all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

Just finished second week of 1.2 with 45s. Did 13 x 8 in 29 minutes Let me preface this by saying. I like the workout AND it is working.

However I wonder if there is a rep point of diminishing returns. For example the limit of Rop is 75 each arm, yet perfecting the press was over 100

Second I think due to the volume, this might be a program best run once a year. I might rest for a week after. 300 presses in a week is pretty significant.

Just finished second week of 1.2 with 45s. Did 13 x 8 in 29 minutes Let me preface this by saying. I like the workout AND it is working.

However I wonder if there is a rep point of diminishing returns. For example the limit of Rop is 75 each arm, yet perfecting the press was over 100

Second I think due to the volume, this might be a program best run once a year. I might rest for a week after. 300 presses in a week is pretty significant.
I found running it back to back worked pretty well but we are all wired differently. I agree with the diminishing return thing which is why I have felt that some have not really used challenging bell/bell combos.

It's kind of a balancing act ??

I found running it back to back worked pretty well but we are all wired differently. I agree with the diminishing return thing which is why I have felt that some have not really used challenging bell/bell combos.

It's kind of a balancing act ??
My plan is to test the 55's. If it's 7+ RM, run 1.0 with 55's and suck it up. The 45s are absolutely flying up. Working on perfect form. Going to deload week 4 as you have suggested to 20 minutes.

Some thoughts on closing out 1.0 >>1.1>>1.2 :

55 years old, 5' 7' 180 pounds. Desk worker/IT.
--Except for the first week, all sets done with 2x24
--Progress was slow but impressive. Prior to beginning this program, I did not think I could bang out multiple 9-rep sets of 2x24, but I sure did.
--Not much visible change. I don't have heart monitors or calipers. I'm also coming off about 8-10 `higher post COIVD ( I was doing fine and then ballooned in November 2020. Shoulders and arms perhaps a bit bigger and firmer. This is not new, no program I run seems to do much in either looks or body compostition, but I still keep plugging away .
--As rep counts increased, total poundage per session also decreased. I am not sure what to make of that.

I'm currently struggling with 2x28 running Giant 3.0. I'm traveling a lot and cannot get regular session in, so I am trying to do maintenance. The 28s are a much different beast, and both my rep count and total poundage are way, way down. We'll have to see how things go when I can devote a full month to 3.0.

I finished 2.0 on Sunday, and retested my rep max with 2x24 comp bells last night. I was able to grind out 20 reps this time! I also retested singles with a 32 hardstyle bell and was able to get 4 reps per side. It's crazy how much heavier that thing feels. I'm curious as to how it will feel with 2x32 comp bells. Can't believe that I've been working exclusively with 53s for almost 6 months. I considered running the Wolf for a round before starting Strong! or 3.0 with the 70s.

I finished 2.0 on Sunday, and retested my rep max with 2x24 comp bells last night. I was able to grind out 20 reps this time! I also retested singles with a 32 hardstyle bell and was able to get 4 reps per side. It's crazy how much heavier that thing feels. I'm curious as to how it will feel with 2x32 comp bells. Can't believe that I've been working exclusively with 53s for almost 6 months. I considered running the Wolf for a round before starting Strong! or 3.0 with the 70s.
AWESOME WORK!

Wolf heavy day weeks 3 and 6 are NASTY!!!

AWESOME WORK!

Wolf heavy day weeks 3 and 6 are NASTY!!!
Thanks! I've done the Wolf day 3 with 2x16s once for fun., but it was way too light. I'm more or so nervous about snatching 2x24, the rest not so much. Plus I'm sure so how going from averaging 132 reps of C+Ps to only 15-25 reps will effect my press strength. Perhaps it doesn't matter, when you're holding the front rack position for so long?

Hey SFG’s,
I am wrapping up KB Burn 2.0’s 16 week routine and have a week of no lifting after. I have been snatching, TGU, pressing/squatting w a 32 and doing construction work. I bought The Giant and was looking at doing 1.0-2.0 for the next few months and focusing on hypertrophy. I have a set of 24’s and a set of 32s and a single 40kg.
Everyone adapts at a different rate depending on sleep, food, age training history etc. I have a teething baby girl and a two year old tornado son and liked the idea of a 20-30 minute punch the clock and train routine for busy times. I walk the dog, or play outside with my older son and 2 year old to stay loose.
1). Any recovery strategies for a lot of rack holds and overhead work?
2) would I outgrow the 24s after 12-16 weeks assuming I recover/get ideal sleep?
3) anyone have warm ups they like for The Giant?

I just tested my new RM after finishing my second cycle of the Giant 3.0 with 2 x 24s. Results are in: I doubled my rep max! From 4 reps to 8!!!

My overall progress on the Giant now looks like this:

Cycle 1 (using Push Press):
  • Press RM from 1 to 4 reps
  • Push Press RM from 4 to 9 reps

Cycle 2 (using Strict Press)
  • Press RM from 4 to 8 reps

Now that I have an 8RM I am not sure what to do next. Should I try 1.0, or do another cycle of 3.0? I may be able to get more reps as I wasn't feeling 100% today, but I am not sure.
Wow that’s really impressive. 1RM to 8RM in 8 weeks?

At this rate you’ll be pressing them for 52 reps in a years worth of training!

Hey SFG’s,
I am wrapping up KB Burn 2.0’s 16 week routine and have a week of no lifting after. I have been snatching, TGU, pressing/squatting w a 32 and doing construction work. I bought The Giant and was looking at doing 1.0-2.0 for the next few months and focusing on hypertrophy. I have a set of 24’s and a set of 32s and a single 40kg.
Everyone adapts at a different rate depending on sleep, food, age training history etc. I have a teething baby girl and a two year old tornado son and liked the idea of a 20-30 minute punch the clock and train routine for busy times. I walk the dog, or play outside with my older son and 2 year old to stay loose.
2) would I outgrow the 24s after 12-16 weeks assuming I recover/get ideal sleep?
1. Workout is 3 days a week. Recover by not doing anything other than walking/playing with your tornado son
2. Depends on your 10 RM. I don't think so. You can also run it with a single kettlebell, so you can always run the 32's or 40
3. I do some ab wheel work. Don't really warm up. That's what the first couple of sets are for. You're autoregulating rest.
It's a great program.

1. Workout is 3 days a week. Recover by not doing anything other than walking/playing with your tornado son
2. Depends on your 10 RM. I don't think so. You can also run it with a single kettlebell, so you can always run the 32's or 40
3. I do some ab wheel work. Don't really warm up. That's what the first couple of sets are for. You're autoregulating rest.
It's a great program.
Thanks Brian! I was just thinking about hanging from a pull up bar between sets to counter the pressing. I’ll start w the 24s and see where to go after 8-12 weeks on it.

I just tested my new RM after finishing my second cycle of the Giant 3.0 with 2 x 24s. Results are in: I doubled my rep max! From 4 reps to 8!!!

Now that I have an 8RM I am not sure what to do next. Should I try 1.0, or do another cycle of 3.0? I may be able to get more reps as I wasn't feeling 100% today, but I am not sure.
EXCELLENT job! ?

My plan is to test the 55's. If it's 7+ RM, run 1.0 with 55's and suck it up. The 45s are absolutely flying up. Working on perfect form. Going to deload week 4 as you have suggested to 20 minutes.
@BrianCF - I think this is a GREAT idea. You seem to be "wired" for reps, so using something heavier will likely present a greater stimulus for "gainz."

Hey SFG’s,
How're your results with "Burn," @John Rhodes?

Hey SFG’s,
I'm interested in your results with this aswell as it's my next programme after the giant.

I'm currently running giant 3.0 with two X 24's.

Started it with a 20+24kg which was an 8RM but was gifted a 24KG bell.

Finished the giant 3 & am having a week off with a RM test in it.

Imagine I will need to run the giant 3.0 a few more times until it's a 10RM

How're your results with "Burn," @John Rhodes?
Began the program at 6’4” 275lbs, shoulder surgery year prior. Began phase 1 using a 24kg for strength portions of workouts and had to use it for metabolic section because I was sucking wind. The finishers I had to do swings as able because of work/rest intervals. Phase 2 I took longer rests and used a 32kg for strength (3x3 each arm on TGU, and 4-7 sets of 3 on C&P) but still had to use a 24 for the reps/Metabolic. Grip got stronger and was doing sets of 10-15 for 10 minutes as finisher.
Phase three snatching 32 and SLDL ladders in strength. 32 for metabolic and sets of 10-15 as finisher. I started eating more protein to recover more in phase 4 and weight loss stalled. I didn’t follow the nutrition advice (wish I had). I have the last week or so and have much more energy. On last week of phase 4, kind of sad because it changed my life.
I’m 235 now and have 4 abs sticking out of the top, and veins in my hands forearm I haven’t seen in a long time.
I haven’t tested a deadlift, snatch or pull up but carrying timber’s on a job sight or playing outside w kids is a LOT easier. My wife is pays me more attention also.
Very, good program.

Back
Top Bottom