all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

Hi group! Just finished 3.0 with 16/24 kgs. Felt good with the progress. W2 did 24 sets of 2. W4 did 30 sets. The 24kg is too heavy for 1.0 right now. So I see my options as repeat 3.0 or do single arm 1.0 with the 16 or something else. I decided to do dry fighting weight now with a 16 and 24 to get more C &P work but also hit some legs to hopefully drop some body fat. Anyone else try this approach and have good results?

Hi group! Just finished 3.0 with 16/24 kgs. Felt good with the progress. W2 did 24 sets of 2. W4 did 30 sets. The 24kg is too heavy for 1.0 right now. So I see my options as repeat 3.0 or do single arm 1.0 with the 16 or something else. I decided to do dry fighting weight now with a 16 and 24 to get more C &P work but also hit some legs to hopefully drop some body fat. Anyone else try this approach and have good results?
Sounds like you did nicely, but what is your new Rep Max with the 16/24 combo?

Reason I ask is that the DFW calls for a 5 RM?? It may be too light at this point for DFW??

Sounds like you did nicely, but what is your new Rep Max with the 16/24 combo?

Reason I ask is that the DFW calls for a 5 RM?? It may be too light at this point for DFW??
Didn’t retest but I’m definitely not a 10RM yet. Much closer to 5. Did W1D1 last night and it was a good workout so I think another 4-5 weeks at those weights is a good idea before trying to increase.

All, starting my last week of 2.0 today. I am leaving on vacation for 2 weeks on Friday and will be without my bells. I have not tested my max in a while but did get 10 reps a couple of weeks ago without going close to failing . Should I eliminate a workout or two of this weeks 2.0 sessions and test for a max on Thursday and then start 1.1 in 2 weeks when I get back or repeat the last week of 2.0 when I get back, then test and then move to 1.1? I have run 3.0 twice, 1.0 and now 2.0 with a single 24kg bell. I want to run 1.1 when I complete 2.0. Thanks for your advice.

All, starting my last week of 2.0 today. I am leaving on vacation for 2 weeks on Friday and will be without my bells. I have not tested my max in a while but did get 10 reps a couple of weeks ago without going close to failing . Should I eliminate a workout or two of this weeks 2.0 sessions and test for a max on Thursday and then start 1.1 in 2 weeks when I get back or repeat the last week of 2.0 when I get back, then test and then move to 1.1? I have run 3.0 twice, 1.0 and now 2.0 with a single 24kg bell. I want to run 1.1 when I complete 2.0. Thanks for your advice.
Just my advice as someone who's done the programs.

Do this week of the 2.0 as scheduled. Take the 2 weeks off and attempt the RM test when you get back and start the 1.0, not the 1.1 upon your return.

Just my advice as someone who's done the programs.

Do this week of the 2.0 as scheduled. Take the 2 weeks off and attempt the RM test when you get back and start the 1.0, not the 1.1 upon your return.
That bell will feel like a toy during the SECOND workout after 2 weeks off. First workout will be like breaking in a baseball glove. Stiff, heavy, but the body will adjust quickly. A week or 2 off does wonders in the long term. Enjoy your vacation, Paul.

In search of some advice. Finishing 1.1 this week w/ the 2x16. Definitely getting stronger but it’s not like insanely challenging. Seems like I have a few options…
-continue to 1.2 and try to ramp the sets up (I’m sure the 9’s are gonna be killer)
-jump to 2.0 (not sure how the ladders would play out w the doubles but it could be good)
-3.0 with the 2x24 (it was a HARD/not pretty 5 rep push press. The downswing feels a little sketchy to be honest. That’s my real weak spot w the 2x24)
-start 1.0 over with the 1x24

Background: 36yo. 175 lbs. 5’8”. Started giant 1.0 after finishing ROP with the 24(I did the pull-ups as well). I’m about 20% body fat and would like to at least get down to <15. Diet is pretty on point. Possibly need to eat more. Weight has stalled recently at 175 so I’m guessing I hit that sweet spot with my calories. I know building strength and muscle is the key to getting that BF down since my diet is good. Just curious if there’s. A benefit one way or the other over the 2x16 vs 1x24.
Any advice is welcome!

