all posts post new thread

Help me dishonor myself - Honorably!

I am about to transfer to a unit that requires a PFT which includes a 1.5 mile run in 14:33. So I need to be training for that, while simultaneously focusing on Zone 2 LISS cardio

I'd start here: Method - Dr. Phil Maffetone

Problem is, according to the results, my Zone 2 HR is something like 95-120 bpm. If I even try to run, my HR is spiking to 130-150.

I’m talking months, (into years) and the sessions need to get to be relatively long as well. Start out slow, take your time.

This.

You'll need to alternate running and walking to keep your HR low enough. Your goal pace is around 9:40 per mile. I'd start by doing the test and seeing where you're at.

Also you don't mention your body composition, but dropping weight is something to consider.

As to keeping your kettlebell training, if you've got a short-term goal, I'd focus on achieving it, putting strength training on the back burner. A reasonable routine would be that you'd have a run/walk day followed by a kettlebell day and then a day off/easy that might include walking. You want to be rested for what's the focus of your training.

-S-

- I’ll check this out… I’m familiar with it but never dug in because, well, I hate cardio. Look where that got me.
You'll need to alternate running and walking to keep your HR low enough. Your goal pace is around 9:40 per mile. I'd start by doing the test and seeing where you're at.
- This is what I have been doing for a couple weeks. Shooting for a 9:00-9:15 pace just to give myself a margin for error. Using a HR monitor, I run for about a minute at that pace then walk till HR comes back to Z2– currently about 1:30-2:00. So roughly a 1:2 ratio. I’ll keep working those intervals down until I can maintain the pace.
Also you don't mention your body composition, but dropping weight is something to consider.
Yeah… about that … *looks around sheepishly*

I’m at 240 right now, could lose 25-30 lbs of fat easily and I know that would help. Got my diet pretty dialed in now so just need to do some quality work to keep the fires burning.

Thanks for the feedback.

I’m at 240 right now, could lose 25-30 lbs of fat easily and I know that would help. Got my diet pretty dialed in now so just need to do some quality work to keep the fires burning.
Every 10lbs adds about a minute to my mile time. Could just be me...

I’m at 240 right now, could lose 25-30 lbs of fat easily and I know that would help. Got my diet pretty dialed in now.
I’d put that at top of your list. If you’ll forgive some old, many-times-given advice, eat 250-500 calories per day less, and you’ll lose around 2.5 lbs per week. If you’re not losing weight now, I will respectfully ask how dialed-in your diet is.

We will note that I’m almost 100 lbs lighter than you and you might not wish to take diet advice from me, but the above is how I drop weight in the weeks leading up to PL competitions and it literally always works for me.

-S-

I’d put that at top of your list. If you’ll forgive some old, many-times-given advice, eat 250-500 calories per day less, and you’ll lose around 2.5 lbs per week. If you’re not losing weight now, I will respectfully ask how dialed-in your diet is.

We will note that I’m almost 100 lbs lighter than you and you might not wish to take diet advice from me, but the above is how I drop weight in the weeks leading up to PL competitions and it literally always works for me.

-S-
I’m only 15lbs lighter than him and I’d give the same advice.

Eric Bugenhagen (cued to his thoughts on cardio equipment) - fwiw, I have no idea if this is germane to the discussion here. I just find Eric a lot of fun to listen to.

I mostly agree with all of the above recommendations; get serious about cardio, commit to a long term and high(ish) volume approach based around easy effort (zone2).

BUT, to play devils advocate slightly; if you dislike cardio then this approach may never gain any traction, as it’s the most cardio of cardio protocols you could imagine.

Perhaps instead do a lower volume of training in that sweet spot between zone 2 aerobic efforts and anaerobic training. In your case, workouts in the 140-155 ish level, around 4-5 rpe.

There are some who will say this is totally the wrong way to train…. But I think it’s a realistic way of making some decent progress on limited time and recovery capacity.

Just a contrary view for consideration - because ultimately the program you like is the program you’ll do.

NB: you need to pick a medium that won’t injure you with this intensity. I’d say no to running personally

Back
Top Bottom