all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Hand X-Band

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
But do you throw the broccoli in the trash? ROFL
I'm fine w. broccoli in small doses.

I should mention I do finger extensions in 4-5 20 rep sets probably once a week (sometimes twice) and it seems to help as a preventative for hand, wrist and elbow health.

I had my first appointment with the physical therapist at my sports medicine doctor's office yesterday. I'm optimistic. Between the start of this thread and yesterday my tennis elbow is all but gone in both elbows, and the golfer's elbow is really only there in my left side.

I believe it's the daily finger expansion exercises that have improved my tennis elbow.

The PT gave me some exercises to do that were similar to what I was already doing. The biggest thing I got out of it was probably realizing that I'd probably been too aggressive at them. The theraband bar, for example. I was putting nearly 100% into it. I eventually quit, relying only on the finger expanders, but in the last day or two I've resumed the theraband bar, but at more like 60% effort. I'm also doing pronation/supination w/ a hammer.

I'm hoping to see some improvement soon, so I can resume S&S. I did a few test sets of swings w/ the 16kg bell over the weekend, focusing on keeping a relaxed grip, and it only caused a little discomfort. I'm taking that as a good sign. I'm still a little anxious about the next time I swing the 24kg bell, but hopefully by the time I do that I have a week or two of pain free history.

So I had a competing brand to the Hand-X bands. They are Alpha Gripz. At the time @Don Fairbanks and @Cyrus posted about their Hand-X bands breaking, mine were several weeks old and seemed to be holding up fine. However as of this week, 2 of the 3 I ordered have developed tears in exactly the same spot.

I'm thinking of replacing them with the iron minds Expand-Your-Hand Bands, which are basically just rubber bands with no molded finger holes. I feel like they'll hold up longer. Does anyone here have experience with them? Do they last? FWIW, I also have some rubber bands from some asparagus, and they seem to work OK, but I feel like a wider band would be more likely to remain in place over the course of several reps.

I like the ironmind bands but I've had some snap over the years too. I think with these rubber and elastic materials, eventually with time and use they will break.

Iron Mind Expand-Your-Hand Bands are great. I have been using them for over 6 years. I like that they have graduated, color-coded resistance levels among the 5 pairs of bands. Never had a problem with them yet.

This community seems like a hotbed of tendinitis issues ??

Are there prehab exercises we’re missing out on? S&S seems pretty limited in the warm up exercises offered.

People apparently aren't using the broccoli rubber bands, as suggested by the books.

Personally, I outgrew the rubber bands as therapy once I started using clubs on my variety days.

People apparently aren't using the broccoli rubber bands, as suggested by the books.

Personally, I outgrew the rubber bands as therapy once I started using clubs on my variety days.

On reading the book the first time, the rubberband advice came across as a suggestion that might help with grip recovery. It felt optional to me, and I had no concept that I could potentially injure myself by ignoring the advice. Perhaps I should have known better. Pavel doesn't waste words.

Other advice, like on packing the shoulders, using 2 hands to pick up a kettlebell at the beginning of a TGU, etc were worded much more strongly and definitively. I saw all of those things as important and non-optional.

Pavel is a fantastic communicator, and I typically feel like I "get" what he wants me to get out of his books. But in this case, if I could offer any feedback at all, it would be to talk about medial and lateral epicondylitis directly, and to talk about the risks and prevention directly in association with it.

So I had a competing brand to the Hand-X bands. They are Alpha Gripz. At the time @Don Fairbanks and @Cyrus posted about their Hand-X bands breaking, mine were several weeks old and seemed to be holding up fine. However as of this week, 2 of the 3 I ordered have developed tears in exactly the same spot.

I'm thinking of replacing them with the iron minds Expand-Your-Hand Bands, which are basically just rubber bands with no molded finger holes. I feel like they'll hold up longer. Does anyone here have experience with them? Do they last? FWIW, I also have some rubber bands from some asparagus, and they seem to work OK, but I feel like a wider band would be more likely to remain in place over the course of several reps.
I use them. They work great, but they will deteriorate with age. I get at least a year out of them.
Baoding Balls and Rice Buckets are also great pre-hab for hands and elbows...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom