all posts post new thread

Old Forum heart heatlh and S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jeannot

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi,

I have a question about the S&S program related to the heart heatlh, when i do swing my heart rate could reach 160 170 bpm, and when you want to train safely your heart, i think it is better to stay below 140 -150  bpm (i 'am 33 year old) during a "long time" (20 min min). So my question is: is the swing (or even the get-up with its intense and "long" almost static effort) good for the heart heatlh?

Thanks!

I'm no doctor but I would think that it is a good thing to work your heart regardless of your heartrate as long as you are in decent health.  I've had my HR reach 165 bpm a few times during swings and even remain around the 140 mark after swings while doing TGUs.

Its all about conditioning your body.   Just take your time between sets.

Jean, there are many opinions as to what's an ideal heart rate range to train in, and just as many opinions about what's a safe heart rate range to train in.  Your question - whether it is safe to training your heart at about 140-150 - is best asked to your doctor.

-S-

Jean, presuming we are talking about a healthy person and not one under doc's orders, a high HR for the duration of a swing workout is not likely to be a problem (a lot of time spent with a high HR is).  But for aerobic development it is better to keep it low, like you prefer.  S&S is an alactic + aerobic plan, so a lower HR is just right.

I always prefer to use bpm "above your resting rate" since I have hypothyroid (medicated to normal range) I have to almost flog it to death to get over about 140 w/ resting rate in low 50's. And I am not an endurance athlete by any stretch of imagination!

[bpm =  beats per minute] If resting heart rate is 90 bpm, a rate of 140 is a 50 bpm increase. If resting rate is 55, that same 140 is a 85 bpm increase.  That difference between a 55 bpm bump and an 85 bpm bump is quite large.  So the 140 target really means little. What you really want is some specific increase over resting rate, probably a percentage increase.

Pavel,
Sorry i'am not sure to understand :
so a lower HR is just right.
Did you mean that the mean heart rate  (swing + recovery) is low or did you mean something else?

Thanks!

Geoffrey,

I hear you, and it sounds just as valid as any other method of rating intensity.

But, if we are talking about aerobic work, we are looking for a HR that marks a particular amount of H+ in the blood, whether by chemoreception of H+ directly, or by surrogate metrics: O2, CO2, etc.  HR (it seems, but also, hopefully) corresponds tightly to a physiological state.  So, it is not necessarily a HR that is some % above rest, or some % of max; but that HR which has the individual working below the LT, probably lower than we think.  This value may or may not fit with the % marks, for an individual.  Save for lab testing, it's the best measure we have.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom