all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Hard time raising on toes

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gary Samuelian

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello SF community.
I'm looking for some advice that will help my client.
70 yr old male with spinal stenosis has a hard time standing on toes (plantar flexion) while standing. aka drop foot
Stenosis has been removed
Knows how to properly goblet squat/kb dl/tgu.

Currently we have been holding on to a rail for support and rising on toes to strengthen calves and anterior tib/calves. Goal is to eventually let go of the rail.

any advice would be much appreciated

@Gary Samuelian, I would think a consult with a physical therapist would be in order. It sounds like you need some remediation, things to bring your client back to normal from weaker than normal before you can start the pursuit of strong.

Thinking of grabbing the ground with the foot, also of screwing the feet into the ground (right foot clockwise, left foot opposite) - both good cues that may yield some benefit.

-S-

@Gary Samuelian
Here is my idea :)
'Play piano' with the toes on the floor.
Sit on a chair
Hands resting on knees, palms facing down
Press down fingers on knee (right hand) and all five toes of right foot
Repeat on left side
Press thumb of the right hand down while doing the same with the right big toe
Go on with every finger and toe
Same on left side
Goal is to be able to move toes as seperate as possible. Doing the moves with the fingers at the same time helps.
Next step is to do it standing
Then straighten fingers and try to stand on toes

Hope you get the idea?

Last edited:
First, as @Steve Freides said, clear with a PT if any pain is present and consider consultation even with no pain.

Second, OS rocking, first in plantar flexion, than in dorsi flexion, than Lego rocking. These will help learn foot/ankle control in a safe environment.

Another thought - may it be hip control issue? If one cannot stabilize and balance the pelvis well it is magnified when trying to stand on the toes (essentially eliminating the ability to compensate with feet and decreasing base of support). This will manifest as a loss of balance while in plantar flexion, while plantar flexion itself is not the limiting factor. Can your client spend time at tall and half kneeling positions while demonstrating control? While OS work will assist IMHO in that area as well it is advisable to make sure what limiting factor is, rather than when it is manifested.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom