all posts post new thread

Kettlebell I Cant Finish The Long Haul Program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jordan Skinner

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi Guys/ Gals

Wondering if you might be able to share your opinions on something. I started @Geoff Neupert s Long Haul program from More KB Muscle in January and I am having trouble finishing the program, its murder.

I managed to get to week 8 with no problem using a pair of 12kg bells. It is tough but I could manage to complete every workout with the prescribed rests. But in week 8 it goes to 5 sets with a 1:1 rest I just can't finish the heavy day. I can finish the medium and light days but the heavy day kills me and I fatigue and then end up stopping short because I worry about my form blowing out and hurting myself.

I have been trying to complete week 5 for 2 weeks but just can't get it. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you overcome it? I am only using 2 12kg bells as well.

any help would be appreciated

@Jordan Skinner
The Long Haul is pretty brutal.

One thing to consider is your cadence.

Except for the swings that are the finisher for each complex, all the drills allow you to pause in the rack, or the lockout, or both. Take your time, pace yourself and take a few breaths between reps; use those pauses as recovery between reps. You're still working because you're still supporting the bells, so it still "counts" as a continuous work set. It's pacing yourself, not resting.

And it also offers an additional avenue for progress besides reducing the rest between sets: being able complete the work sets at a faster pace with the same rest interval.

I also agree with other posters who recommend cooking the rest intervals as needed.

Last edited:
@Jordan Skinner
The Long Haul is pretty brutal.

One thing to consider is your cadence.

Except for the swings that are the finisher for each complex, all the drills allow you to pause in the rack, or the lockout, or both. Take your time, pace yourself and take a few breaths between reps; use those pauses as recovery between reps. You're still working because you're still supporting the bells, so it still "counts" as a continuous work set. It's pacing yourself, not resting.

And it also offers an additional avenue for progress besides reducing the rest between sets: being able complete the work sets at a faster pace with the same rest interval.

I also agree with other posters who recommend cooking the rest intervals as needed.
@Jordan Skinner -

LOTS of wisdom from Steve W. here.

Please apply what he says where you're able then get back to us with your results.

Time for a little throwback

Circa 2016-2017 when Kettlebell Hard was still called MKM, I remember mentioning to Geoff in a text message that I applied the strength shortcuts principle "as fresh as possible" to the wolf so I rested as needed..

The result? Despite not following the rest periods, in exchange that meant I was able to use heavier bells (if memory serves me right, I was able to use 24s for light day) so I still got a lot of work because that meant the same volume with a heavier load..

Lesson here: no shame in sacrificing density unless you're aiming to really build some lactic acid tolerance.. although being able to handle heavier load with longer rest also helps with that but at a lower metabolic and hormonal cost

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom