all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How many of us have completed the 24kg snatch test?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

thegoldengod

Level 5 Valued Member
I just started training with the 24kg about a month or so ago with the goal of being able to pass the snatch test. It seems incredibly daunting at this point. My grip strength is not there to go for 5 minutes for sure.

How many of you are able to complete the 24kg snatch test? How did you prepare? How long did it take to get you to pass the 24kg snatch test from the time you started training?

Last edited:
I have done it multiple times. What I did originally was do primarily swings with 32kg until I could do 100 in 5 minutes. I also trained snatch technique with lighter weights at the time. Then I did a basic peaking protocol in which I did 7/7 emom x5 minutes and eventually increased to 9/9 x5 minutes. Then at the TSC, I was able to do 100 for the first time.

I wouldn’t rush the rest periods though initially. Spend time getting really comfortable doing 100 reps + in a session with 24kg before you worry about compressing rest periods for the test. Good luck! Make sure you dial in your technique and you will find it to be very doable!

I prefer the Dan John approach: Multiple sets of 100 with lighter weights. As you get closer to the deadline, the sets creep up from the likes of 12kg to 20kg. The details are out there in various articles. This worked far, far better for me than going heavier. But everyone's path is different.

Definitely good stuff to do if all you have is one 24kg kettlebell available to you.

I just started training with the 24kg about a month or so ago with the goal of being able to pass the snatch test. It seems incredibly daunting at this point. My grip strength is not there to go for 5 minutes for sure.

How many of you are able to complete the 24kg snatch test? How did you prepare? How long did it take to get you to pass the 24kg snatch test from the time you started training?
I haven't completed it with 24kg (but have with 20kg), but the SFG I worked with swore by the progression in this article (see Tip 4):
4 Tips to Make the SFG Snatch Test Easier | StrongFirst
I will probably use that for my Light day progression when I do Rite of Passage with 24kg later this year. Note that you have to go heavy here: a bell you can only snatch 5-7 times before form breaks down. So 28kg or 32kg if you are wanting to test with 24kg.

I agree with others that you should get comfortable with 100 total reps in a session, in sets of 5-10 per arm (resting between each arm), before you start working on density.

I've done the women's standard of 100 snatches in 5 min with the 16kg a bunch of times. The first time I tried a snatch test with 16kg I got 85 reps and I thought it was going to kill me. The first time I made 100 was a few weeks before my SFG I cert to make sure I could do it there, and by then it was still hard but I did it confidently and had some time to spare. My SFG prep training program (written by Al Ciampa and outlined in this article) got me there quite nicely. You could adapt that program for your weights and I'm sure it would work well. Others have used the plan and it worked well for them too. One interesting thing about that plan is that I really didn't snatch excessively. Swings and presses built a good base, and the conditioning was ramped up towards the end as needed.

The reason the snatch test is such a good overall test is that so many things figure into it -- hinge and power generation (based in strength), kettlebell handling and grip skill, upper body endurance for lockout and holding the bell, and overall endurance and conditioning. It also takes some well-planned and executed training, determination and focus, and mental fortitude.

I have done the 24kg for 100 snatches in 10 minutes by doing 10 snatches on the minute. I'm still a long ways away from 100 in 5 minutes. A few weeks ago, Industrial Strength Gym posted a video on Instagram of a woman who did the 24kg for 100 snatches in 5 minutes. She's the only woman I know of to have done that. It was quite awesome!!

If grip is an issue, 32 or 36kg one arm swings are a great accessory movement to help you build up.

what's your baseline at the moment?

Ah, I get to do a "back in my day post." About 10 years ago I walked into a gym near my office and started working out with a guy who was with the previous organization before it went soft. I had no idea what kettlebells were and he started us all off with swings, cleans, and snatches. At the time the only options we had were 16, 24 and 32, and the 16s were "for the ladies". After about 3 months of training the 10-minute USSSST came up as a workout and he said that the expectation was 200 with the 24 for the men. It sucked but I got 212. Since he didn't make a big deal about it, I didn't have a chance to get scared, so I just did what I was told.

After that, I bet that I had about 5 years of workouts where I didn't go more than a week without some kind of high-volume snatch workout, so now it's just burned into my brain. I don't even train for the snatch test anymore. I just do it twice a year at the TSC when it comes up, it's just automatic. 5 minutes is so nice compared to the old 10-minute test.

There are lots of good programs on SF - they've been all linked above, but a real simple thing is to just snatch the 24 often and sometimes with lots of volume.

I love having all of the smaller increments now, but there's something about the old-school approach of having very limited weights and needing to make do. Keep snatching (correctly) and it will get so burned into your brain. Once it becomes automatic, the 5 minutes is up before you get a chance to reflect on how bad you feel.

My go to snatch prep plan is based on an article by Ken Froese that was based on a plan by Randy Hauer. My take on the plan is to incorporate a 28kg bell in addition to a 24kg bell. I find that the 28 gives me enough overload to make the 24 feel easy, but I can still do a reasonable amount of volume with it. Here's the plan:

Test the maximum number of repetitions you can do with your weaker hand with both the 28kg and the 24kg. Do both tests relatively fresh. Make it a slightly uncomfortable max, but not all out to where you are compromising technique to hold onto the bell. Now calculate 120% of each number. That is the number of snatches you will do in each session with each arm, with each bell, but you will break that number up into two sets for each arm for each bell, using a different split each session. There are three sessions per week. The first is a 70%/50% split, the second day is 60%/60%, and the third day is 80%/50%.

Each day follows the same format, but with a different split. Start with 28kg. Do both sets with the same arm with 1 minute rest in between, then train the other arm. Then switch bells without resting and do the same thing with 24kg. Here's what the 70/50 session would look like:

28kg: 70%L/Rest 1 min/50%L/70%R/Rest 1 min/50%R
24kg: 70%L/Rest 1 min/50%L/70%R/Rest 1 min/50%R

Adjustments:
--You can reset maxes once a month, or when the current level starts feeling comfortable.
--At the beginning, if you need a minute rest when switching bells, that's okay.
--If you have trouble completing the sessions at the beginning, scale down your maxes so you can get all your reps.
--If you are not comfortable with snatching 28kg, you can start using all 24kg, or any combination of bells that is appropriate for you. If you need to start with lighter bells, you will need to allow for a longer preparation period before you can expect to crush the test, but this would be true of any prep plan. If you can already do a high volume and longer sets with 32kg, you probably don't need a plan to prepare for the test.
--The original plan was only one run through per session with just 24kg, supplemented by swings for more conditioning volume. When I prepped for my last certification test, I did a lot of heavy swings with a combination of grips, at least one very high volume session each week (400-800 swings, but mostly 500-600). If I were doing it today, I would do less swings (enough for technique practice) and more double cleans. Double cleans overload the ballistic hinge, but aren't as hard on your grip recovery since the weight is split between hands, and the bell path is more similar to the snatch than the swing is. Snatches fly up when you are doing a high volume of double cleans with the same size bells.

Edit: One other thing I threw in the mix every once in a while was snatch time ladders. For each work set, keep the bell in the air the whole time. "Rest" in the lockout. Don't worry about cadence, don't worry about counting reps, and switch hands as often as you need to, just keep the bell off the ground for the allotted time. Snatch 1 minute/rest 1 minute/snatch 2 minutes/rest 1 minute/snatch 3 minutes/rest 1 minute/snatch 4 minutes. I never went above 4 minutes, but that was bad enough after the previous sets.

This program enabled me to very comfortably complete the snatch test in 4:00, without putting the bell down, using a rep scheme of 20/20/15/15/10/10/10. I like this rep scheme because after three hand switches, you are already at 70 reps, and you can start and finish on your strong hand (nothing says you have to do the same number of sets or reps with each hand). As @miked pointed out above, you are done just when it starts to get uncomfortable. The 200 reps x 10 minute test is a whole other animal for a number of reasons, including the one below:

A solid overhead position, where you can support the bell with your structure and alignment, rather than muscle power, makes a big difference in continuous snatching because you can "rest" as you fixate each rep. If you have to fight keep the bell in the lockout with muscle power, you fatigue a lot faster and you can't really slow your cadence because you will burn yourself out holding the bell overhead. So it becomes a pick your poison dilemma: burn out your lungs and/or grip and/or hips by going faster, or burn out your deltoids and triceps holding up the bell. In a five minute test, it's not as big a deal, but in a ten minute test, it becomes a huge deal.

Finally, I believe a strong aerobic base will greatly facilitate this training, form both a performance standpoint and a recovery standpoint.

Last edited:
I've done the old guy 20k test many times. I'm interested to see how much different it feels next time after doing VWC for awhile. I may try the 24 in the future
@miked 212 in 10 with 24 is AWESOME, respect..

Five 24kg getups consecutively on each side with 32kg swing and double swing boosted up the basis.

Develop the feeling where having 24kg overhead is rest position with explosiveness from lower body.
Fill in whatever you need in between these components.

I suggest at least six months of dedicated training.

Last edited:
The first time I had to do the snatch test, for my initial cert, I followed Brett Jones' protocole:
- Heavy swings day. Starting from 10 sets EMOM 2H-swings with a 32, transitioning to 10+10 1H-swings over weeks. 3 weeks before the cert, I was doing the 200 1H swings in 10 min.
- volume snatch day. I used a 16kg and did long sets (15 to 20 reps), sometimes even go for 100 reps without putting the bell down.
- density snatch day. The real deal. Starting with 16 min of 4+4 snatches with a 24kg, EMOM. I was surprised that 128 snatches were not a big deal, after all. I progressed up to 8+8 snatches EMOM.
I did 97 snatches at the cert. The program worked, but I needed a few more weeks.
Let's add that 6 months before the cert, my heavier snatch ever had been with a 16kg! Altogether, it took me approximately 8-9 months to achieve the snatch test.

The second time, going as an assistant, I followed Aleks Salkin's advice:
- swing heavy and often. I used 28kg, 32kg, 40kg, EMOM, one-handed, 4 to 24 min, with a lot of variability in time and load, 2 to 4 times a week.
- snatch a heavier kettlebell once a week. I started with 28kg, EMOM, 3+3, 3+3, 0, 3+3, 3+3. I finished on a Sunday prior to the test with 8+8, 8+8, 0, 7+7, 7+7, so 60 snatches with a 28kg.
On Wednesday, I snatched the light guy KB (20kg). After 60 snatches with 28kg, it felt like a toy (20+20, 15+15, some rest and fast and loose, 10, 10, 10).

Both approaches worked well.
I am now sticking to the second one, because my limitation is more strength than cardio, so an overload snatch makes more sense to my particular case.

One thing to find out is the rep scheme that fits your style and limitations.
Many use 10+10, EMOM. When I did, I failed every time. My limitation being strength, not cardio, a short break every minute did not provide me much benefit, but made me lose precious time. It seems a good scheme for bigger guys, not light ones.
I now use the 20,20,15,15, rest, 10, 10, 10.
Advantage: by the time I put the bell down, I am around 3min30, have done 70 reps, and only have three 10-reps sets to finish the test. Psychologically, it makes it a lot easier to finish.

Did it 5 years ago. Was doing the test without training for it when I was doing TTC workout. Did 94 with a 25 kg (I have 55's)
Did 108 with a 45. So only 8 months away from being a master at 50 :)

In my opinion, the key is to NOT PUT THE BELL DOWN. If you can catch your breath while the bell is overhead, you'll can do it. Every time the bell gets put down, time and courage is lost.

1 set of 8, 8 6 sets of 7, 7 done. Grip fatigue is alleviated by multiple hand switches.