In search of some advice. Finishing 1.1 this week w/ the 2x16. Definitely getting stronger but it’s not like insanely challenging. Seems like I have a few options…
-continue to 1.2 and try to ramp the sets up (I’m sure the 9’s are gonna be killer)
-jump to 2.0 (not sure how the ladders would play out w the doubles but it could be good)
-3.0 with the 2x24 (it was a HARD/not pretty 5 rep push press. The downswing feels a little sketchy to be honest. That’s my real weak spot w the 2x24)

Background: 36yo. 175 lbs. 5’8”. Started giant 1.0 after finishing ROP with the 24(I did the pull-ups as well). I’m about 20% body fat and would like to at least get down to <15. Diet is pretty on point. Possibly need to eat more. Weight has stalled recently at 175 so I’m guessing I hit that sweet spot with my calories. I know building strength and muscle is the key to getting that BF down since my diet is good. Just curious if there’s. A benefit one way or the other over the 2x16 vs 1x24.
Any advice is welcome!
Do 1.2. Seems like you're progressing well. I'm in the same place where you are. I can do 2 x 24, but that rep max is currently 6 where 2 x 20 feels light. Just finished week 1 of 1.2 with 2 x 20. Lots of reps, but I'm focusing on form, getting the bells in the rack in the right place and being as efficient as I can in my press in regard to bell path.

I would run it for 20 minutes. You'll be doing probably 8-ish sets. 63-81 reps perfect for volume just like ROP. Then for the last 10 minutes, practice your cleans with the 24's. Don't press, just clean until you get comfortable. Do sets of 1-3 on the minute.

For bodyfat, make sure you are walking every day especially off days. Measure around your navel, don't worry about weight. Lock in the diet a little tighter. What works for me, eliminate fruit, cheese, bread except for 1x a week. Take Apple Cider Vinegar and Metameucil 1-2 TBS of each in water This will blunt your blood sugar. and help you burn fat faster

Any advice is welcome!
Reevaluate the 2/24 for the 3.0 after the 1.2. Bet you'll be surprised! The 9 rep sets.....well even though they suck when you're doing them, they are effective!

For bodyfat, make sure you are walking every day especially off days. Measure around your navel, don't worry about weight. Lock in the diet a little tighter. What works for me, eliminate fruit, cheese, bread except for 1x a week. Take Apple Cider Vinegar and Metameucil 1-2 TBS of each in water This will blunt your blood sugar. and help you burn fat faster
Brian, you're so right about the "simple" addition of some walking. A simple walk right after numerous sets of c+p really helped me get my weight down!

If you want to keep the reps high and want to change things a bit try 1.0 with 16+24 :) changing kb after each set.

I already said that I didn't enjoy the 3.0 and I was doing it as well with the 34kgs one and perhaps it was because I was weak to carry out strict press, instead I really enjoed push pressing (even if it waas hard) 1.0 with 34kgs + 24kgs perhaps the bigger volume was a key thing.

I don't have 2 kbs of the same size so...uneven kbs are my only option!!

Do 1.2. Seems like you're progressing well. I'm in the same place where you are. I can do 2 x 24, but that rep max is currently 6 where 2 x 20 feels light. Just finished week 1 of 1.2 with 2 x 20. Lots of reps, but I'm focusing on form, getting the bells in the rack in the right place and being as efficient as I can in my press in regard to bell path.

I would run it for 20 minutes. You'll be doing probably 8-ish sets. 63-81 reps perfect for volume just like ROP. Then for the last 10 minutes, practice your cleans with the 24's. Don't press, just clean until you get comfortable. Do sets of 1-3 on the minute.

Good call on practicing the cleans with the 24s. I don’t know man. It’s just a little sketch coming down from the rack. Probably could just do singles til I feel comfortable.

Reevaluate the 2/24 for the 3.0 after the 1.2. Bet you'll be surprised! The 9 rep sets.....well even though they suck when you're doing them, they are effective!
Good call. Sounds like a plan. Kind of looking forward to the suck from 9 rep sets…. It’s a way different feeling than heavy 3’s or 5’s. Not used to the high rep stuff. But man is it VISIBLY showing me that it works. I have shoulders!
Any advice on the downswing with the double 24s? Any cues or anything that might help?

Back
Top Bottom