all posts post new thread

Hernia Pre and Post Op

Damn this forum can read my mind. Just got out of shower after heavy workout out. While in the shower I noticed a slight bump above my belly button like my inny was turning into an outy, this wasn’t there my previous shower. Didn’t feel anything while training, don’t feel anything atm either. But when I push on it there’s a little hollow almost hole feeling underneath.
Have I just given myself a bloody hernia?
Now I’m starting to stress. Don’t worry Steve not asking for diagnosis just happened to stumble on this thread while poking at it wondering what it is.
Are the supposed to hurt? This isn’t painful.
Should I get this looked at before tomorrows kettlebell session? There’s no pain. It has literally just happened though.

Damn this forum can read my mind. Just got out of shower after heavy workout out. While in the shower I noticed a slight bump above my belly button like my inny was turning into an outy, this wasn’t there my previous shower. Didn’t feel anything while training, don’t feel anything atm either. But when I push on it there’s a little hollow almost hole feeling underneath.
Have I just given myself a bloody hernia?
Now I’m starting to stress. Don’t worry Steve not asking for diagnosis just happened to stumble on this thread while poking at it wondering what it is.
Are the supposed to hurt? This isn’t painful.
Should I get this looked at before tomorrows kettlebell session? There’s no pain. It has literally just happened though.
Hernia does not always hurt.
Belly button hernias are less common, but they are there. First hand experience as well.
They can be fixed, however, this is a bit more complicated than groin hernias: more tension on the muscle.
If they are small (like 2-4 mm in diameter) - you will be offered the fix without a mesh. The chance of getting it again would be about 20% if you are active.
Mine was small and I have opted not to do it. It did not get bigger in 12 years. If yours does - you can always opt for an operation with a mesh (that was mine train of thought: I won't do it without a mesh, and for the mesh it needs to be bigger anyway).
My father's one was bigger. He had an emergency surgery - as a result he misses a belly button now :) . Just a scar there. But it probably won't come to that.
In short - if the whole underneath is like a AA battery (+) contact - no internal organs will probably get out, and you probably will be prompted to leave it alone.
All of the above is my personal experience and not an advice.

@Pavel.Kosenkov Thanks mate I was getting a bit panicky for a moment there. I use the ability to lift heavy things to help deal with other issues. I’ll test it out with today’s session & make an appointment with my doctor to see what he says.

Back
Top Bottom