all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How good are kettlebell swings?

I was doing a LOT of them. When I go to a gym, I do sets of 20 swings in between everything else. So, it ended up being 300. I've done the 10k challenge in 10 days 3 or 4 times. As I stated above, great for conditioning. The claims that you can increase or replace your deadlift or for hypertrophy are false. As a supplemental exercise for the deadlift, sure, but the Donnie Thompson claims are eyebrow raising at best.

I think you can get better returns during cleans and snatches. Though a PROPER swing is your base to do these other ballistics. Unfortunately, 95% of the people at my gym who do swings. A. don't program it correctly and B. use improper form. (Squat, Raise Arms, No Hip Snap)
Brian,

Thank you for the response.

If I may ask what weight(s) were you using for the swing?

In comparison to other hip dominant/hinge type movements there is not an eccentric portion of the swing... At least not to the level of say an RDL, good morning, SL DL etc... There is definitely an isometric component with the lats etc but you're not necessarily controlling the back phase of the swing unless you're over speeding the bell (which has merit)

I'm referring to a full total tut rep, the back swing of the kb swing you're not maintaining constant tension on the eccentric like those other movements there is a natural pause at the top and you don't load the hips until the bell gets closer to the zipper... If that makes more sense
I disagree with your description of the action of the swing and having been on force plates and looked at the eccentric component of the swing I can tell you there is a significant eccentric component.

The speed (and overspeed application) of the eccentric portion of the swing and the quick turnaround to the next concentric is unique to the swing and a major aspect of it's benefits.

Comparing the eccentrics of an RDL to the swing is not a good comparison IMO. (comparing a grind to a ballistic/power move)

I disagree with your description of the action of the swing and having been on force plates and looked at the eccentric component of the swing I can tell you there is a significant eccentric component.

The speed (and overspeed application) of the eccentric portion of the swing and the quick turnaround to the next concentric is unique to the swing and a major aspect of it's benefits.

Comparing the eccentrics of an RDL to the swing is not a good comparison IMO. (comparing a grind to a ballistic/power move)
fair enough, we will have to agree to disagree. ( I mean that with no disrespect)

fair enough, we will have to agree to disagree. ( I mean that with no disrespect)
No disrespect taken

According to the force plate data I generate 3 to 3.5 times bodyweight eccentric load during the eccentric portion of the swing...wayyyy more than I could RDL so there is a significant eccentric action and benefit to the swing.

Agreement not required.

I really like the swing. I have been transitioning from 32k to 40k on S&S. I found I could do hand over hand rope climbs after swinging the 40k with one hand.

The pushup is probably good enough for most people. Hershel Walker claimed to get strong after doing little other than push ups growing up.

I think you can trust Pavel's choice of pushups and swings as a stand-alone general fitness program. Buy the book and follow the program and you'll get results, in my experience.

If you want to add other movements, I think you can do so freely. I would advise adding movements that feel good and are intellectually interesting. I would advocate for these moves in order of effect: carries, crawling, marching, and LISS exercise.

Do a program by the book and sprinkle in some other things that feel good. Don't stress about it. Trust the process. Know that the truest progress will be in a year, two years, five years and longer from now.

Back
Top Bottom