With the 45, I've done the 20,20,15,15,10,10 5,5 . Mentally I can see how this is successful, but the grip gets sloppy from reps 70 -100

Where I fatigue is in my feet, calves and hamstrings.

I wouldn't train too much with lighter weight. Do it once or twice, get to 100, evaluate how you feel. Did the 200 in 10 with a 35 a couple of years ago, didn't put the bell down, it wasn't fun. 10 sets of 10,10

Start with low reps, 3,3 for 5 minutes see how it goes, after a couple of weeks, do 4,4 and so on.

That was my strategy as I was used to doing S&S in test mode only for the year prior. Kinda crazy now that I think about it but that's what I did.
It’s how I did my 5:00 test at a TSC (20kg Men’s Novice) and in retrospect it wasted a lot of time, especially the hand switch in the middle. Resting in the rack for a few seconds would’ve been better, maybe setting the bell down once after ~3:00.

It’s how I did my 5:00 test at a TSC (20kg Men’s Novice) and in retrospect it wasted a lot of time, especially the hand switch in the middle. Resting in the rack for a few seconds would’ve been better, maybe setting the bell down once after ~3:00.

Hey Sean, I knew I could bang out 20 reps/minute like clockwork, and that I would have an extra 5 secs rest before starting in the last minute. My observer counted every 10th rep and gave me time OTM. This put me there with around 12 seconds to spare every time in practice.

TSC is a different animal as you're going for max reps vs. target reps. I think I'll be working on a different strategy going forward. The only reason I used the OTM strategy was because I knew it was foolproof (for me) and in line with what my body was used to doing, changing strategies isn't a good idea in the weeks leading up to the event. Confidence is everything at the cert. I also knew I'd be running on fumes after 2 days of getting my butt kicked.

Hey Sean, I knew I could bang out 20 reps/minute like clockwork, and that I would have an extra 5 secs rest before starting in the last minute. My observer counted every 10th rep and gave me time OTM. This put me there with around 12 seconds to spare every time in practice.

TSC is a different animal as you're going for max reps vs. target reps. I think I'll be working on a different strategy going forward. The only reason I used the OTM strategy was because I knew it was foolproof (for me) and in line with what my body was used to doing, changing strategies isn't a good idea in the weeks leading up to the event. Confidence is everything at the cert. I also knew I'd be running on fumes after 2 days of getting my butt kicked.
Yeah I was going for 100 (never done it before, didn't own a 20kg bell so I trained with 16kg and then lower-rep sets with 24kg), and was used to 10+10, and it worked - but if I were going for max reps I wouldn't use it because of the time-wasting.

It seems you basically have to do speed switches and not the set the bell down, or at most set it down once, to get the most reps in 5:00 (this is what the guys who dominated the snatch test at my TSC did...being in the Novice group I got to watch in amazement the Open group do their test).

I'm excited to hear we have a strong cadre that has achieved 16kg (womens)/24kg (mens) snatch standards!

A few takeaways:

1. If you don't have a heavier bell than 24kg, practice with the 24kg trying to get 100+ reps in until solid.

2. If you have a heavier bell than 24kg, practice heavy swings, heavy snatches until 24kg seems light

3. Fix grip fatigue and endurance by practicing :)

At the moment I only have a 24kg (and a pair of 16kgs). I'm going to give A+A snatches w/ the 24kg a go and see how I build up to it. The thinking is:

- A+A to build aerobic base over time
- Get volume in w/o fatiguing in longer sessions

I'm able to do S&S with 100 swings in 5 minutes, and 10 getups under 10 minutes w/ the 24kg

Last edited:
At the moment I only have a 24kg (and a pair of 16kgs). I'm going to give A+A snatches w/ the 24kg a go and see how I build up to it. The thinking is:

- A+A to build aerobic base over time
- Get volume in w/o fatiguing in longer sessions

A+A snatches will build strength endurance too..
You could also do double swings with the 16's and 24's for raw power

Heavy A+A snatches are part of my future plans and I'm strengthening the shoulders to handle it

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom