all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

I haven't been inside a gym in years; I hate them. I learned to lift with the football team in high school. You worked together, helping to change the weights and resting while the other guy(s) lifted. Whenever I would ask to work in at the gym, I'd get, "No, I only have 14 more sets."
This annoyed me to no end!! Or the folks who talk and text on their cell phones and take up a machine or smith bar claiming they're working out.

That's what I meant by etiquette....I always offered to let people work in with me.....oh well!

This annoyed me to no end!! Or the folks who talk and text on their cell phones and take up a machine or smith bar claiming they're working out.

That's what I meant by etiquette....I always offered to let people work in with me.....oh well!
I am in 100% agreement about gyms.I joined one a couple of years ago after training alone with kettlebells for several years.I could not stand it either. Like the waiting around to use the equipment and just the time spent traveling to the gym.
I also like the clean and press workouts the most.So much ,I don't like doing anything else !It really does seem like the Glock 19 of exercises! I really like the efficiency of the Giant and Strong Programs.Biggest bang for the buck in time invested
!

Recovery day. For what it's worth, I have some not unexpected doms going on. For those who think you miss out on so many things focusing on a clean and press program, the outside of my thighs, my butt and hamstrings, traps and biceps are a bit sore today. I have been working with other modalities so this kind of surprised me! I'm feeling it all over.

Long time listener first time caller.

I'm one week into 1.0 after running 3.0 with double 16kg. Started with a *very* wobbly 5RM using the double 16s. Retested the other day and easily banged out 10, with probably 3 in reserve? Huge fan of this program so far.

My question is this: I decided to spring for adjustable comp bells, which will arrive in the next week or two. How would you go about taking advantage of the ability to micro-load in the context of the Giant?

Should I run an entire 12-week block (1.0-1.2) using the same weight, and re-establish a new 10RM after that? Would there be value to simply adding 1kg every two weeks or so? Curious if anybody is using adjustable bells with this program and tweaking weight more often than a whole Giant cycle.

Peace!

I'm one week into 1.0 after running 3.0 with double 16kg. Started with a *very* wobbly 5RM using the double 16s. Retested the other day and easily banged out 10, with probably 3 in reserve? Huge fan of this program so far.

My question is this: I decided to spring for adjustable comp bells, which will arrive in the next week or two. How would you go about taking advantage of the ability to micro-load in the context of the Giant?

Should I run an entire 12-week block (1.0-1.2) using the same weight, and re-establish a new 10RM after that? Would there be value to simply adding 1kg every two weeks or so? Curious if anybody is using adjustable bells with this program and tweaking weight more often than a whole Giant cycle.

Peace!
Do the whole thing with one weight combo.

Just my opinion as someone whos experienced in "the Giant"....Start with a 10 RM and in three months (1.0, 1.1, 1.2) it'll be ridiculously light and your body and conditioning will show it! Reestablish a new 10 RM after you finish the 3 months.

Peace!
I have adjustable bells as well. I would suggest doing the program as written. The benefit of the adjustable bell will come at the end of the first 12 week cycle where you can "fine tune" your 10RM for the next cycle.

For example, you run 16kg for the 12 weeks, and then go to test to determine your next weight. With "standard" bells, you'd be "stuck" testing at 20kg - which might be a 5RM, meaning you need to do 3.0 (not a bad thing). With adjustable comp bells, you can find the next perfect 10RM weight. Mine are adjustable in 0.5kg increments. That would just require a few days of testing based on how you're doing. For instance, maybe you take a day and test with 18kg and get 12 reps. Ok, cool, you could totally use that and do great ... or you could rest a day, and retest at, say, 19kg. Now you get 10 reps. Perfect. Next 12 weeks you repeat Giant series with 19kg.

Obviously this is an example and your results may vary. But hopefully you get the point. You can find tune the weight you are using for your 5RM or 10RM and aren't "stuck" at the standard weights - or whatever sized bells you happen to have.

What does one do if their bells are 8kg jumps, how do you get to the next bell? I mean besides buying in between bells.

I’m not running Giant so I dont have specifics, but lets take your scenario, that works for me.
Honestly there’s a lot of variables, right? Say you finish the 12 week giant cycle using a 24kg, and you took your 10RM and made it a 15RM, but your next bell is 32kg.

First step is to test with 32kg. Can you get any reps? 1? 3? And then go from there. Obviously if you don’t get 5 it’ll be very hard to run 3.0, and likely if you get less than 4 I’d probably suggest something totally different.

If you get 4, I’d probably suggest alternating singles days and doubles days and build volume - eg 10+ sets. When you can hit 10 sets of doubles, I’d start introducing a day of triples. This starts to look a lot like programs like Strong! or Soju and Tuba. I think you could do this even if you get three reps on your test day.

If you get 0-2 reps, it’s going to be hard to use that bell. You have three main options - using push presses or jerks with (slowish) controlled negatives to build volume with that bell and let the negatives get you strong enough to transition; find ways to make your 24kg bell harder so that it can still make you stronger. This could be different variations such as half kneeling, “combos” like getups with presses in it, and/or complexes where you are pressing in a fatigued state (such as after snatches). The third strategy would be to get comfortable doing get ups with the 32kg, and then adding things like adding multiple getups in a row on the same side.

Obviously, you can use multiple strategies to build these qualities and none of this is Giant or Geoff approved. I think what I’ve seen Geoff recommend before is using push press or jerk with 3.0 if you can at least do that until you’re strong enough.

Hope those are some helpful ideas.

Hi all, new(bie) member here!

Short background:
38 years old, limited weight lifting experience but been on and off kettlebells for a few years (mostly off) - but got going again a few months ago.

Tried to find a simple (not easy) program and ended purchasing The Giant. Love the program and love C&P. Its been the only program I have been able to follow 100%, ever!

I have run Giant 1.0 x 3 times. Started with double 16kgs with a 8-rep max. Now I am currently at 18 rep max with the 16s..

Now I am currently in the midst of trying to decide if I should buy new bells (20 or 24?) vs trying a new program.

I want to incorporate two days of running per week , I miss trail running.

So the questions are:
1. What would the best bells be for me now, double 20 or double 24?
2. Is The Giant suitable for someone who wants to run on the off days or should I look for something else? '

Thanks!

Edit: Ok, so I had another look in the tread and you have been discussing a similar dilemma. I`ll just leave this here anyway...

Hi all,

Just a quick update from earlier. I ended up getting double 24 competition kettlebells! Tried them out for a few sessions, and I was humbled!

Since then, I've been doing some "this and that" type of workouts, mostly some clean and press, front squats, snatches, etc., with my 16s and 24s. I want to start a program again, and I think I'll just stick with The Giant as I'm very happy with 30-minute autoregulated workouts. I'll also combine The Giant with some trail running, so I want to keep my legs fairly fresh for running.

Rep max with 16s = 16 perfect reps

Rep max with 24s = 5 (3 OK, 2 wobbly) reps

I'm thinking about starting 1.0 again with the 16s and run all the way through 1.0 - 1.2 (a 12-week program) OR start 3.0 and hope my rep max reaches 10, so I can start 1.0 with the 24s.

What do you guys think?

Honestly there’s a lot of variables, right? Say you finish the 12 week giant cycle using a 24kg, and you took your 10RM and made it a 15RM, but your next bell is 32kg.

First step is to test with 32kg. Can you get any reps? 1? 3? And then go from there. Obviously if you don’t get 5 it’ll be very hard to run 3.0, and likely if you get less than 4 I’d probably suggest something totally different.

If you get 4, I’d probably suggest alternating singles days and doubles days and build volume - eg 10+ sets. When you can hit 10 sets of doubles, I’d start introducing a day of triples. This starts to look a lot like programs like Strong! or Soju and Tuba. I think you could do this even if you get three reps on your test day.

