all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

Oh my. Well,.I'm glad I'd not understood that. I am pretty sure my elbows wouldn't like that. And I was pleased with my progress while wallowing in my ignorance.
Both are definitely worthwhile.
As is avoiding inflammation or injury.
In ROP, one of the three days is MP and two C&P. So a mixture can also work.

Hi all, new(bie) member here!

Short background:
38 years old, limited weight lifting experience but been on and off kettlebells for a few years (mostly off) - but got going again a few months ago.

Tried to find a simple (not easy) program and ended purchasing The Giant. Love the program and love C&P. Its been the only program I have been able to follow 100%, ever!

I have run Giant 1.0 x 3 times. Started with double 16kgs with a 8-rep max. Now I am currently at 18 rep max with the 16s..

Now I am currently in the midst of trying to decide if I should buy new bells (20 or 24?) vs trying a new program.

I want to incorporate two days of running per week , I miss trail running.

So the questions are:
1. What would the best bells be for me now, double 20 or double 24?
2. Is The Giant suitable for someone who wants to run on the off days or should I look for something else? '

Thanks!

Short background:
38 years old, limited weight lifting experience but been on and off kettlebells for a few years (mostly off) - but got going again a few months ago.

Tried to find a simple (not easy) program and ended purchasing The Giant. Love the program and love C&P. Its been the only program I have been able to follow 100%, ever!

I have run Giant 1.0 x 3 times. Started with double 16kgs with a 8-rep max. Now I am currently at 18 rep max with the 16s..

Now I am currently in the midst of trying to decide if I should buy new bells (20 or 24?) vs trying a new program.

So the questions are:
2. Is The Giant suitable for someone who wants to run on the off days or should I look for something else? '

Thanks!
1. Do you have access to double 20s and double 24s to test your maxes with those? If so, whichever is closest to your 10rm is probably your best option. *EDIT: Alternatively, you could run The Giant 1.1 and 1.2 if you haven't already. High reps get...fun!!

2. Definitely. Obviously with The Giant being C&P, your legs should easily be fresh for running on opposite days. Sure there's some leg work in the C&P, but not like there is in a squat heavy program.

1. Do you have access to double 20s and double 24s to test your maxes with those? If so, whichever is closest to your 10rm is probably your best option. *EDIT: Alternatively, you could run The Giant 1.1 and 1.2 if you haven't already. High reps get...fun!!

2. Definitely. Obviously with The Giant being C&P, your legs should easily be fresh for running on opposite days. Sure there's some leg work in the C&P, but not like there is in a squat heavy program.
No, unfortunately not. I don't have easy access to bells in my area, and any purchase will have to be ordered online.

I have thought about doing the 1.1 or 1.2, as you suggested. Still, if I'm not mistaken, they should also align with my 10-rep max. I do feel I have outgrown the 16s for C&P, but for other exercises, they are probably still very useful.

I could go the easy route and buy 20s, feeling fairly safe. Just worried I will outgrow them too fast to justify the purchase; hence why I'm also thinking about the 24s.

Short background:

So the questions are:

Without seeing you lift and without knowing more about you, we have to "read between the lines" a bit. Based on your post, I'd recommend a pair of 20's next. The jump from 16 to 24 is a 50% increase, certainly possible if you see the 32's in your future but it can be a lot for some people. Better to take the convervative choice here, IMO.

That said, the _first_ thing I'd do is get some 1-on-1 instruction. It could be there are technique issues that, when solved, might drastically increase your strength and make the 16's all of a sudden feel quite light, in which case a pair of 24's might be in order.

-S-

No, unfortunately not. I don't have easy access to bells in my area, and any purchase will have to be ordered online.

I have thought about doing the 1.1 or 1.2, as you suggested. Still, if I'm not mistaken, they should also align with my 10-rep max. I do feel I have outgrown the 16s for C&P, but for other exercises, they are probably still very useful.

I could go the easy route and buy 20s, feeling fairly safe. Just worried I will outgrow them too fast to justify the purchase; hence why I'm also thinking about the 24s.
Any chance you could visit a gym and do a trial session as a one off?

1.1 & 1.2 align with your INITIAL 10RM from 1.0, so if you run 1.0 - 1.2 consecutively then you'd just stick with the same bells.

A good step in the mean time would be video yourself doing a set with the 16kgs and post a link to it on here, plenty of helpful people who can point out any glaring issues with technique, and if there isn't any, maybe consider the 24s? You would likely need to run Giant 3.0 with them before getting into 1.0 etc

Personally if my technique was good I'd go the 24s in your shoes. Only if.

Thank you all!

My technique is definitely not perfect – so yeah, I should probably focus on perfecting it before progressing to heavier weights.

But, after giving it some thought, I think I will follow @lais817's advice and give The Giant 1.1 and 1.2 a go with my 16s.

And when the time comes, I will go for the 20s.

Last edited:

Short background:

So the questions are:

Thanks!
I'd go for double 24s. At 18RM you should be able to get 3 or 4 reps. Enough to run Giant 3 and a veritable shock to the system.
Plus you could likely get a good few more reps with a single 24. Maybe 8 to 10. Therefore uou could do a bit of singles work, have some novel stimulus and work bridging the gap.

If you get 20’s, they’ll always come in handy. But 24’s should be fine if you can do 16 reps with 16.Giant 3.0 is great for low reps woth heavy bells

Either way will have benefits I think

C&P is the Swiss Army knife of KB’s I think. Ballistic and a grind together. Golden

Thank you all!

My technique is definitely not perfect – so yeah, I should probably focus on perfecting it before progressing to heavier weights.

But, after giving it some thought, I think I will follow @lais817's advice and give The Giant 1.1 and 1.2 a go with my 16s.

And when the time comes, I will go for the 20s.

If any kind souls want to check my form, I have tried to attach a video of todays workout.

Bear in mind I'm not an instructor, but I can't see anything excruciatingly bad in your video. Go the 24s

Haha, okay, thanks, guys!

I will probably get the 24s. Actually found a store not too far away that has one cast iron bell on hand, so I might go there today to get a feel for it. Probably a different experience from my competition 16s, but will at least get the chance to check out the weight.

I do feel I have outgrown the 16s for the C&P, and if you think my form is OK, I am ready for heavier bells. But there are definitely other exercises where the 16s will come in handy.

ASKING FOR HELP PROGRAMING THE PROGRAM.

I have run cycles of GIANT, GIANTX, and STRONG with good results. My goal is to run these for a year.
My issue is after my strength has peaked at the end of the cycle I usually need 2 or 3 weeks to recover. I want to avoid this. I like running 30 minute cycles.

Thank you in advance,
Harry
What do you mean your strength has peaked? This sounds like a recovery issue.

Also do you track your weights and sets weeks 1-4? Could you share, and which Giant number? Eg Giant 1.0 30 min W1D1 10 sets with double 32s (9RM)

Hey guys. Have around 25lbs to lose in 4 months prior to a trip to Hawaii. Should I:

Keep doing single bell giant (moving to double when I can) for 3 months and add zone 2 3 days a week in between giant days (not into hiit) and do 1 month of kettlebell burn the last month

3 months of giant and then a month of 10k swing kettlebell challenge

Keep on the giant for 4 months but compress rest times? Currently I wait until I’m in zone 2 before doing another set.

I really enjoy kb c&p and running is my preferred form of cardio (getting back into it so my zone 2 is more of a jog)

Thanks for any help. Diet is now squared away and not having issues with that side. I am leaning towards giant with zone 2 runs right now. I am new to lifting and rehabbing my shoulders so I went from giant with lightweight double 20 (pounds, doc said I won’t be able to lift overhead anymore ) after 2 months of rehab, to a single 16kg (still free of shoulder pain), so I know I’m not burning nearly as many calories as doubles. I probably can’t go to doubles until 2 more months of giant. I do want to stick to lifting as I don’t want to lose weight and stay soft.

I just really like giant and it’s the first program I’ve stick to longer than a month, so I’d like to fit aerobic work around it. It’s so good.

Last edited:
Ok, so after the past year doing virtually no kettlebell training due to multitudes of reasons I returned today. I basically had been doing a hit style program with Nautilus type machines. I'm not looking for a discussion about hit but I will say it for the most part worked.

I'm just tired of going to the gym and dealing with people who have no gym etiquette and fighting the crowds. It worked fir me when I needed it but I need something simpler......this is one of the reasons I tried kettlebell training years back.

I read Geoff's email about Tommy Kono's thoughts on "simple" programming using one basic movement for a half hour and it hit me again. I need "simple and effective" and for me that was/is "The Giant". The Clean + Press is the Glock 19 of kettlebell movements if programmed properly and The Giant delivers!

I tested myself with my previous "easy" 10 RM and got a "tough" 5! I've never actually done the 3.0 but started it today.

Felt refreshed after the workout, not knocked out.

Gonna try to ride this all the way through the 3 series, the 2.0 and then the 1 series.

Good to be back!

I haven't been inside a gym in years; I hate them. I learned to lift with the football team in high school. You worked together, helping to change the weights and resting while the other guy(s) lifted. Whenever I would ask to work in at the gym, I'd get, "No, I only have 14 more sets."

I'm currently on Giant 3.0 as well. I have been working my way back since early last year, up from no pressing ability at all. I'll admit that I did take a detour to run KSK 1.0 for 9 weeks when I felt like I was burned out from pressing.

I'm doing 24kg with a single KB while I work on my shoulder mobility. I really wanted to start the Maximorum with the new year, but my ROM is not there yet. I have to say that Giant 3.0 is kicking my butt and really making me want to sleep and recover. Week 1 was ok, but I started feeling my sessions with week 2.

Back
Top Bottom