM
- 2x28kg for a solid 10 reps after a 5min rest

Probably could have gotten more with the 2x28s if I had pushed, but my main goal was the 2x32, so I cut it short. I’ll be moving on to STRONG! with 2x32kg starting tomorrow.

In hindsight, using ~7RM for 3.0 worked out great as it allowed me to really push total volume while honing in on my technique, with a specific focus on 2-3 cues from STRONG! on each and every rep.

Just my n=1 experience, but hopefully it helps you out.

I just finished up a cycle of 3.0 with ~7RM and had great results, so definitely think 3.0 would be a great fit for where you’re at.

Before 3.0:
- 2x28kg for a solid 7, plus a shaky 8th rep.
- 2x32kg for 1 HARD rep.

After 3.0:
- 2x32kg for a solid (but hard) 4RM
- 2x28kg for a solid 10 reps after a 5min rest

Probably could have gotten more with the 2x28s if I had pushed, but my main goal was the 2x32, so I cut it short. I’ll be moving on to STRONG! with 2x32kg starting tomorrow.

In hindsight, using ~7RM for 3.0 worked out great as it allowed me to really push total volume while honing in on my technique, with a specific focus on 2-3 cues from STRONG! on each and every rep.

Just my n=1 experience, but hopefully it helps you out.
Thank you for posting, yes you have confirmed my thoughts after rereading Giant and rereading some of this thread. I have to remind myself there's no rush and slow and steady is best.

Just finished Giant 1.0 with the 16kg. I enjoyed it, and I saw real gains in my press, and in my arms and shoulders.

I'm hoping to to 1.1 later, but don't feel ready for sets of eight yet.

In the meantime, I'm going back to a more general routine, including DFS, barbell DL, Swings, pushups, pullups, in addition to pressing.

After a few days my legs are really feeling the effects of no direct work in the last month. I'm curious what others experience is, particularly if you do Giant 1.0 and 1.1 back to back. Is it just a matter of a few days of DOMS, or did your other lifts take a step back?

Here's another question:

Looking ahead to when I am done with my current Giant cycle, I'm considering going up in weight and starting 3.0, per the original document: 3.0>1.0>1.1>1.2 (with a 2.0 thrown in there somewhere)

But I am wondering, Dry Fighting Weight is a 5RM, 30 minutes, lots of clean and presses. Could I replace 3.0 with DFW, then go into 1.0 etc. etc? This way I get a good squat cycle in but still get a lot of CP reps.

Thoughts?

Here's another question:

Looking ahead to when I am done with my current Giant cycle, I'm considering going up in weight and starting 3.0, per the original document: 3.0>1.0>1.1>1.2 (with a 2.0 thrown in there somewhere)

But I am wondering, Dry Fighting Weight is a 5RM, 30 minutes, lots of clean and presses. Could I replace 3.0 with DFW, then go into 1.0 etc. etc? This way I get a good squat cycle in but still get a lot of CP reps.

Thoughts?

That’s what I did on my first run. It wasn’t intentionally thought out, I was just loving DFW so much I bought giant and transitioned. Worked really well for me.

Just finished Giant 1.0 with the 16kg. I enjoyed it, and I saw real gains in my press, and in my arms and shoulders.

I'm hoping to to 1.1 later, but don't feel ready for sets of eight yet.

In the meantime, I'm going back to a more general routine, including DFS, barbell DL, Swings, pushups, pullups, in addition to pressing.

After a few days my legs are really feeling the effects of no direct work in the last month. I'm curious what others experience is, particularly if you do Giant 1.0 and 1.1 back to back. Is it just a matter of a few days of DOMS, or did your other lifts take a step back?
I have started doing a cycle of Giant 1.x, then 2 week block 2H Swings, then back to Giant 1.x+1, etc.

i'm only finishing up 1.1 now, so i don't have a lot of data, but i really liked a short block of swings - particularly 2H where you can really hit the ballistics hard.

What kind of bell-size increase do folks normally shoot for, after completing 1.2 w/a single?

I'm asking because I'll be finishing up with my 12Kg and will move to 16, but i just cannot imagine jumping more than 4kg in the military press.

What kind of bell-size increase do folks normally shoot for, after completing 1.2 w/a single?

I'm asking because I'll be finishing up with my 12Kg and will move to 16, but i just cannot imagine jumping more than 4kg in the military press.
The best advice is to perform a test at the end of your cycle. Take a few days or a week off and, after your standard warm up and a few easy sets of the 12kg, see how many reps you can do with the 16kg. Let that guide your choice for your next program

@TedM if you aren't at the 10RM with the 16kg, or wanted a wider "menu" of program options, this is a great thread to look at: Kettlebell - KB Pressing Plans Based on Different RM

There's also some good info, IIRC in this thread, about how to alter the Giant's rep scheme to fit different RMs
Thank you very much!
I'm starting a 2week block of just swings and then I'll move to 1.2 and see where things are at the end.
I appreciated your prior advice for testing the 16kg. I've marked that for 6 weeks from now.

Thank you very much!
I'm starting a 2week block of just swings and then I'll move to 1.2 and see where things are at the end.
I appreciated your prior advice for testing the 16kg. I've marked that for 6 weeks from now.
Good choice, you have to know where you are to work out what road you should take

What I'd do if you're apprehensive

Test your single 16 clean and push press max... You can always eventually return to the strict press especially if you get an 8-10 rm with it just focus on an active negative to the rack vs the ballistic catch

Here's another question:

Thoughts?
You can but manage your expectations on the volume you'll be putting out as the squats will make you more fatigued overall..

Why not go 3.0-DFW then retest your RM after??

You can but manage your expectations on the volume you'll be putting out as the squats will make you more fatigued overall..

Why not go 3.0-DFW then retest your RM after??
Yes, that's not a bad idea, though I do like the idea of doing fewer clean and press as a sort of a de-load for that movement.

Back
Top Bottom