If you get 0-2 reps, it’s going to be hard to use that bell. You have three main options - using push presses or jerks with (slowish) controlled negatives to build volume with that bell and let the negatives get you strong enough to transition; find ways to make your 24kg bell harder so that it can still make you stronger. This could be different variations such as half kneeling, “combos” like getups with presses in it, and/or complexes where you are pressing in a fatigued state (such as after snatches). The third strategy would be to get comfortable doing get ups with the 32kg, and then adding things like adding multiple getups in a row on the same side.

Obviously, you can use multiple strategies to build these qualities and none of this is Giant or Geoff approved. I think what I’ve seen Geoff recommend before is using push press or jerk with 3.0 if you can at least do that until you’re strong enough.

Hope those are some helpful ideas.
Thank you, this is really helpful as I’m running ROP ladders, a lot of this applies, didnt mean to hijack this thread.

Thank you, this is really helpful as I’m running ROP ladders, a lot of this applies, didnt mean to hijack this thread.
With ROP, the original recommendation was, if you could not press the next bell up at the end of 5 ladders of 1 through 5, was to switch to ladders of 2,3,5 and build up to 10 ladders, then add a rung (2, 3, 5, 10) and build up to 5 ladders, but each time you add a 10 rung you take away a 2, 3, 5 ladder. This means you build up to 100 reps (10 x 2, 3, 5), but then maintain that volume (100 reps) as you add rungs of 10. So your transition (for heavy day) would look like this:

5 x 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (last heavy day of ROP)
5 x 2, 3, 5 (first heavy day of "extended" ROP)
... (build ladders similar to ROP)
10 x 2, 3, 5
1 x 2, 3, 5, 10; 8 x 2, 3, 5
2 x 2, 3, 5, 10; 6 x 2, 3, 5
3 x 2, 3, 5, 10; 4 x 2, 3, 5
4 x 2, 3, 5, 10; 2 x 2, 3, 5
5 x 2, 3, 5, 10 (last heavy day of extended ROP)

At the end of this, you should be prepared to press the next bell size (e.g. 24kg to 32kg).

As you can see, there are similar ideas within the Giant framework.

You also now have a "Heavy ROP" that substitutes the next bell size up for the singles, then gradually adds it into the doubles, usually on the light and medium days. For instance:

Heavy day 5 x 1, 2, 3 @ 24kg
Light day 5 x 1 @ 32kg
Medium day 5 x 1 @ 32kg, 2 @ 24kg

It has been a while since I brushed up on Heavy ROP, but that's the gist.

Hey guys. Have around 25lbs to lose in 4 months prior to a trip to Hawaii. Should I:

Keep doing single bell giant (moving to double when I can) for 3 months and add zone 2 3 days a week in between giant days (not into hiit) and do 1 month of kettlebell burn the last month

3 months of giant and then a month of 10k swing kettlebell challenge

Keep on the giant for 4 months but compress rest times? Currently I wait until I’m in zone 2 before doing another set.

I really enjoy kb c&p and running is my preferred form of cardio (getting back into it so my zone 2 is more of a jog)

Thanks for any help. Diet is now squared away and not having issues with that side. I am leaning towards giant with zone 2 runs right now. I am new to lifting and rehabbing my shoulders so I went from giant with lightweight double 20 (pounds, doc said I won’t be able to lift overhead anymore ) after 2 months of rehab, to a single 16kg (still free of shoulder pain), so I know I’m not burning nearly as many calories as doubles. I probably can’t go to doubles until 2 more months of giant. I do want to stick to lifting as I don’t want to lose weight and stay soft.

I just really like giant and it’s the first program I’ve stick to longer than a month, so I’d like to fit aerobic work around it. It’s so good.
Apologies for not answering this - missed the alert.

I'd go with your 3rd choice.

