all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Hand X-Band

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Cyrus

First Post
So my Hand X-Band arrived today, based on this forum I’ve learnt that it can be effective to reduce elbow tendinitis issues.

It’s so interesting that I’m way weaker doing reps on the hand with the elbow pain, versus my non painful arm.

hopefully a few weeks of this therapy does the trick. Has anyone else used this device?

I'm dealing with tendinitis currently, and have a similar product to Hand X-Bands that I've been using for ~2 weeks now. I'm also using a Theraband flex bar. So far I'd say the tendinitis doesn't seem to be progressing, but it's not definitively going away yet either.

What I've done so far is to reduce my S&S training from 5 days a week to every other day, so that I have a full day of rest in between sessions. I'm doing all of my TGUs at the normal weight, but I'm only doing 4 sets of swings, and only with 16kg, which still seems to slightly agitate my elbows.

I'm going to a sports medicine doctor later this afternoon to see what they have to say.

I have the dark blue X-Band. Been using it for 3 weeks. Both hands getting stronger. My training has been limited for the last 6 weeks due to medial epicondylitis , which is getting better, but I've been hitting it from many angles, so other than the strength gains not sure what is doing what.

This community seems like a hotbed of tendinitis issues ??

Are there prehab exercises we’re missing out on? S&S seems pretty limited in the warm up exercises offered.

Fair point. Speaking for myself, I was getting plenty of signs to shut it down for a bit of rest/adjustment, which I ignored. And last time I checked this forum had close to 14,000 members. Lot's of iron being used.
Yeah... I hear ya. This type of thing rarely comes at you out of the blue.
And even when it does it’s usually pretty easy to find the root cause.

Are there prehab exercises we’re missing out on? S&S seems pretty limited in the warm up exercises offered.
As far as S&S goes. If you follow correct form:
* keep arms straight on swings
* Keep arms locked out on GU's
* Don't let wrist bend back in GU's

and follow the program:
* Don't add extras (grip work, pull ups, push ups, pressing, etc)

There shouldn't be much opportunity for elbow issues.

JMO

As far as S&S goes. If you follow correct form:
* keep arms straight on swings
* Keep arms locked out on GU's
* Don't let wrist bend back in GU's

and follow the program:
* Don't add extras (grip work, pull ups, push ups, pressing, etc)

There shouldn't be much opportunity for elbow issues.

JMO
Exactly!

It does seem that way.

So when I read S&S, I remember Pavel mentioning using a rubber band in between sets of swings for finger extensions, but I ignored that until re-reading the book after having issues. Then, all of a sudden, it seemed like really important advice ?

I ignored the signs for several weeks and tried to muscle through, because I'm hungry to get to that 32kg bell. I'm regretting that now, and having to take time off and cease my progress so I can get back in a good state. My fear at this point is not being certain about when to start back, and how to ramp back up safely w/o overdoing it. I accept that my progress will be slower than I had originally hoped for, but I'll consider it a victory if I can ramp back up in such a way that I don't have to take time off again, even if that means adding months to my goal of hitting Timeless Simple.

I'm not sure how happy I am with the doctor I saw yesterday. He seemed quick to diagnose my issue, and seemed to want to prescribe me some steroids and anti-inflamatory medications, and then he spent a lot of time telling me about the potential of steroid or PRP shots. I asked about physical therapy, because what I really wanted was someone to help guide me through rehabilitating myself in a sustainable way. He set me up, but I get the impression that he would not have if I hadn't asked. So I'll see how that goes. In the mean time, I'm going to stop doing swings all together, and continue doing finger extensions and eccentric exercises w/ the theraband flex bar every other day until my PT appointment.

[edit: PRP shot, not PCP shot]

Last edited:
From my personal experience, I found I was gripping the bells too hard (yes, that is a thing) and that was the cause of my issues. I scaled back in weight, only did 2HS for a few months and regularly did work with the TheraBand Flexbar and finger extensions. I went back to the basics and got my form corrected and have been pain free in both elbows for months now, back to regular, pain free 1HS with the 32 and 40. I continue to do some prehab with finger extensions and occasionally with the bar.

I found that over gripping on the TGU (or press in the past) also led me to get lateral epicondyle issues. Not just on the 1HS.

From my personal experience, I found I was gripping the bells too hard (yes, that is a thing) and that was the cause of my issues. I scaled back in weight, only did 2HS for a few months and regularly did work with the TheraBand Flexbar and finger extensions. I went back to the basics and got my form corrected and have been pain free in both elbows for months now, back to regular, pain free 1HS with the 32 and 40. I continue to do some prehab with finger extensions and occasionally with the bar.

That's encouraging to hear, @Bunn

I'm committed to finding the way to succeed at S&S sustainably. I suspect that I have been overgripping. Just before having to lay off, I was focusing on relaxing my grip. The challenge I ran into was that when I focus on squeezing the glutes and abs during the standing plank, it's hard to not tense up my arms as well. I suspect there's an art to it, and I just need to figure it out and burn it into my muscle memory. I tried once or twice using the thumbless, or thumb over grip to see if it helped, but I had to lay off before really deciding if that helped.

So my Hand X-Band arrived today, based on this forum I’ve learnt that it can be effective to reduce elbow tendinitis issues.

It’s so interesting that I’m way weaker doing reps on the hand with the elbow pain, versus my non painful arm.

hopefully a few weeks of this therapy does the trick. Has anyone else used this device?
Broke my X-Band after 3-4 weeks of use. Let me know how yours fares. Thanks.

Alot of reviews say they don't last long. While I like the concept, I think I'll keep buying my meat from my local butcher and use the elastics on the packaging

Broke my X-Band after 3-4 weeks of use. Let me know how yours fares. Thanks.
Yeah lol mine lasted 2 DAYS hahaha. I bought it from a powerlifting website here in Australia and seems I got some silicone knockoff (there was no X-Band branding on it).

They claimed it was ‘faulty’ and are sending me a new one. Not optimistic. Really loved the work though while it wasn’t broken, I could feel my arm/hand/fingers were really embracing the antagonist stretching.

Thank you all for sharing. Can really relate to a lot of peoples posts here. Especially @Bunn and the gripping too hard. Have scaled everything back now, looking forward to progressing more purposefully and less intensely.

Attachments

• 190A9485-1C2A-4AD4-A9E2-3AD67E7DA840.jpeg
    190A9485-1C2A-4AD4-A9E2-3AD67E7DA840.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 5
Yeah lol mine lasted 2 DAYS hahaha. I bought it from a powerlifting website here in Australia and seems I got some silicone knockoff (there was no X-Band branding on it).

They claimed it was ‘faulty’ and are sending me a new one. Not optimistic. Really loved the work though while it wasn’t broken, I could feel my arm/hand/fingers were really embracing the antagonist stretching.

Thank you all for sharing. Can really relate to a lot of peoples posts here. Especially @Bunn and the gripping too hard. Have scaled everything back now, looking forward to progressing more purposefully and less intensely.
Mine has the proper branding and broke in the same spot as yours. Also enjoyed mine while it lasted. Ten bucks a month not a bad deal, but also have a drawer full of rubber-bands.

That's encouraging to hear, @Bunn

I'm committed to finding the way to succeed at S&S sustainably. I suspect that I have been overgripping. Just before having to lay off, I was focusing on relaxing my grip. The challenge I ran into was that when I focus on squeezing the glutes and abs during the standing plank, it's hard to not tense up my arms as well. I suspect there's an art to it, and I just need to figure it out and burn it into my muscle memory. I tried once or twice using the thumbless, or thumb over grip to see if it helped, but I had to lay off before really deciding if that helped.
The key (for me) is... not focusing on squeezing the handle, but focusing on not opening the hand once I have gripped the bell. I have used this on up to 32kg bells and have never felt that grip was ever an issue.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom