all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Grease the Groove or The Giant

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Richard

Level 4 Valued Member
Trying to decide on which C & P program I should try for the next 3 months.
I can get 5 reps with a single 32KG so I'm thinking I could try the Giant 3.0 or GTG with sets of 2 throughout the day.
I'm currently working from home so I've all day access to my Kettlebell so I believe I'd get a much higher weekly volume with GTG
however I haven't tried the Giant yet and I'm seeing a lot of positive feedback on the forum.

Giant, even if i didn't really enjoyed the 3.0 with the 34kgs as much as I did the 1.0 ones.

GTG works but..with such heavy weight you should warm up before attempting one c&p as you could end injured, I wouldn't reccomend that.

Respectfully disagree with some of the comments about GTG - GTG is great.

It doesn't need to be every hour, just start with 1-3 times per day and see how it goes, increase as you feel you can.

A 5RM weight shouldn't require a warmup (or at least it needn't).

With GTG, always back off or skip a day if you're feeling like you need to, and keep some variety in what you do - if you pick up the bell and it's feeling light and you want to do a triple, go for it, but if one rep feels like all you want to do, then that's OK, too. Or you feel like, after you pick up the bell and do a single, you could wait a minute and then do a double, that's OK, too. GTG shouldn't be drudgery, it shouldn't be rigidly schedule, IMO, it should just be kind of fun. More examples: maybe, after a day off, you get to your second set of the day and it feels fantastic and you think you can easily best your old RM - just go for it, then be done for the rest of the day and probably the next day as well.

-S-

Respectfully disagree with some of the comments about GTG - GTG is great.

It doesn't need to be every hour, just start with 1-3 times per day and see how it goes, increase as you feel you can.

A 5RM weight shouldn't require a warmup (or at least it needn't).

With GTG, always back off or skip a day if you're feeling like you need to, and keep some variety in what you do - if you pick up the bell and it's feeling light and you want to do a triple, go for it, but if one rep feels like all you want to do, then that's OK, too. Or you feel like, after you pick up the bell and do a single, you could wait a minute and then do a double, that's OK, too. GTG shouldn't be drudgery, it shouldn't be rigidly schedule, IMO, it should just be kind of fun. More examples: maybe, after a day off, you get to your second set of the day and it feels fantastic and you think you can easily best your old RM - just go for it, then be done for the rest of the day and probably the next day as well.

-S-
Thanks Steve. I always loved GTG. Got into the best shape of my life about 13 years ago doing GTG pistols, handstands and pullups.

@Richard I used a GTG approach which was by clusters in structure..

Feel free to message me so we can potentially hop on a call so I can discuss it with you in detail

I am partial to grease the groove and had a very positive experience - but I would trust any program out of @Geoff Neupert

what I learned from GtG was : for purposes of increasing limit strength - It was perfectly effective and over delivered for me - but if you have any interest in conditioning - for sports performance or anything - you're going to have to supplement for that

What are your goals?

When I was starting out, I had no idea what to do because I wanted to do it all. At one point, I was just working on the fundamentals, but I was doing GTG presses. I noticed that I felt energized all day long. I was great to get the blood pumping throughout the day.

I vote for GTG. One advantage is that you can work in specialized variety - bottoms up, assistance, and other presses.

One problem with GTG, as mentioned in Naked Warrior, may be that you either do too much and overtrain or too little to actually progress. One solution may be to have some sort of system to randomly determine the number of sets/reps to do each day.

I vote for GTG. One advantage is that you can work in specialized variety - bottoms up, assistance, and other presses.

One problem with GTG, as mentioned in Naked Warrior, may be that you either do too much and overtrain or too little to actually progress. One solution may be to have some sort of system to randomly determine the number of sets/reps to do each day.
I’d aim for volume. Not an exact number but a ballpark. “I need to press around XX total it’s/lbs today, if I get a few more that’s gravy but a little less is OK.” You’ll progress, especially since you are gradually adding volume as the “Groove becomes Greasier.”

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom