all posts post new thread

"How-Low-Can-You-Go-Low-Low-Bar-Squats"

And the rhetorical question is to communicate that it's not worth interest or discussion?...

I think it's a great discussion.

However, I always think concrete examples are a great way to help the discussion along. That's why I had a look for the squat video in my earlier post.

So, if that is fine, could we see one where the depth is lacking and the bar is too low? And since the referees or judges were brought along for the ride, one that is done in an international meet. I'll even be gregarious and settle for the nationals.

Surely, I jest. Still, as a judge and a lifter in the most popular powerlifting fed, I do sometimes feel the need to defend the sport and the judging. Surely no one wants baseless accusations flying around?

So, if that is fine, could we see one where the depth is lacking and the bar is too low? And since the referees or judges were brought along for the ride, one that is done in an international meet. I'll even be gregarious and settle for the nationals.
My intended focus of the thread was not depth, nor a referendum on judging. Yeah, I mentioned depth in the original post and made the point that a close stance can make it harder to hit depth, but yeah, I'm only really interested in bar position and how low is too low and does it matter if you can stand upright with the weight. I don't know what level the girl in the OP competes in.
Surely, I jest. Still, as a judge and a lifter in the most popular powerlifting fed, I do sometimes feel the need to defend the sport and the judging. Surely no one wants baseless accusations flying around?
Again, this is the internet. Don't take it personally. I don't remember accusing anyone of anything other than having a terrible looking squat but I'll reread what I've written.

My intended focus of the thread was not depth, nor a referendum on judging. Yeah, I mentioned depth in the original post and made the point that a close stance can make it harder to hit depth, but yeah, I'm only really interested in bar position and how low is too low and does it matter if you can stand upright with the weight. I don't know what level the girl in the OP competes in.

Again, this is the internet. Don't take it personally. I don't remember accusing anyone of anything other than having a terrible looking squat but I'll reread what I've written.

I'm sorry, I tried to talk in general, I wasn't pointing any accusations specifically towards you.

From what I understand from a cursory glance, Chapon competes internationally, very successfully so, and Blom has won Swedish nationals. I couldn't find any videos on Blom in the competition, though. If I had to judge based on the video you posted on her in training, it looks like the bar is too low and she doesn't stand upright, though I can't see it well before she starts the lift. No question on depth. The bench looks fine, I don't think there's an excessive arch and the elbows come down enough. The deadlift is fine as well.

Maybe this guy is why I hear people calling it the "French Low Bar Squat" idk:
I asked, and got answers from several people I know are officials, that this would not pass not only in the USPA, it likely would not pass in any powerlifting federation. The video is from the Arnold UK, I believe.

-S-

Back
Top Bottom