Great to hear! BIG CONGRATS!
Should I run an entire 12-week block (1.0-1.2) using the same weight, and re-establish a new 10RM after that?
Yes, exactly.

Hey guys I have a question about my first training cycle of The Giant. I plan on doing 1.1 and 1.2 after. Due to some of my injuries the single kettlebell doesn’t irritate some of my joints. I currently can get 60ish reps in 20-24 minutes with my 28kg bell. I plan on keeping the same bell for the full 12 weeks and trusting the process.

Is it possible to retest my 10RM and continue or just get good with the 28 for a while till it’s rediculously easy?

I have a 32, 36, and 40kg bell at home also.
I see people talking about 80 reps in their giant workout but in one of Neupert’s videos he said your goal is 20-60 reps. The Rite of Passage Jurassic Edition also recommends aiming for around 60 reps. Love the carryover it has to manual labor. Work is getting easier and I am looking better after just one week of the program!

If you really want to get them spicy, just tell them they haven't done 1 good set yet, how are they going to do 14 more?

Hey guys I have a question about my first training cycle of The Giant. I plan on doing 1.1 and 1.2 after. Due to some of my injuries the single kettlebell doesn’t irritate some of my joints. I currently can get 60ish reps in 20-24 minutes with my 28kg bell. I plan on keeping the same bell for the full 12 weeks and trusting the process.

Is it possible to retest my 10RM and continue or just get good with the 28 for a while till it’s rediculously easy?

I have a 32, 36, and 40kg bell at home also.
I see people talking about 80 reps in their giant workout but in one of Neupert’s videos he said your goal is 20-60 reps. The Rite of Passage Jurassic Edition also recommends aiming for around 60 reps. Love the carryover it has to manual labor. Work is getting easier and I am looking better after just one week of the program!
Everyone’s number of reps is different. Not only is comparison the thief of joy, it can hinder your training. Get as many reps as you can with good technique following the prescribed RPE for that week.

Yes, use the 28kg the whole cycle. It getting ridiculously easy will just mean more reps in a session. At the end of the cycle, you can test rep max with the 28kg and see your improvement, and/or test your rep max at 32kg.

Everyone’s number of reps is different. Not only is comparison the thief of joy, it can hinder your training. Get as many reps as you can with good technique following the prescribed RPE for that week.

Yes, use the 28kg the whole cycle. It getting ridiculously easy will just mean more reps in a session. At the end of the cycle, you can test rep max with the 28kg and see your improvement, and/or test your rep max at 32kg.
Thanks man. Will do!

I’m new here and to kettlebells, but have had a fun month so far with the Giant 1.0.

I did the RepTest with a single adjustable KB @35 lbs back in January and ordered a pair of 16kg hardstyle bells from Rep to start the journey. The last ~2 reps with the left side weren’t perfect, but I eeked out 10. Later I added a “power systems” 20kg that seemed like a good deal.

MondayWednesdayFriday
Week 1 16/16 TR-24715x514x622x4
Week 2 16/16* TR- 25018x516x616x4 switch to 16/20*
Week 3 16/20 TR - 23814x514x621x4

After working into the second week and getting about 30 pages deep on this thread, I started to believe my rep count was too high and upgraded to the 16/20 on the Friday 4 rep day since it was the “lightest”. Instant drop in reps attained, but it felt doable yet challenging. Week 3 I kept the 16/20 setup and was basically able to match my week 1 output which felt great.

My form has definitely improved after the practice, and my “weaker” left shoulder/arm I swear is now my stronger arm. I plan to take it easier on next week’s deload and drop to 20 minute sessions.

Next Sunday I plan to perform a new rep test with my soon to be delivered adjustable BoS bells @24 KG, and jump to the giant 3.0. If I’m not able to hoist 24kg or fall well short of 5 reps, I’ll redo 1.0 at 20/20 or 22/22 or something similar. Here is hoping for the former.

Back
Top Bottom