all posts post new thread

Old Forum Hip Replacement

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Thom

First Post
Hello,

I am about 3 months post right hip replacement and doing S&S.  Up to #50 swings in the 5minutes and well below the 10 min for TGU's.  Just going slow as there is still some very significant strength deficienes there on the operated side.

Wondering if there are other folks out there (saw Dan John wrote a few things on his) and if anyone in the medical field cares to comment on how good/bad/indifferent they are to incorporating this exercise into post-rehab.

Thanks as always to the community and for the SF team for making this site available,

Thom

I didn't swing for probably a year. Did you have a THR? I really took my time coming back. 6 point rocks, walks on the beach, bodybuilding in machines, easy bike, row, and lots of swimming. I decided to take it long and slow. For KBs and TRX and the like, I brought them back about six to nine months later (after surgery).  Getting the Goblet Squat back was a milestone. Then, I just built back up.

18 months after surgery, I won the state weightlifting championship. The only issues I get now are occasional weather change stuff and occasional "ooooo, that was too much" stuff, but rarely.

I think the hinge and squat are really important, but slow is better than fast on both. I did lots of Bulgarian Goat Bag Swings really pushing the hamstrings back. That really helped.

I am not sure a program would have value. Recovery is more like ocean waves than linear. But, different strokes for different folks.

Thanks for the response Dan!  Very much appreciated and definitely think your approach, based on both your results and your background, have a lot of credibility.  As you are aware, this isn't a road that's traveled all that often, and information coming from a guy that 1) Knows the strength/conditioning world like very few do, and 2) has already gone through the post-THR recovery and come out successful is not something to be taken for granted.

So, I did have a THR.  My post should have said 13 months, not 3, post op.  Been doing the swimming, elliptical, air dyne for the last year and feeling good.  Goblet squats are back and ROM is about as good as pre-op.

Right now, i am doing S&S (evenings) along with a cannibalized/butchered (you make the call) version of your Easy Strength program.

Basically, I do the swings and TGU's at night and in the morning or during my lunch hour, I am doing a Push, Pull, Squat (Dbl KB Front squats) workout with 1 set of a Core  and 30-50 rep Explosive movement.  I do this 6 days a week.  On the "off" day, I am usually doing a long 60+ elliptical/swim/walk/etc. or nothing.

The loads are all "easy'ish" and between 5-10 reps for 2 sets.  Thus far, it seems as though my strength is starting to come back but I wasn't very strong previously anyway.  My goal is to get back my strength (appx 315 DL/225 Squat) and get back to a high level of conditioning (sub 20 minute 5k guy).  But aside from a yearly PT test (police), I'm not going to be running.

If it wouldn't be too much to ask, I would love to get your opinion on what I'm doing.  NOT asking for medical advice, I am cleared to do everything, I just really respect your insight from a strength training background and from the perspective of a guy that has walked a mile in the same shoes.

Best wishes and thanks in advance,

TM

To quote something you said earlier Dan (in an obvious and unapologetic attempt to guilt you into a response)

"Success leaves tracks, follow the tracks"

The difference between 3 and 13 helps me. That makes more sense. 12 months out, I did very light O lifting and hypertrophy, so we are doing the basic same thing.

You are fine. Not a lot of people should comment on this, but in the future, let's you and I talk and compare notes. If you haven't had a THR, you might not know the journey. Frankly, it was the single best thing I have ever done...but I was amazed at the baby steps.

So, yes. You are fine. dan@danjohn.net for anything else, okay?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom