all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Heavy Kettlebell Halo's

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Lennart

First Post
I have a somewhat good mobility in my shoulder area and was just today trying to go little heavier in the kettlebell halos. I used 20kg for 2x20 reps and it felt really good. I didn't find any discussion about doing heavy kettlebell halos anywhere in the net, mostly just people saying that you don't need to go heavy. Why not? Is there a particular reason for it?

I would imagine when done in moderation heavy halos can do wonders in your mobility and upper torso strength.

Has anyone ever done heavy halos regularly?

Yes, I've done them w 32kg at 68 kg bodyweight. If your form is solid and you want to do heavy halos, go for it.

-S-

Thank you for the reply Steve. If I may ask, how did you program them? Did you do them as a finisher of sorts or...?

Hello,

A heavy halo is a very good exercise to work simultaneously upper body - meaning shoulders and arms - strength and mobility. I will also oblige you to work on your core to maintain a perfect balance.

The risk you may consider is a weak muscle on base of your neck.

A quite complete combination a sometimes use is :
halo (from left to right)
barbarian squat
halo (from right to left).
barbarian squat

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thank you for the reply Steve. If I may ask, how did you program them? Did you do them as a finisher of sorts or...?
No, as a warmup. BTW, when I was considering doing these, I also wasn't sure, so I asked Pavel. His response was that he didn't recommend these for everyone but he thought they'd be ok for me.

I took that to mean he felt my form would be good but you must, of course, work up in weight gradually. Remember that all contingencies can never be foreseen and good judgement trumps all other training qualities.

-S-

pet'

Thanks for the input! My training at the moment consists mainly of

Basics in: Pistol squat & The Bridge

Half turkish get up, Kalos style (the floor is very hard where I train, have to buy knee pads at some point)

Swings

And heavy farmers walks maybe once a week.

+ halos

Steve

Thanks for the reply! I have no rush, so I will work the weight up gradually :)

I consider halos a mobility and warmup drill. I never take them as an exercise in themself. As so, I prefer to keep them light. I suppose I've never done them past 24kg, and I don't see a reason to.

That said, I'd love to see a reason to do so. Please, recount your experiences on heavy halos and the benefits gained in doing so.

I never considered doing them heavy. I am working ROP with a 32kg now, but when I do halo's for warm up I use a 10kg.....

I remember in some thread a long while back, Pavel said for S&S there's no need to go heavier than a 16kg for halos. He did say to match your goblet squats in S&S to your one hand swing weight, though.

I remember in some thread a long while back, Pavel said for S&S there's no need to go heavier than a 16kg for halos. He did say to match your goblet squats in S&S to your one hand swing weight, though.

I don't suppose anyone recalls which post/thread this was do they? I would be very interested to read it. I have been wondering what the "correct" weight should be for goblets in an S&S style warm up. Currently I am swinging 32kg and doing goblets with a 24, and I stopped doing halos about a month ago in favour of shoulder dislocates but perhaps I'll put the halos back in just with a heavier weight.

Currently I am swinging 32kg and doing goblets with a 24, and I stopped doing halos about a month ago in favour of shoulder dislocates but perhaps I'll put the halos back in just with a heavier weight.

Shoulder dislocates and halos are great combination. They hit different aspects of shoulder function and thoracic extension. I use pvc dislocates as a warmup drill and active recovery between sets often.

Also try lying prone, hinging, and squatting dislocates with a band, wooden dowel, or pvc pipe.

The search function works great... Look for "halo" and "posted by" Pavel.

S&S warm up Weight?
"for the halo it is not necessary to up the weight; for the goblet squat up the weights to match your swings."

Also found this though... interesting... he says, "The goblet squat must stay. The halo can eventually be replaced with an arm bar."
S&S By-The-Book & the warm-up

Also try lying prone, hinging, and squatting dislocates
I'll be sure to try these variations although I must admit I cant quite get a mental image of how one does this lying prone?

The search function works great
apparently it does, my bad Anna and thanks for pointing out just how well it does work. Interesting stuff, think I am going to have a look into the armbar soon.

I'll be sure to try these variations although I must admit I cant quite get a mental image of how one does this lying prone?

Lie on your stomach. Arms out stretched. Tense glutes drive toes into floor. Pack shoulders, tense triceps. Rotate pvc pipe behind back and extend thoracic spine. Touch butt with pipe, then back to floor. Every few reps move your hands closer together.

You can also do them lying face down on a bench, glute ham, or back extension.

I am just starting out with S&S but I have used a Gada more than once , my question is does the 10 to 2 or the 360 work the same muscles as a halo . It certainly feels like it

Lie on your stomach. Arms out stretched. Tense glutes drive toes into floor. Pack shoulders, tense triceps. Rotate pvc pipe behind back and extend thoracic spine. Touch butt with pipe, then back to floor. Every few reps move your hands closer together.

Thanks Geoff, very much appreciated I'll give it a go over the weekend

The halo is a great mobility exercise that can be adapted for strengthening the muscles of the upper chest, back, and shoulders complex but should be done so with care and caution. I started with a 16kg and then moved up gradually until i could use the 28kg easily. The key is keep shoulders packed, mid section taunt, crush bell handle and remember to move the bell around the head not head around the bell.

"4 inches from chest Pile"

your rep count of 20, to me would be over doing, stick to 5 and 5 with something that heavy making circular motion over head and do them occasionally. Change out one warm up per week to heavier movements with less weight to change the stimulus and shake it up.

but like @Steve Freides there is really no reason to go heavy in the halo unless you have specific reason and just because is not a safe reason. I only had limited number of bells.

I've recently dropped the halo from my warmup. I've never really noticed too much help with the following press work. If I'm really tight I have found them somewhat helpful but right now the windmill is my go to mobility warmup drill.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom