all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Horizontal Pulls > Vertical Pulls?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Imo it’s less about some special ratio and more about doing things that allow your scapulae to move. For example: All three powerlifting moves typically have people retracting the shoulder blades (even though benching is a push). Properly executed rowing motions will allow the scapulae to protract so that the muscles of the mid back end up in a stretched position, opening up the back. To this end, it also seems that a muscle in a stretched position sees better hypertrophy and strength to gains.

I could see how adding this to one’s regimen would help if you spend all your time retracting and depressing. However….Doing all your rows by keeping your shoulders blades squeezed back is not really addressing the issue.

Allowing the scapula to move better ensures that the glenoid fossa of the scapula (the socket) actually tracks with the head of the humerus. Moving your humerus one direction and either not moving your scapula or trying to basically move it in the opposite direction of humeral motion is probably what causes more problems. People might not need quite as many “bulletproofing” exercises for the shoulder if they weren’t constantly moving the shoulder blades in conflicting directions with the humerus.

All that is not even to mention that constantly compressing the back of your ribcage is likely flattening it, making it harder for the scaps to move. It seems like some people have moved from being “kyphotic” to just living in extension and potentially creating other issues.

Many of us are familiar with the anecdote “no one knew what the rotator cuff was before the bench press,” or some such. My thought is, yeah, because all the lifts prior to that were ones where you let the shoulder blades move.

Imo all the “push/pull ratio stuff” is making it more complex than needed. Just let your shoulder blades move.

Rotator cuff injuries have been an issue in baseball since Babe Ruth.
Among athletes where shoulders are an issue, yeah, it's always been a thing.
I don't know that rotator cuff injuries were such an issue w. the general populace until maybe 30 years ago, but I could be wrong about that and maybe people just put up w. chronic pain.

Anywho, relevant info in this recent thread: Kettlebell - Mobility for Jerks

Do you think it’s possible to do good pull-ups without adequate horizontal pulling strength, specifically scapular control?
Yes, I do think it's possible. A hollow position pullup is a different thing than what I call a bodybuilder pullup. Using myself as an example, I have never been able to bring my chest to the bar in a bodybuilder style pullup, but I'm pretty strong at hollow position pullups.

-S-

Does anyone actually say that?

Rotator cuff injuries have been an issue in baseball since Babe Ruth.
Maybe in sports I guess? I was referring more to lifting. I believe something like the anecdote I wrote is almost straight out of one of Pavel's books, when he was referencing old time strongmen. Maybe the anecdote is misplaced or I misused it or something. I stand by the rest of what I wrote though.

Maybe in sports I guess? I was referring more to lifting. I believe something like the anecdote I wrote is almost straight out of one of Pavel's books, when he was referencing old time strongmen. Maybe the anecdote is misplaced or I misused it or something. I stand by the rest of what I wrote though.

There is a whole world of S&C out there that involves actual rotator cuff injuries in actual sports that goes back decades.... ;)

Baseball, swimming, basketball, tennis, volleyball -- almost anything with a dynamic overhead throwing aspect or other arm motion can get rotator cuff RSI.

Enough that "overhead athletes" is a term.

Back
Top Bottom