all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Goal Pullups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Abraiz

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi all.

I cannot do pullups. Never have been able to do it. I didn't have a place to hang from when I was a kid. Maybe someone could argue the point that I didn't look hard enough, which might be true, but I have not done pullups. Squats, pushups, etc. yes, but no pullups. Ever. So, my huge overarching goal for 2018 is to be able to do pullups. No matter if it takes me the whole year to get there. I tried the CC pullup progression approach but got stuck in the middle. Another viable approach seems to be the one Karen Smith wrote about as an article some time back (How to Progress Yourself to Your First Pull-up). My question/s are about this approach. It would be real nice if Ms. Smith herself answered them, but any and all advice is appreciated.

1. How many times a week do I have to do these progressions? GTG is fine, but can't I fit this in the gym schedule, like 3 times a week or something of that sort?

2. Do I need to have heavy, medium and light days?

3. How do you decide a heavy, medium or light day for a bodyweight static movement? Is this decided as per time, like 60 secs worth of holds for heavy day, 45 secs for medium and 30 secs for light day or is it on the difficulty level of the movement? Something like straight arm hangs for light day, flexed hangs for medium day and weighted flexed arm hangs for heavy day?

4. The article quoted gives a time standard, like 45-60 seconds generally means a pullup. To build up the time, do you need to use meticulous methods like you do for bodyweight number standards? Allow me to explain this. If I want to hit 50 pushups, then I will see how much I can do right now. Halve that number and hit 50 in how many sets it takes. Then maybe 2 weeks later test myself again. Halve this number and hit 50 in as many sets as it takes and so on till I hit 50 in 1 set. Do I need to use something like this or simply adding a couple of seconds whenever I can will also work fine. But this seems really unstructured to me.

5. Can I use CC pullup progressions alongside this approach?

As I said, any and all advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

@Abraiz
Welcome to SF.
I'm sure many people will chime in on this one.
It might be helpful if we had a bit more of a bio from you.
Age, weight, injury history, easy access to pull-up apparatus, training goals (other than first pull-up), other training that you do, etc....

Hi again. I am 33 years old. No injury history as such. Access to the pullup bar in the gym and nowhere else. In terms of pullups, I am nowhere. As I said, I started the CC progressions, went up to step 4 maybe and got stuck. Now I am starting at square one. Have a martial arts background, so hollow position from where the quoted article starts is kind of routine for me.

For other training goals, I am on 5/3/1, which is progressing fine if a bit slowly. I go to the gym 4 times a week, about 45-60 min workouts. The main lift of the day, back-off sets, 2 assistance lifts and out. I don't want to derail the 5/3/1. I can easily fit bodyweight exercises in my rest periods. That is where I will be adding pullup progressions. It doesn't matter if it takes time, but I want to be able to do pullups without putting the barbell work on the backburner.

The first things that come to my mind:

-planks to get a feeling for the holöow position
-bodyweight rows and its various progressions
-band assisted pullups

I didn't become decent at pull ups until I worked my grip and learned the HTT from Naked Warrior..not trying to sell you on the book, just my experience..

pullups became a graceful and fluid thing rather than a jerky fight once I applied all of the techniques to my pullups

your ability to activate your abs and glutes, as well as your grip may be seriously holding you back..

getting a crush gripper may help let those 3 things (grip, ab, and core working together)

hope you the best

I tried the CC progression too, didn't get me anywhere.

The thing that helped me the most in getting started in pull ups was negatives - jump up, and lower yourself slowly. The negative part is half the work, figuratively speaking, and you can really get a lot out of it.

Other tip somebody gave me along the way was to not let your shoulders relax and drop your weight onto your tendons. Tendons don't get stronger - they're plenty strong already, it's the muscles that need work. Don't let them get lazy at the bottom, keep shoulder tension.

For me, once I was able to get one solid one, it was all downhill getting 3, 4, 5...

Good hunting, @Abraiz

Nice @LoriLifts !
Never thought about mixed grip to close the gap between chinups and pullups.
So far I've only seen people like Ninja Warrior competitors use it to save their grip.

@Abraiz, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

My suggestion would be to give up, temporarily, on pullups and follow some of the other advice you're received above. If your grip gets stronger, your pullups may, too. My older son is a fair amount heavier than he wishes to be, and he had lost his ability to do pullups. At my suggestion, and not for reasons of pullups but just to stretch out his back and shoulders, I suggested he do bar hangs for time, and he's worked up to doing untimed, 20-to-30-second-ish hangs in a GTG style - he probably does 4 or 5 every day. One day recently, he tried a pullup and got several in a single set, and was very pleased.

My own pullups, and those of many others, have improved as a result of two other, different, non-pullup strategies. First, military pressing a kettlebell as explained here: focus not only on the press, but on pulling the bell down on every rep. Second, get stronger overall by practicing the barbell deadlift, which is about the perfect place to put all of StrongFirst's high-tension techniques into practice. (And third, you could also try a little direct ab work.)

Best of luck to you, and looking forward to hearing of your progress.

-S-

@Abraiz Welcome
Thank you for the interest in my programming.

If you are working toward your first pullup then you will need to spend time hanging on the bar. You can wave the load (light med and heavy) in a few different ways and it can be done on your three gym days since you do not have a bar outside of the gym.
I would do hollow hangs (building straight arm hangs), flexed arm hangs (building bent arm strength), weighted hangs and also add slow negatives. The more time you spend hanging the stronger you will become. Once you get your first pull up you can change one of your days to a pull up day instead of a hang day. You will do singles until you have a day you are feeling stronger then try for a double. At that time you can start adding in ladders ex . 2, 1,1,1 then 2, 2, 1, 1 etc.
Hope this helps.

In the mean time keep working your grip strength and also the active negatives when you military press.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Hi all. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. Will definitely start incorporating them.

To Ms. Smith. I will be doing a light day, a heavy day and a medium day in that order. There is a gap of 1 day after the heavy day. Light day will be weighted straight arm hangs, heavy day will be weighted flexed arm hangs. Medium day will be flexed arm hangs and some negatives. This is where I'll test my progress. If I go up to 45-60 seconds here, that means I'll own that first chinup, as you said in that article.

Thanks once again.

I've helped a lot of people do their first pullup, for some reason when they heard other people call me Tarzan and then saw me doing weighted pullups they'd approach me for advice.

The first thing I always did was find their weak spot, some people are weak at the bottom phase of the lift and others are weaker near the top. I'd test them at several stages of the lift while they were standing on a chair or I'd just assist them to get them into place. Once I'd identified their problem I'd focus almost exclusively on fixing that.

So negatives & static holds were always my remedy, find your weak spot and then attempt a static hold at the top of that zone & it will most likely turn into a slow negative. If you are weak near the top focus on that, if you have a hard time time starting the lift then work on the bottom phase.

I never worried much about their form as long as they weren't relaxing too much near the lower phase of the lift and risking injury, as long as they got their chin past the bar. Chinup, pullup, mixed grip I didn't care & neither did they. They were always stoked to do their first full rep.

More than a few big guys got their first pullup/chinup after I'd told them to look at the bar, grab it & rip the F#$%ing thing off the wall. It's a bit like a deadlift in that respect, you start looking at the bar and finish with your head in a neutral position looking straight ahead. Looking at the bar activates the chain of posterior muscles needed to pull it off. Finishing the top of the lift needs the neutral head position or you could hurt yourself.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get one in a few months.

Last edited:
look at the bar, grab it & rip the F#$%ing thing off the wall.

Forgive the slight topic divergence, but I love this cue.

I've been having some trouble with my TGUs recently, partly because of a mild back strain and partly just trying to increase the weight. After reading this, I started using it as a cue to getting up to the elbow; plant the elbow, and drive the F#$%ing thing through the floor. Has really helped.

We focus a lot on technique and tension... don't forget to occasionally F#$%ing tear things up.

i learned from the legendary Scooby! he has a youtube channel (Scooby1961) and and awesome pull up progression program (How To Do Your First Pullup! (Then 8 more!))
that is based on negative pull ups. it worked wonders for me years ago when i was in the same position as you where i had never been able to do a single pull up in my life.

Good Luck!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom