all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Holding kettlebell in hook of hand during ballistics- is it necessary?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anothercascade0

Level 2 Valued Member
Most YouTube videos recommend holding the kettlebell in the hook Olof the fingers like the picture under to allow rotation during exercises that require the bell to rotate like snatches and cleans. My question is, is there a problem with gripping the bell deeper in the palm like you would a dumbbell but keeping it loose enough to allow the bell to rotate? I grip the handle in the base of my hand/palm, but not death gripping, keeping it loose. Is hook grip necessary?1633068615097.jpeg

Gripping the bell deeper in the hand during ballistics can sometimes aggravate calluses on the palm.
The hook grip is not necessary, and to my knowledge is not taught in the SF KB certs.

@Steve Freides , not a nutrition thread. Power To You.

Last edited:
@Anothercascade0, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

Your picture is of a competition type kettlebell and the technique you describe is used in kettlebell sport competitions - and by some folks here as well although, as @Don Fairbanks said, it's not something we teach and it's not necessary. For some kettlebell movements, gripping in the hooks of the fingers is recommended; for others, a deeper grip; for others, alternating between both grips. The kettlebell is a weight and, as such, can be used in a variety of ways.

Our recommendation is that new forum members start with a brief introduction - your goals, your current and past injuries, your available equipment, and whatever else you think might be relevant to helping us help you.

-S-

Most YouTube videos recommend holding the kettlebell in the hook Olof the fingers like the picture under to allow rotation during exercises that require the bell to rotate like snatches and cleans. My question is, is there a problem with gripping the bell deeper in the palm like you would a dumbbell but keeping it loose enough to allow the bell to rotate? I grip the handle in the base of my hand/palm, but not death gripping, keeping it loose. Is hook grip necessary?View attachment 14949
Necessary? Not necessarily ;-).

Useful? Yes, depending on your needs and application.

I've always used the hook grip (always = 20+ years) because it keeps stress off the callus line at the base of the fingers and is generally easier on the skin.

However, with the popularity of A+A snatch training (short sets of 5 or fewer reps with generous rest between sets, but with heavier bells), I've seen a number of other people using a deeper grip. So I recently started experimenting with this and I have come to like it for this application (short, heavy sets of snatches). It takes less finger strength, which can be a limiting factor when the bells get heavy, and you can finesse it so that it doesn't pinch or put more stress on the skin. In fact, with heavy bells it can actually reduce the stress on the skin.

So I started using the deep grip as my regular snatch grip. But recently I've started to incorporate some longer snatch sets, such as Q&D 044 with a 15/2 reps scheme, which calls for two 15 reps sets with the same hand in succession, with about 25 seconds of rest between them. I've also moved up to a heavier bell for my 10/2 Q&D snatch work. And I discovered that as the sets get longer, the deep grip results in a lot more forearm pump than the hook grip. As long as my hook grip is strong enough to hold onto the bell, I can stay more relaxed through a longer set and recover faster between sets. I'm sure GS athletes discovered this long ago and that's why GS technique has evolved in the direction it has.

So currently for me, it's deep grip for heavy snatch sets of 5 or fewer reps with generous recovery and switching hands each set, but hook grip for longer snatch sets of 10 or more reps, and when doing successive sets on the same hand.

Last edited:
I use the hook grip for 1H swings in S&S (10 reps per set) - mainly to keep stress off calluses and avoid over-gripping

I think it also depends on your hand size and the size of kettlebell handle. I have much thicker handle on my 32kg than on 28kg. I have to use hook grip with the 28kg, or I will get and rip calluses. Thicker handle of the 32kg seems to allow deeper grip.

You guys are talking about a standard overhand grip and using your fingers to hook around the kettlebell and not a hook grip, correct? Doesn't hook grip refer to using your fingers around your thumb like olympic weightlifters and some deadlifters do?

You guys are talking about a standard overhand grip and using your fingers to hook around the kettlebell and not a hook grip, correct? Doesn't hook grip refer to using your fingers around your thumb like olympic weightlifters and some deadlifters do?
Yes, the kettlebell hook grip is not the weightlifting hook grip.

With kettlebells, "hook grip" indeed just means hooking the handle with the fingers instead of gripping it deep in the palm. If your hands are big enough, it can also mean pinning your index finger to the handle with the thumb, like in the picture in the OP -- sort of the opposite of the weightlifting hook grip since the thumb is on top of the index finger instead of underneath the fingers.

Last edited:
I've experimented with grip techniques over the years and the so called "hook" grip never felt right to me. I've always found it more powerful to use a deep palm grip and relax the grip as the bell flips over. I've never competed in GS though and mostly done 200 or less reps of snatches. If you're competing in a high rep contest the palm grip would surely tear your hands up but for the lower rep training a deep palm grip always works best for me.

Deeper grip = heavier bells for me.

Hook grip led to finger strength being a limiting factor. In my swings and snatches.

*I’m not a SFG — just a dad trying to keep up my GPP for the weekend warrior stuff with the kids.

I keep the bell in my fingers, not in the palm. During swings keep the bell in your fingers instead of death-gripping the bell. During snatches you want the bell to fall from your palm into your fingers and back to the palm when overhead.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom